Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Well, my birthday is in a few more days ... and I am wishing for a few more birthdays.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I will settle for a camera. We have no control over how many more birthdays we are going to get.

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie1263 View Post
    I am in this position now. I am ready to upgrade to a new camera and don't know if I should wait for the A77 or just get the A580. I made the same mistake when I bough my A100 they released the A700. Like Sonynut says there are people who will buy the newer model anyway. I have a week to make up my mind.

Frank
    how is that different from any other consumer good ? no company does it. that is in fact completely the OPPOSITE of what they want to do which is to get people to be repeat customers, to buy and buy and buy again. consume....thats what these companies are built on. that's why they love people like don...he fits right into their best laid plans.

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Still, it would be nice if they built PocketWizard or RF-controlled flash capability IN the darn camera, with ratio control, if possible. I mean, it appears to be just another refusal to give the consumers what they really need and ask for. How much could the implementation that convenient standard really cost? They even built the PocketWizard cards slots into the Bowens flash heads. I mean, if a cheaper flash company is doing it ...? Admittedly, I would not upgrade just to get that feature, but I would like to see the feature in the upgrade.
    and where exactly would they squeeze that in ? the smallest receiver i've ever seen is the cybersync or the new PW. hardly something you could squeeze into a camera very easily. they are trying to make bodies smaller and lighter and you want to make them bigger and heavier.

Don, you really make no sense when you're ranting.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    how is that different from any other consumer good ? no company does it. that is in fact completely the OPPOSITE of what they want to do which is to get people to be repeat customers, to buy and buy and buy again. consume....thats what these companies are built on. that's why they love people like don...he fits right into their best laid plans.

I don't keep chasing technology I just like to get the best I can afford at the time I want it. I try to do as much research as I can before I buy something so I have no regrets later. I am happy with my A100 but I just don't want to buy a new camera if a better one is coming out soon. If I had all the specs on the A77 then I could make up my mind now.
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Slingshot 200 Bag

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie1263 View Post
    If I had all the specs on the A77 then I could make up my mind now.
    That's not in the company's best interest. They don't want to cannibalize current sales for future sales. In an ideal world, you'd buy what you want now and then be tempted by the new items down the road. Every tech company does this, and there's a good reason why; it works.

Red face It is the same old drill ...

Drawing Microsoft into the fray ... I don't know what's worse ... changing an old, but finally reliable OS for a half-baked, rushed-to-market new one ... to generate a quick-fix revenue stream? I know it is up to the customer, but I had to buy completely new equipment (scanner and video card) to deal with this latest upgrade (Windows 7), again. More money down the drain ... retiring perfectly good equipment ... just because the silly OS will not talk to it. They patched it up to that abomination of Vista 64 ... then they stopped! So, now I have 5 video cards and 3 scanners! Heck, I still have the box the second scanner came in! I gave up on the HP ScanJet. I figure if they will not support their own build ... why should I? EPSON it is!

Again, when I look at Canon's upgrades ... did you really get a "better" jump going from the EOS 20D to the 40D? With SONY, going from the a100 to the a700 was MAJOR! That was refinement ... all a person could practically want in a APS-C camera ... and Minolta knew it when the designs were sold. Ergonomically just about all you could want, just a shade small, but not too bad.

Then comes the α33/α55 ... so small it is hard to handle. (Eek, shades of the Canon Rebel XT - perhaps made for a "different" market?)

Tech companies are competitive, sure ... but, they are competing with complete disregard for the health of the buying public and the environment. That seems like a criminal enterprise to me ... nothing short of monopolistic goals: collectively and purposely creating more waste (hence, my references to the "still working" and "relatively new" equipment ... killed off and heading for the junk heap, where CD_ROM readers, sound cards and other items sit collecting dust and mold. Consider all the SCSI equipment and all the technology attached to that. Yeah, that stuff was pricey ... and, now, effectively history) in this advancing GREEN environment. Landfills filled with still working technology that simply could not be ... software interfaced. You might say, "electronically retired."

Then we get to photography ... consider film. Yeah, "electronically retired." Say no more, say no more.

Do not get me wrong, Frank, going with the SLT-α77 seems to have the built-in promise of success, considering it simply has to have all the bells and whistles of the top of the line. With the way the higher end cameras (7xx & 9xx) are so few and far between ... it has to have "legs." If SONY has listened to the boards and the research, this could be their best camera, yet, as a combination of advanced features that the α700 has and the SLT's rapid fire and 3D capabilities. Obviously, the trade-off is the EVF (yep, "electronically retired") ... but, if you can live with it ... and most probably can adapt ... there you go.

Heck ... anyone ready to move into "serious player" photography could not do much better than this. It should have the entire package in it. It is up to you - the photographer - to make use of it.

Again, we shall see what we shall see. Picture that!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-28-2011 at 06:01 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Frank,
    As has been said, you're never going to have all the information in advance but you can make some good guesses as to specs and price of the A77.

