Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Nikon Withdrawal Symptoms

About a month back, my wife picked up my camera bag (Tamrac Velocity 8x) at a restaurant, while I took the toddler to the potty after paying. I had snapped the clips shut, but didn't zip the main compartment closed. She didn't grab the top end of the strap, and the weight of my D90 and my 70-300 VR (unattached) were enough to cause them both to slip out the top and onto the tiled floor. Fortunately, I was not there when it happened.

She showed me the damage after in the lobby, and you can imagine I was beside myself. The D90 and the attached 20mm f/2.8D didn't seem to have any damage at first glance. The 70-300VR lens cap was jammed askew into the attached filter. It took a couple of minutes to get it off, and I found the lens protector (NC filter) cracked, but no external damage to the lens. (Yeah, I know most of you think lens protectors are pointless, but in this case it certainly did its job).

After some test shots in the lobby, and more later at home, it seemed I was very fortunate, as everything seemed to be working fine. My only concern was the 70-300 seemed a bit noisier than before - probably not the case. I picked up a new lens protector, and mostly forgot about it.

However, a few days after, I noticed I didn't have the little plastic insert in the D90 hotshoe. When I found it, and tried to insert it, I noticed that the metal hotshoe fitting was bent. After 10 minutes of careful prying/bending with screwdriver & needle-nosed pliers, I was able to get the plastic insert in. Unfortunately, neither my SB600 or SB400 would mount. So, this meant an eventual trip to the Nikon repair shop.

Well, the earthquake happened, and I put those plans on hold, while trying to get our lives back in order. My university put its term on a 2 week hiatus, and three days ago, I finally took it to the Shinjuku service center while I had some extra time. In Tokyo, Nikon users are lucky. We have 2 Nikon service centers - one in Ginza (central Tokyo) and another in Shinjuku (west central Tokyo). A friend of mine had very positive comments about the service at both of them (but not so for the Canon service center), and my experience was the same. The Shinjuku service center is inside a Nikon show room on the 23rd floor of a sky scraper, and when you step out of the elevator you are greeted with a fantastic view of Tokyo. The service clerks were professional, friendly, and some could speak English. I also asked to have an overhaul, in addition to the hotshoe repair, and they quoted a maximum figure (~27,000). They also suggested COD courier service, because I live ~1 hour away by train. No extra charge. The only bad part was that it might take until 08 April.

So, it's been three days and I'm going insane without my D90. The cherry blossoms are starting to pop out here, and my Canon point and shoot is looking more like a child's toy than a viable alternative. The sound of its lens extending on power up is akin to nails on a chalkboard.

I've even found myself lingering in camera stores and online vendor sites, very tempted to pick up a 'replacement'. I've had to talk myself out of used D300s's & D700's, and even a new D7000 (there's a 10,000 cash back rebate until April 1!) because of my N.A.S. Mostly, it's my wife (and her expected reaction) that's holding me back. Aaagh!

So, what say you, fellow Nikon addicts. How have you gotten through similar crises?
    "No matter where you go, there you are."
    -Buckaroo Banzai

Nikon D90 | Nikkor 18-105VR | AF Nikkor 50 f/1.4D | AF Micro Nikkor 105 | AF Nikkor 20 f/2.8D | AF Nikkor 70-300VR |
    Canon IXY 810IS | Canon UW Housing

My Picasa Site

Quote Originally Posted by umijin View Post
    So, it's been three days and I'm going insane without my D90.

It took 5 1/2 weeks to repair my 16-85! You are on a winner in terms of repair times.

Quote Originally Posted by umijin View Post
    So, what say you, fellow Nikon addicts. How have you gotten through similar crises?
    I'd probably go buy another lens or two.
    Gotta be careful with them bag. Should zip up tight at all time.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

Quote Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
    It took 5 1/2 weeks to repair my 16-85! You are on a winner in terms of repair times.
    5.5 weeks! Wow! I'm glad I didn't give them a lens.
    -Buckaroo Banzai

Nikon D90 | Nikkor 18-105VR | AF Nikkor 50 f/1.4D | AF Micro Nikkor 105 | AF Nikkor 20 f/2.8D | AF Nikkor 70-300VR |

My Picasa Site

My 90 acts funny on occasion but I can't spare the time needed to send it in for repair. Being a photography student means I kinda need to have it available and this last break was only a week long. Though I could use the Canon 50D we have at work as a replacement while I get mine checked. I just can't bring myself to do it. And yes, I've thought of getting a D700 "back up" camera while I send my 90 in for repair, lol.
    CJ

Nikon D90, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S, DX Zoom-Nikkor, 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor, 55-200mm f/4-5.6G AF-S DX VR, Induro AT-214 w/DM-12 ballhead, SB-800, SB-600 + diffuser, Light stand and umbrella, Hoya Polarizing Filter 52mm, Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW, and Lowepro Nova 170 AW for daily carry around

My FlickR account

Quote Originally Posted by Camerajunkie View Post
    And yes, I've thought of getting a D700 "back up" camera while I send my 90 in for repair, lol.
    Heheh - made me laugh. I was *this* close to buying a D7000 - Nikon had a 10,000 instant rebate program that ended Sunday, and the dealer I shop most at had a 20% points back offer.

Fortunately, my camera came back a couple days early. They did a great job - cleaned it as well. Repair cost was 18,000 (including overhaul). Have to get my wife to translate the Japanese so I can see what cost the most.
    -Buckaroo Banzai

My Picasa Site

My friend's camera bag containing a D70 with accessories got stolen on his trip to Vietnam. So he bought the D7000.

...Somehow, while he's still sad about his loss, he's also smiling at the same time. Hmm.

Hooray for getting your camera back!
    Current camera: Canon PowerShot SX30 IS

My photos used to go here! but now I post them on Facebook. :P

Oh yeah...*ahem* Disclaimer: Any opinions I share are from the perspective of a lazy, couch-potato point and shooter. So take it with a grain of salt.