Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tips for the day

1/ Take a torch with you when shooting sunsets as it lets you see the combination on your bike lock !!!!
    I just managed to unset my lock after about 5min but very nearly had to walk home

2/ Get a stable tripod/setup - lost about 1/3rd of my photos due to camera shake?
    Some I think could have been due to the camera moving on the mounting plate of the tripod in portrate mode - how tight can you do the screw up ?
    Any tips to stop the camera turning on the mounting plate ?

3/ Take the filter off - I know I have been told to do it before

What camera, lens, tripod, head are you using? I don't have any issues with my camera rotating on the tripod head when I'm using it. It will rotate however if I leave the camera on the tripod while I carry it around.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    Some I think could have been due to the camera moving on the mounting plate of the tripod in portrate mode - how tight can you do the screw up ?
    Sounds like your camera and lens is too heavy for your tripod head.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    1/ Take a torch

2/ Get a stable tripod/setup - lost about 1/3rd of my photos due to camera shake?
    Torch? Do those work without matches, or at least flint and steel? (just kidding, I'm American).

You need a new quick release plate, head, whatever it is. I was just using my dad's today and it did the exact same thing. I ended up wrapping my leather camera strap around the tripod so I could tighten it and prevent the camera from moving in an indirect way. Worked pretty well, but I'm getting a tripod of my own in a couple weeks.

My tripod is a 25+ year ( probably nearer 30 years now I think about it ) old cheap aluminium one from when I had a slr. It was OK with my kit lens and wide angle but as you say the weight of my new EF-S 15-85 lens is to much for it.

It will rotate however if I leave the camera on the tripod while I carry it around.
    I had a panic when I climbed over a fence as I put the tripod over my shoulder and felt the camera swing down under its own weight.

I was considering a new tripod as I would like a ball head but have been put off by the prices but I think I need to invest in one now.
    Even though the tripod I have is a lightweight aluminium one it is still heavy to carry around all day; are the carbon fibre ones worth the extra money ?
    I could also do with one that extends a little bit more as I also had the leags quite close together to get the height I wanted.

Joking about my experiance with a guy at work this morning he said about using the camera flash to light up the lock and then I had an idea - Take a photo of the lock and use it to work out which way to turn the numbers !

Carbon fiber tripods will probably not be lighter than your cheap aluminum one. However, they will be much sturdier and better at reducing vibration.

Thanks for the info kgosden and I think I will get a new tripod and while looking around the net I found this company: http://www.3leggedthing.com/

Their product looks very good and they do a try for 14 days and if you like it pay for it else send it back.

I can get a carbon fibre tripod with ball head for 269 although they are not for sale until 20th April.
    I may have to make up an adaptor as I did for my current tripod to add the ability to put the center column out side ways like the Manfrotto.

I was thinking of a ball head as the lever on my current pan and tilt gets in the way.

Interesting website and worth a look.

Current tripod weight is 2045g
    Last edited by Anthony; 04-07-2011 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Added tripod weight

Looks like a decent Gitzo copy. The center column is interesting, but it is always better not to extend it. All that really does is make for a tall monopod.

Ball heads are the way to go. Smaller for travel and generally easier to adjust unless you are panning.

3leggedthing is supposed to be a decent British brand, I was just reading about it.

Alternatively you could just get a new ballhead, you don't need to replace the tripod.

I am guessing that 'cheap aluminum' means it does not have a removeable head. Lots of entry level ones do not, particularly those pan-tilt head models with geared center columns.