Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Bag for D90 & 18-105 kit lens

Hi all,

Now that I have settled on my purchase of this combo (which I can't make for another 2 weeks) I have looked into the bag I should get.

Please take note of the above, if your advice is to take my setup-into the shop with me and see what I like best/what fits.

As the bags look to be much cheaper in the US I am trying to pick the model so I can have it purchased by someone travelling there at the end of the week. So its a case of bag (and memory card, in this instance) before the camera.

I am a small, short girl and therefore don't want anything too large. So I went into some shops today at lunchtime and have 3 identified possibilities:

- Lowerpro Passport Sling: I know this will fit all my stuff into it but I am just wondering whether it's a little large for me - but on the otherside I wouldn't need to separately carry another handbag or similar for all my other junk i.e. keys, phone etc.

- Vanguard BIIN 37: this seemed quite roomy and I could probably shove my accoutrements in there too. Not sure if charger etc would also fit?

- Tamrac Velocity: this is the one I really wanted some advice on. The stores I went into only had the Velocity 7, which I am fairly sure will fit this setup. But I am wondering whether this would fit into a Velocity 6? While that size can be ordered in, there was nothing in store for me to examine.

If possible I want to fit a flash about 12 cm in length plus charger cords in there.

Comments/experiences much appreciated (esp. re: the Tamrac option).

I am also aware that as I get into this more the kit is likely to expand, so there is that trade off of snug fit vs room for expansion to consider with this purchase.

Thanks all.

2 inches down from the top of the website is a search button. You might also like to read what others have said recently about cam bags, it's a popular topic.

Note re size, the mid range flashes like SB600 are 170mm*60*70 mm
    Last edited by Dread Pirate Roberts; 03-06-2011 at 10:14 PM.
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

Whatever bag you buy will only be the first of many if you stay with photography. Photographers have as many bags as some girls have shoes.

Check out the Cambags website for comparisons and reviews.

I use Lowepro Cirrus TLZ 15 for exact same combo.
    For 1.5 years it has been serving me well.

Thanks

When I bought my D90 with 18-105, I also got a LowePro Nova 140 AW. This bag will fit camera and lens nicely. I think there is enough room on the side for an SB400 or a small prime lens, but not sure about anything larger. It's a nice compact bag, with a rain cover.

Now that I have more lenses, my mobile bag is now a Velocity 8x. It can carry my D90 with 70-300, plus SB600, and 18-105 in the side slots. I reckon the 7x should fit your D90 with 18-105, and likely strobe on the side. The 6x may be too small. The only caveat I have on the Velocity is that sometimes a reversed lens hood catches on the bottom edges of the dividers when I pull it out. But perhaps you can do a better job of adjusting the dividers than I have.
    "No matter where you go, there you are."
    -Buckaroo Banzai

Nikon D90 | Nikkor 18-105VR | AF Nikkor 50 f/1.4D | AF Micro Nikkor 105 | AF Nikkor 20 f/2.8D | AF Nikkor 70-300VR |
    Canon IXY 810IS | Canon UW Housing

My Picasa Site

Quote Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
    Whatever bag you buy will only be the first of many if you stay with photography.
    K1W1 is absolutely right. There isn't THE ONE perfect bag for you. Sooner or later (well sooner) you will get another one that does better in some parts and worse in others. Everyone has different needs - keep that in mind if someone who is really into photography and has a lot of experience (so not me :P) recommends you any bag - this might be perfect but it might not be what you need.

My advice is: get a bag that you feel comfortable about wearing and that fits all your stuff. Then go out shooting as much as you can - and find what you really need (then loop to infinity)

Quote Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
    Whatever bag you buy will only be the first of many if you stay with photography. Photographers have as many bags as some girls have shoes. ...
    True that.
    I have 2 backpacks, 2 shoulder bags, one snoot bag for short lens. Now I'm looking for another snoot bag for the up and coming 70-300+D90 combo.

You can have one that fits all the gears, except the tripod of course, but sometimes you only need the camera and a lens. That's when a snoot bag is practical.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

I think a D90, flash, and charger in the Velocity 6 will be a very tight fit, partially due to the rounded profile. The D90 itself with the kit lens + lens hood or with a 70-300 (lens hood in storage position) would be good fit. The D90 battery charger would also fit on one of the sides. The flash, however, is a problem...especially if you have a Nikon SB-600 or better. The pocket is also too small.

