Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Lightbulb In & Out

Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade906 View Post
    Well in the future i would like to have a bunch of lenses but right now i just want to get the one that will fit all my needs (indoors and out)
    Look, "Switch", with Summer season coming, the 28-75mm f/2.8 (FF & APS-C lens) is a terrific "right down the middle" lens. It provides the flexibility, resolution, sharpness and brilliance anyone could ask for and get for under $450 (TAMRON). It was my walk-around lens for two years, before I went and dropped a grand on the SIGMA 24-70mm f/2.8 DG EX IF HSM. (I was looking for a little more punch on the edges, doing side-to-side landscapes with models.)

If you find yourself inside more often, during the winter, then the 17-50 f/2.8 (APS-only lens) is the wiser move. Same as the 28-75, just w-i-d-e-r viewing on the smaller sensors (α100-α700, SLT-α33, SLT-α55).

Future growth dictates that you then add the better telephoto-class SONY 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G SSM for reach and you should have a reasonable bag for your standard shooting.

Then add a TAMRON SP AF 60mm f/2 Di-II LD MACRO (allows you to focus closer and with low light) for indoor work and you are "golden" for almost any situation.

My experience says that's the line-up. You can always upgrade, later, as necessary. Do not forget to get a flash, though (HVL-F42AM or HVL-F58AM). That's your "go to" weapon of choice, when all else fails.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-06-2011 at 06:04 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Thanks alot. you guys alway give me really good information

Lightbulb The standard bag ...

No matter what camera system you are using, this is pretty much the "standard" for the beginner's camera bag, unless you insist on using a "super-zoom", such as a 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3, which is a nice-to-have lens when you are on vacation or traveling as light as possible.

The 18-250 is "a solution", but not the overall answer to the photographer. It compromises a lot of aspects of various optics to do what it does and by doing so, it can be a little frustrating getting used to these "compromises."

Many have called it the "mom" lens, because moms tend to like it because it is quick and dirty, and is a one-lens-solution for their day trips with junior. For the person that is looking to achieve more than a 'candid shot' from their DSLR/SLT ... a better, more segregated selection of lenses is the better and preferred option for most photographers.

Most of all, have fun with your system, as you build it up, but always look for ways to improve. That's the real growth aspect of your hobby.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-06-2011 at 08:18 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi