Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    Rooz, I don't get your point either unless you mean the A33/A55 are limited to auto exposure at 10fps.
    I doubt you are mixing up the AF operation on the DSLR with the SLT where, with the A450/550/560/580, the higher frame rate of 7fps is fixed focus.
    Maybe you are pointing to the drawback of the EVF blacking out with the shutter. I can imagine that this will be improved by the faster response of the OLED EVF and maybe Sony have found other enhancements.
    that is exactly what i'm referring to. it is not 10fps in the traditional sense of the word. thats not necessarily a big criticism but an observation that the 10fps is acheivable but with caveats.

yes, perhaps sony have figured out how to fix it and how to avoid the almost full minute downtime after the 10fps is used.

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Look, until I have the darn thing in my hands, it will be rather difficult to speculate what is CAN DO.
    yes, it is difficult but not inconceivable. you just need to use common sense. i doubt there will be any surprises in the spec of the a77 to any rational observer...although given your constant rhetoric and criticism about sony, i dont anything they do will keep you happy.

Why muck around with little junk? There is plenty of that now. Almost everybody has a APS-C DSLR that wants one. It is a hell of an investment, once you start throwing glass at it. Typically, near $10,000 when its all said and done ... and you're still never quite content. Seems like everyone forgets that part.
    well cos thats where the market and the money is. you seem to forget that you represent a minute fraction of a percent of the market. most people arent going to do or want what you propose.

the SLT's and NEX's are way off the mark for you but they are massive hits with the market; in fact sony's ONLY hit with the market relatively speaking. sony is a mass market consumer company first and foremost, not a niche top end camera/ optical company. they found their place and they will be superb at taking advantage of that.
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Red face News flash

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    i doubt there will be any surprises in the spec of the a77 to any rational observer...although given your constant rhetoric and criticism about sony, i dont anything they do will keep you happy.

the SLT's and NEX's are way off the mark for you but they are massive hits with the market; in fact sony's ONLY hit with the market relatively speaking. sony is a mass market consumer company first and foremost, not a niche top end camera/ optical company. they found their place and they will be superb at taking advantage of that.
    I still am not buying into that people are going to whip out the heavy "plastic" to buy the heavy-duty glass for these cheap NEX cameras, alone. I would have to see the numbers regarding that issue, because there is not a single person I know of, locally, that has done that. The NEX is a glorified "lens cap" to most users. DSLR users are lens buyers, so this whole "shift in marketing" sounds more like "hot air" or some executive's "pipe-dream."

People need to stick with the "what's real" aspect of this ... but then again, after the natural disaster Japan had undergone and is still ... undergoing ... advancements may have surged to zero.

The earthquakes are creeping towards Tokyo ... and that cannot bode well. They just had a volcano pop again, on Kyushu Island. Manufacturing is going to take a significant hit, unless they quickly relocate it to someplace a little quieter.

Admittedly, a lot of the small camera and lens manufacturing has been relocated to China (much to the chagrin of the buying public) and may keep things on the shelf, the heavy hitter factories that comprised the purchased Minolta lines ... well, not so much.

"Electronics plants in the northeast were also temporarily closed, including those owned by Sony Corp. ( SNE - news - people ) and Toshiba Corp. ( TOSBF.PK - news - people )" AP - Japan quake, tsunami take dire toll on economy By YURI KAGEYAMA , 03.13.11, 05:02 PM EDT

Supply and demand may get a kick ... you can be sure prices will go up. They ALWAYS do.

Man ... it is always something, ain't it? The planet, itself, is making this hard.

Name:  earth-blows-text II.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  277.3 KB

"Frank, this is Don, here on the Moon ... sorry about hijacking the thread.
    Things have changed a little bit, I think. I just snapped this shot.
    You might want to think about a vacation ... real soon."
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-14-2011 at 07:17 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

people are buying adapters and using manual lens on most micro cameras....

might be a wait on a77 when they blow japan off the planet in their meltdown

I still am not buying into that people are going to whip out the heavy "plastic" to buy the heavy-duty glass for these cheap NEX cameras, alone. I would have to see the numbers regarding that issue, because there is not a single person I know of, locally, that has done that. The NEX is a glorified "lens cap" to most users. DSLR users are lens buyers, so this whole "shift in marketing" sounds more like "hot air" or some executive's "pipe-dream."
    Don, you are still not getting it. Sony doesn't care to sell high-end lenses for NEX cameras. That is not the goal of these cameras, and you don't get that. Sony only cares to sell a lot of the NEX cameras along with the cheap kit lenses. It's what they do and are good at.
    Besides, Sony doesn't make high-end lenses for DSLR cameras either. The really nice lenses for Alphas are Zeiss made, not Sony.

Lightbulb Zeiss certified

J-R, "Zeiss" simply offers certification for the lenses that are assembled in the SONY plant. Zeiss does not build or deliver anything to SONY. The licensing fee is paid and SONY slaps the label on the glass.

The 70-200mm f/2.8 G SSM; 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6; 70-400mm f/4-5.6 G SSM and 300mm f/2.8 G SSM are all top drawer glass, too, but I have some real issues ever seeing them with a NEX "rear camera cap" on any of them. That money is just not going to get spent like that.

Again, the higher-end glass, which SONY does sell exclusively for their alpha camera line ... is going to only find a home on their camera bodies. Unlike Nikon, who sold their mount to Fuji and Samsung ... creating some options. If they are ever going to recover that money and have future sales, they will need better bodies and people buying them, too. Not NEX toy cameras.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

If they are ever going to recover that money and have future sales, they will need better bodies and people buying them, too. Not NEX toy cameras.
    wrong. thats pretty much all that needs to be said. you are just plain wrong.
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

all new models with come with a free 100 year half live dose of radiation..

If they are ever going to recover that money and have future sales, they will need better bodies and people buying them, too. Not NEX toy cameras.
    Still don't get it, Don. I guess you are too ego-centric to see that just because *you* don't like them and *you* don't get them, doesn't mean millions of others think the NEX cameras are great for them. Sony will happily keep making them, and people will keep buying them, regardless of what you think. And you will keep complaining about it. Oh, and I'm pretty sure Sony is making money on them.
    Others have said it here before: Sony has no interest in playing at the top-end of the DSLR market. It's not their forte, anyway, so it's actually smart of them to stay a level or two below the top-end.

Red face Managing your own disaster

Why is it ego-centric to have your own best interests at heart? I mean, last time I checked, it was MY money that was getting spent ... and not a single other person has run up to me and said, "Don, Don, here ... invest this." I mean, do I look like a politician or something? This is MY part of the world and welcome to it, as far as it all goes. When someone starts stuffing cash into my pockets ... fine, but egocentric? No. I simply know what I want ... and it is not the NEX, okay? If you want to decorate your walls with this "lens cap" device, have at it. You will be hard pressed to know it even exists around here.

Again, one of the knocks on the NEX is that it is not an Alpha-mount. You need E-mount lenses, if you do not have the adapter and the last time I checked, the lenses cost even more than the Alpha-version. Plus, ask yourself: "Self ... do I want duplicate lenses for ANOTHER system made by the same company?" Good lord, how much moolah do you have? It's bad enough that I have to spend what I do for the lenses I have for ONE system.

Things change and I suppose we are simply waiting for the tide to shift ... AGAIN!

Is a little standardization too much to ask for?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-14-2011 at 08:03 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Still holding out for the
    Attached Images Attached Images