I use a Tamrac Express 6 to carry my D90. The Express 6 is 1/2" wider, 1/2" shorter, and 1/4" shallower than the Velocity 6. It also has a more rectangular profile, and a larger front pocket. My D90 is actually deeper than the bag, so it bulges a tiny bit. The 4Ē depth of the Velocity is fine for the D90 (the D90 is 4.1Ē tall.) Also, with a 70-300 lens attached, the D90 is as tall as the Express 6. The Velocityís taller height is the right fit for the D90 + 70-300.

A Nikon flash, however, is a large piece of equipment. Also, if youíre carrying a charger for the D90 battery then youíll probably want to carry a charger for the AA NiMH batteries in your flash. Thatís not going to fit in a Velocity. I can barely get the flash to fit in my Express 6, which is 1/2" wider. Also, the smaller side pocket of the Velocity means that anything large, like a filter case, will bulge into the camera compartment and the camera wonít slide in and out of the bag so easily.

If I were to buy a bag for my D90 again, I would probably go with an Express 7. Itís the right size for the camera, and it has room for chargers and a flash.

I like my Tamrac Express bag. Itís well constructed and well padded. I live in New York City where Iím always going through tight areas (small doorways, subway turnstiles, etc.) and I never worry about the knocking the bag into a door jam. Thereís a zippered compartment on the outside of the flap which is great for the lens cap. I got mine from Amazon.

Hereís the Express 7...
    http://tamrac.com/3537.htm

I have the Express 6...
    http://tamrac.com/3536.htm

I carry my Nikon 70-300 in a Tamrac lens case that I can slip around my belt. Itís a heavy lens, and having it in the bag with the D90 + kit lens and flash is too much to carry around all day.

To position the internal dividers (velcro'ed in place) I first wrap the dividers with paper, position, and then carefully pull out the paper and press the divider in place. Otherwise, it's practically impossible to position the divider before getting stuck on some velcro.

Quote Originally Posted by Graystar View Post
    A Nikon flash, however, is a large piece of equipment. Also, if youíre carrying a charger for the D90 battery then youíll probably want to carry a charger for the AA NiMH batteries in your flash. Thatís not going to fit in a Velocity. I can barely get the flash to fit in my Express 6, which is 1/2" wider. Also, the smaller side pocket of the Velocity means that anything large, like a filter case, will bulge into the camera compartment and the camera wonít slide in and out of the bag so easily.
    Agree with the points in this and the other parts of your post. The OP should keep in mind that the Velocity series or other bags in its size class are probably not intended as 'everything' bags. Rather than carry a charger, even on weekend trips, I typically carry a spare battery for my D90 (and sometimes for strobe) in the front pocket.

I'll also suggest the Velocity 8, as it can hold a strobe in addition to a moderately long lens in the side pocket. I like its rounded shape - it's less of an obstruction in cramped quarters. However, I can see why some folks aren't comfortable with this type of bag due to the way it hangs.

Another caveat on the velocity series is that you need to close the zipper completely - you can't rely upon the side buckles to keep things from falling out if the bag isn't hoisted correctly. I found this out on Sunday, when my wife picked up the bag haphazardly and both the D90 and unattached 70-300 fell out. Fortunately, it seems only the lens protector on the 70-300 was damaged.
    "No matter where you go, there you are."
    -Buckaroo Banzai

Nikon D90 | Nikkor 18-105VR | AF Nikkor 50 f/1.4D | AF Micro Nikkor 105 | AF Nikkor 20 f/2.8D | AF Nikkor 70-300VR |
    Canon IXY 810IS | Canon UW Housing

My Picasa Site

I like the smaller bag listed in my siggy. Carries the camera with lens, another lens, and a flash/3rd lens if I need it. Usually I keep my two lenses in it and the camera with a lens. I don't tend to shoot with flash much. I'm sure I will when I refigure out, for the upteenth time, how to use my flashes as slaves to my camera. I keep forgetting, lol. But yeah, I'm already looking into bag #3.
    CJ

Nikon D90, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S, DX Zoom-Nikkor, 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor, 55-200mm f/4-5.6G AF-S DX VR, Induro AT-214 w/DM-12 ballhead, SB-800, SB-600 + diffuser, Light stand and umbrella, Hoya Polarizing Filter 52mm, Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW, and Lowepro Nova 170 AW for daily carry around

My FlickR account