Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hope this is true

I just checked for any new information on the release date of the A77 and found this. http://camera.downloadatoz.com/news,...fficially.html

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

interesting... although that photo is old and there are alot of rumors about. i thought the odds were that the a77 will be an SLT, not an DSLR.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Thumbs up A welcome addition

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie1263 View Post
    I just checked for any new information on the release date of the A77 and found this. http://camera.downloadatoz.com/news,...fficially.html

Frank
    Well, I just smile. This is about where it had to be ... and it is there. Other than it being an APS-C sensor, it goes right along with what I had hoped. I didn't catch the maximum shutter rate ... 10 fps or just 7fps?

I think they were just waiting to have some competition from Nikon. It is always good to have someone sporting something similar so you are not the only game in town, because that is suspicious.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-12-2011 at 05:28 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

"The new DSLR war is coming!"

for sony it came and went...they keep catching up to 5 year old technology

full frame 24p is what sells

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    10 fps or just 7fps?
    you do understand how it gets 10fps on these low end cameras dont you ?
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Lightbulb With the 700-series

The 900 & 700 series are pretty intermingled. You will see similar functions out of both ... and if 10fps is possible .. it'll be at 1/160th second or higher. More than likely, it'll be 1/250th, which means you will need a ton of sun.

Yep, outdoor sports.

Do we want it? Heck yeah. I like a good "finish line" shot. I mean, if it can do it, why not?

You have a rocket ISO on the sensor ... so ... you might even be able to back off on Mr. Sun.

Look, I'm not hooked on 10 fps ... I just like the option. I'd be happy if they put a pop-up rangefinder cross-hair on the camera, to augment the EVIL, so you can see "real time" and stay zeroed-in on your subject. That would have serious value for action, in my estimation. Heck, you could even make it a heads-up display.

But, 'Rooz", I'll bite. How?
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

more that 8 fps your making movies..lol

But, 'Rooz", I'll bite. How?
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta55/page8.asp

I thought we covered this off pretty well when the a55 was released.
    flickr

Couple of things spring to mind as I read this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    interesting... although that photo is old and there are alot of rumors about. i thought the odds were that the a77 will be an SLT, not an DSLR.
    It seems that many people refer to the A77 (if that's to be it's release name) as a DSLR when it is, more correctly, SLT.
    Purists will be unhappy at the loose terminology. Even Sony use "Translucent" to describe a semi transparent mirror, go figure!
    Well, I just smile. This is about where it had to be ... and it is there. Other than it being an APS-C sensor, it goes right along with what I had hoped. I didn't catch the maximum shutter rate ... 10 fps or just 7fps?

I think they were just waiting to have some competition from Nikon. It is always good to have someone sporting something similar so you are not the only game in town, because that is suspicious.
    Don, what competition from Nikon? and you didn't catch the frame rate because they didn't throw it, or speculate.
    The 900 & 700 series are pretty intermingled. You will see similar functions out of both ... and if 10fps is possible .. it'll be at 1/160th second or higher. More than likely, it'll be 1/250th, which means you will need a ton of sun................
    I don't get your logic with this one, the fps will limited by lower shutter speeds not higher. At 1/250th, the theoretical max (given a top shutter of 1/8000th) is 242fps. Even at 1/60th sec, the theoretical max is still 59fps.
    But there are other overriding factors which set limits on the frame rate.
    One is the power of the Data Pipeline/Buffer, which is closely linked with image size. Given a 24MP Sensor and 10fps, the A77 will have to deliver twice the data throughput of the A900 which is going to call for a very large Buffer and/or some serious processing power.
    Sony just might use pixel binning to give higher frame rates, say 15fps with a lower res 6MP image. This could deliver a 4:1 improvement in signal/noise ratios and allow much higher, cleaner ISOs (2stops).
    Of course, 15fps may cause a mechanical issue with the lens Aperture control. Alpha lenses have a spring return on the Iris mechanism and at some point the spring will fail to close the aperture quickly enough and any oil on the Iris will cause drag and make things worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    you do understand how it gets 10fps on these low end cameras dont you ?
    Rooz, I don't get your point either unless you mean the A33/A55 are limited to auto exposure at 10fps.
    I doubt you are mixing up the AF operation on the DSLR with the SLT where, with the A450/550/560/580, the higher frame rate of 7fps is fixed focus.
    Maybe you are pointing to the drawback of the EVF blacking out with the shutter. I can imagine that this will be improved by the faster response of the OLED EVF and maybe Sony have found other enhancements.
    Last edited by Peekayoh; 03-13-2011 at 05:46 AM. Reason: mistake

Exclamation I'm not in Missouri, but "Show Me!"

Look, until I have the darn thing in my hands, it will be rather difficult to speculate what it CAN DO.

I'm game. Always have been.

I offered a challenge to SONY a couple years ago and if they meet it, more the better. I am "Joe Customer." If you want to impress me, just meet the request. It is really just that simple

'Rooz' ... I would love to get my "Alpha One" camera.

I mean, who wouldn't. It would be as close to the pixel density as any current medium format camera. In fact, if SONY want's to blow off Full Frame and jump right to 4x5 ... yeah, let's do it. Make Hasselblad really squirm.

Why muck around with little junk? There is plenty of that now. Almost everybody has a APS-C DSLR that wants one. It is a hell of an investment, once you start throwing glass at it. Typically, near $10,000 when its all said and done ... and you're still never quite content. Seems like everyone forgets that part.

Bottom line: You can have the BEST camera in the world, but if you only have a coke-bottle bottom for a lens ...

Name:  DSLRA850 w coke lens.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  60.7 KB

oops!

I was also considering the idea of a rotary sensor for high-speed framing, where there could be as many as five or seven sensors on a rotating wheel, that capture images in sequence with the shutter. The wheel, itself, would create a kind of gyroscopic-ally STABILIZE the camera as it operated and allow for maximum sensor cooling as it whirred around in the camera body. Dust wouldn't have a chance to settle and I figure with some advanced software that could settle the image down from the captured frame, it could be awesome, making standard movie capture obsolete with actual images of incomparable definition and quality.

Stereoscopic imaging would be even more fantastic, much like the idea behind a Viewmaster®,

Name:  686px-View-Master_Model_G.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  70.8 KB

only in reverse. Instead of only showing you dual images, it would be taking them at high-speed. Not to be insensitive, but since there may be some significant retooling in the orient in the coming months ... opportunity is at hand. We could even design, engineer and make it right here in the U.S.A., because we have a lot of folks waltzing around with their educated thumbs up their respective rear-ends, doing not much of anything, anyway. Unemployment-check-collection-time is pretty much over for most, and because they are off the roles, as it were -> that makes the unemployment numbers falsely look like they are dropping. In truth, many are just sitting at home, wondering "what's next?" So "what the hey?" How about some exploratory manufacturing? That could be the next entertainment industry. If we are going 3-D ... let's go big!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-13-2011 at 04:13 PM.

flickr® & Sdi