Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Charleston SC Air Expo

http://charlestonairexpo.com/

The Joint Base Charleston will be holding an Air Expo on April 9th here in South Carolina. I own a 31 foot travel trailer and plan on setting it up on base for a couple of days before and after the Expo for maximum exposure for photos.

You are all invited to come to Charleston and see what the Deep South has to share (bugs and heat included). Hope to get a couple to use on the POTD thread.

Don, your the Air Expo Expert, IM me with any tips and ideas that I can look forward to using.
    Joe Holmes
    Sony α550
    Sony HVL-F42AM Flash
    Sony DT18-55 F3.5-5.6 (Kit Lens)
    Minolta Maxxum 50 1:1.7(22) Prime
    Minolta 35-70 F4 (Mini Beercan)
    Minolta 70-210 F4 (Beercan)
    Minolta 28-135 F4-4.5 (This beast is pretty heavy)
    Minolta Maxxum 100-200 F4.5
    Quantaray D28-90 1:3.5-5.6 Ver 5
    Tamron DiII 55-200 1:4.5-6

Lightbulb Lens assist

Hey Joe,

I can rent you my TAMRON SP AF 200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD for use at the show. Believe me, it is long glass on an APS-C sensor, with the understanding, you break it you buy it.

Contact me if your interested and I will ship it right out. It can save you a lot of walking.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Don, Really...Thanks for the offer, but alas, Mom said "NO!"
    She said that if she's not gonna let me buy a new lens what makes me think she will let me buy you a new lens
    I guess I will have to suffer through the equipment that I have in my bag.
    I figure that most of the photos will be of stationary items, on the ground, with plenty of light.
    Might be able to do this without screwing it up
    Joe Holmes
    Sony α550
    Sony HVL-F42AM Flash

Quote Originally Posted by joenmell View Post
    ..... You are all invited to come to Charleston and see what the Deep South has to share (bugs and heat included)............
    Nice of you to offer Joe (lol) but I'm already committed to another "Deep South" at that time. That is, Andalucia in Spain; it will be nice to see the sun for a change.
    One good thing about being retired is that there are no pressing schedules to tie you down.

Camera's are allowed on the base then?
    i've been calling people all do and no one had answers

Cool ... fallling away

Quote Originally Posted by joenmell View Post
    Don, Really...Thanks for the offer, but alas, Mom said "NO!"
    She said that if she's not gonna let me buy a new lens what makes me think she will let me buy you a new lens
    I guess I will have to suffer through the equipment that I have in my bag.
    I figure that most of the photos will be of stationary items, on the ground, with plenty of light.
    Might be able to do this without screwing it up
    Joe, I'm not even going to force someone to "rent" a lens they need for shooting at air shows. If you can live w/o it, man, more power to ya. I simply could not. I saw all the regular folks with their standard selection of lenses ... straining to get "anything", but I tell ya, that 500mm delivers the goods.

The real magic to long glass is that you can close that gap between you and your subject without taking a single step ... and at an airshow, that means getting a sharp image of the plane not only as it is soaring 500-1000 feet over your head, but also across the airstrip, taxiing or racing along the runway, at break-neck speed.

I've been at this for several years ... and doing the show w/o the 200-500 ... why, that's just unthinkable.

I mean, no one ever ran up to me and offered this kind of optical support, while I was trying to figure out how I could afford it. I had to sport all the "front end" cash myself, no matter how many times I used the glass. Believe me, it is not even a monthly thing, which only makes the ROI (return-on-investment) that much poorer.

That's just the way it goes, I suppose. I would love to be part of an "optical pool," if there was such a beast, for high-end or special glass for SONY dslrs, where someone else bore the brunt of the initial investment costs and would leave me access to lenses like a 500mm f/4, an 800mm f/4.5 or perhaps the monstrous SIGMA 200-500mm f/2.8! I have to say, most of my glass has been with me for a long time ... and there is only one other guy, in the area, that I know of, who is even close to having the array I have accumulated. Hell, even that would be a stretch. We are just too few and far between to make this a practical idea.

So, Joe ... if "Mom" cannot appreciate the wisdom of a quick lens rental for a particular project and the "pay for it, if you damage it" idea behind this ...

then you, my friend, are going waiting a long time for long glass. Every zoom lens, even close to 500mm, is going to be right next to $1000 or even a lot more. All I am interested in it getting some "return" on my FULL investment in the glass and you getting a couple great shots over a day or two, then you are done using it and it comes back home.

Good luck with your shoot and let's see what you get.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-08-2011 at 11:12 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Wow those are some really good shots.....

Question I don't know, officer ...

Well, it was all the lens ... I happened to be holding the camera, when it ... just went off.

Ain't that right, 'Rooz?'

Nah ... thanks for the compliment. The secret of photography ... be there when the shot hits!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-07-2011 at 10:37 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Don, far be it from me to doubt the wisdom in your posts. But, alas, the funding for lens rental falls just below a night out at chik-fil-a as far as the rest of the family are concerned.
    To make matter worse, It appears that far too many people had the same idea that I had with taking a camp site early and enjoying the weekend with a little more accessability. All the sites were taken early on and I couldn't get a campsite to set up on base. That was probably a good thing since we received a change in the childrens soccer schedules, and now all three of my children have a game at 10:00 AM that Saturday morning. Therefore, we will not be able to go see any of the airshow, and will have to enjoy what we can from afar.
    Destiny has a way of making life difficult.
    Joe Holmes
    Sony α550
    Sony HVL-F42AM Flash

Unhappy I am right there with ya

Believe me, Joe ...

It does make you wonder if we pack a little too much in our lives, these days. I was scheduled to go the the Oshkosh Airshow, last year, and had to completely blow it off when the government budget and powers that be crippled the military's participation in it.

For me, half the fun it going to see the performance jets we are paying top dollar to have built and then occasionally used in the three war theaters we have going around the world. I mean I love watching the A-10 "Warthog" rain holy-hell from the sky or the "way-over-budget" F-35 "Lightning II" do its thing over the heads of the sun-baked maddening crowd.

Don't get me wrong, it's still great to see an old war-house P-51 "Mustang" or P-38 "Lighting" sweep back and forth, but we have seen those planes for 70-years, now. I am ready for something NEW when I go, say a super-secret "Aurora" aircraft with drone attached or something you just won't see anywhere but Groom Lake, Nevada.

Name:  Aurora_x-plane_2.jpg
Views: 8048
Size:  19.6 KB

But, as you say, fate (or government planning, in this case) has a weird way of messing it all up.

I have relented in going to the Rockford airshow, which is at a commercial airport and a lot less congested. You are not tripping all over people's private planes, either.

I am sorry to hear you will not be able to attend the airshow. If they are as good as they should be, it is an event not to be missed. I wish the Chicago Air & Water Show was a little more stretched out, and alleviate the crowd congestion, but they narrow the operating area to the North Avenue Beachfront and pack over a million folks in that narrow strip. One year, to avoid the crowd, I even went to the top of the John Hancock Building's Observation Deck to get images, but the windows were cluttered with hand-prints and bird droppings, so the images were cloudy looking and required a lot of touch-up. My experience revealed to me that you just cannot shoot through windows and expect decent, sharp imaging. I knew there would be a compromise, but it was almost beyond bad. It did make for a fun-looking panorama, though.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-08-2011 at 11:39 AM.

flickr & Sdi