Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: K-mount DSLR?

K-mount DSLR?

I shot literally thousands of pictures with a Pentax K-1000, mostly slides, and while I don't shoot as much as I used to, I did pick up a professional slide duplicator at an auction which also takes the K-mount (it may be an adaptor on the unit, I'd have to look at it again). My little basic point and shoot digital is getting worn out, and I was thinking of replacing it, and it seems like it would make sense to get one that I can also hang on the duplicator and transfer my own slides to digital.

I see I can get DSLRs that will take the Pentax mount lenses, which would also be helpful since I have a couple of decent zoom lenses for the old K-1000 it would be nice to re-use. I'd almost prefer to be able to go to manual focus, shutter and ISO so I could shoot the way I'm used to with the old camera; I rarely got a bad picture with the K-1000, I don't need a camera that thinks for me. In fact the slow auto-focus on the point and shoot has always made it annoying to try to use for anything but stills, and I read a lot of reviews that indicated this can be an issue with a lot of digital cameras.

It would be nice to have one with a little better low-light performance than the cheap point and shoot (a Fuji Finepix that's about 10 years old), too, the old one is a little lacking in certain situations. Probably most of the time now I'm taking pictures of things for eBay, occasionally taking pictures of people (portrait mostly), and the other times would be panoramic stills or action shots of moving vehicles. Size isn't an issue, ability to shoot video isn't important, and I don't see me doing a lot to upgrade it in the future if my old stuff will work with it.

And of course the cheaper the better, used isn't an issue, both my K-1000s were used when I got them. I almost would prefer one that runs regular batteries if the life is decent simply because if you're away from home and it dies you can just buy new ones if you have to.

Any thoughts? A K10D might do it, they're fairly reasonable used.

Both the K10 and K2o are rather physically large cameras. The Km, or Kx might be more the size you are accustomed to in the past.

Sarah Joyce

Exeter, UK
    Any Pentax DSLR would have better low light performance than your old Fuji point and shoot, even though some Fujis were better than average in their day. The more recent models (K-m, K-r or K5) are particularly good at high ISO sensitivities. Pentax also have the best compatibility with old lenses - KA lenses (with an "A" setting on the aperture ring) will allow fully auto exposure, and even fully manual lenses get metering.

Samsung also made K mount DSLRs that were almost identical to some of the Pentax models - the GX series.

Watch out for some Ricoh lenses that can get jammed though.

Remember that Pentax DSLRs have a sensor that's smaller than a standard 24x36mm film frame: this so called crop factor of 1.5 means that your lenses will have a narrower field of view - a picture taken with a 100mm lens will look like a 150mm was used, in terms of field of view. You might want to get a wide angle with the DSLR body, even the standard kit 18-55mm isn't too bad, in any of its versions.
    Last edited by AlexMonro; 03-18-2011 at 06:34 PM.

Derbyshire, UK
    Just a personal comment having handled all the latest range of Pentax dslrs at the Focus on Imaging show recently I was particularly impressed with their compactness and handling. They just felt nice to use. I know that;s not very scientific but in the brief time I had with them it was my overiding memory.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Livin in a redneck paradise
    If manual focus is the main use I'd be looking for the one with the largest viewfinder.

Alternatively you could get a micro 4/3 camera or Samsung NX10 with a electronic viewfinder and k-mount adapter. It seems manual focus is even easier on these than on optical viewfinders because the electronic viewfinders are bigger and allow you to easily zoom in to check focus.