Price:
    A good bit more than the A580, you can expect it to be in the $999-$1299 range. Some think more, $1499, I don't but take your pick

Res:
    Clearly there will be a new Exmor sensor for the A77 and more MPs than the 16.2MP of the A580, anything from 18 to 24MP; my guess, 24MP.

Frame Rate:
    Who's going to guess at this one? 10-15fps maybe.

AF system:
    This is bound to be a big improvement on the A700 and a lot better than the A580. We have seen (A900 firmware upgrade) that Sony have been working to catch up in this area (software algorithms) and in hardware, the A77 will probably have more than the 15 point array of the A580 and have some double cross and f/2.8 sensors. I don't know how many but I'm expecting a good step forward in performance with the A77.

ViewFinder:
    Electronic of course and possibly an OLED design which could be a big improvement over previous EVFs.

Gadgets:
    Whole bunch of stuff like video, panorama, smile detect, GPS ... who knows, or cares.

It looks like Sony may be releasing the 500mm lens at the same time as the A77 implying that the two go together. Certainly the A77, with it's EVF is able to take advantage of the DMF lens button control that, when pressed, presents a 15x magnified view. That will be a serious combination for well heeled wildlife and sports photographers. Maybe Sony think they can now compete in that market but the camera would have to be pretty good. BTW, is that a rubber seal around the mount? Still can't make up my mind.

Anyway Frank, if the A77 falls within your budget, I'd wait around for it, could be a good move and at least you wouldn't have regrets over buying into the A580. Which only leaves the question of when which is more difficult but third quarter at worst and sooner with luck.

I may have to wait.

Thanks again
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Slingshot 200 Bag

you're like a cat on a hot tin roof don. jumping around from topicd to topic, issue to issue all scatterbrain like making no sense. no point continuing this thread.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Angry Busting on the big guys

"Rooz", if this stimulates some conversation on the boards, with cross discussion, ... well, it is working for me. Again, the internal workings of the SONY company are as dreadful as ever, maybe worse.

I simply hate the customer service, I abhor the broken information pipeline and I really miss having a "product expert" available to answer the tough questions.

I can not count (well, I probably could) the number of times I had asked, on the defunct SONY chat board, about significant features and was simply ignored ... or answered by someone who either was told complete nonsense or just told to be nice and say nothing. The one time I did get someone to bite, concerning the teaching mode in the new +30-series ... they got bit and we never heard from them, again. That is kind of UGLY in my book.

For the past two years, SONY really clamped down on the people they sent to the Photo EXPO shows. The Sgt Schultz approach ("I know nothing!") was in full effect and as such, it appears that wasting the coin by going to the show has only made things worse. I mean, why bother? No "inside scoop?" Practically everything you will find out has already been released, in the news, a few days earlier.

My biggest knock ... and I am still standing by it, is that 3D has no real tangible footing for introduction. There just is nothing that compelling to draw a 7/24 interest level from most of the buying public. I mean even HD television had to be practically forced on the consumer by a governmental fiat to get it implemented, by effectively killing off all 30-year legacy analog televisions. I believe that the 3D move to be just as much and worse.

One of the myths (<- click and read these before you go 3D-nutz) about 3D is that because it was introduced later ... it will have 1080p resolution. >BUZZ< Not so, Idaho! There is only one company that is even close (shhh, it's Panasonic) ... and it is NOT SONY. You go with 3D ... you are back to the lower definition television.

So, before you go and pitch your practically new 1080p HD television, consider what you are ... uh, lo$ing.

BTW: My CAPSTONE Research Paper, this quarter, is about the "3D Push" and whether it really has a home ... in your home. I am reaching out and researching this. It STILL does not look promising. Too many different standards out there and no particular one being complied with ... no one is in serious agreement ... other than they want to sell new products and do not seem to care to whom. I truly believe they are hoping the mass confusion in WHAT TO BUY to make it work will generate monstrous profits, regardless.

Judging by the 16 to 30-yr-old 'buying public' and the recent run with the "new" camera sales ... why the hell not? Not too much thinking going on out there. Their parents should have taught them better. If anything, the paid professionals at "Consumer Reports" need to be out front on this, warning the public to "remain calm" and exert public and governmental pressure to literally "force" the manufacturers to an agreed upon 3D standard. Anything else is playing right into the SONY way of doing things (make it all proprietary) ... and no matter how much time goes by ... I cannot forget the BetaMax debacle. (<- Please read this for a much clearer understanding of what may be happening all over again, on an even more massive scale. Talk about history running in REWIND).

All this does have a sad price to be paid, if an agreed upon STANDARD cannot be hammered out BEFORE people start buying. I mean as sure as I am sitting here, putting this out ... a whole lot of someone(s) are going to be buying defunct and unsupported junk. Time will decide who or you can leave it to fate and throw the dice!

"Welcome to the 3D Crap Shoot!"

Name:  dice.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  32.5 KB

~$2000-3000 a toss, this time around
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-28-2011 at 07:17 PM.

flickr & Sdi