Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Lightbulb Exploring the novelty of SONY

One of the major challenges with the SONY Alpha System has been the lack of information about up and coming products. The biggest knock has been, just like nuclear weapons, that SONY will neither confirm or deny where they are going with their camera line. It is complete supposition by the buying public.

I have to say, for me, as well as many others ... this has cost them dearly in NEW business sales as well as keeping the bridge up between older, more dedicated users.

I can say I am not an aficionado of this particular business plan. Personally, I believe it has more negatives about it than many, if any, positives. If anything, it is silly to think that Canon or Nikon would be that much more benefited by knowing Sony's battle plan, as they simply cannot keep up. But, they sure can mop up the floor with all the people who have jumped ship because of this sad and poor informational support.

With the 3D market now on the horizon, again we are faced with new ideas and some serious product choices, but no real support. For a fledgling market ... I am left wondering if SONY is planning to, once again, leave its customers adrift and pondering what kind of future they can plan on?

If anyone is reading this .... drop a line.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-27-2011 at 11:59 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

How is that any different from any other major camera manufacturer ?
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

They all do it. Nobody but insiders know. That's why there's a ton of "rumors" sites around.

Thumbs down Bad business

Look, just because this is the way they DO business does not mean it is the correct way to do business. If anything, it is a shameful example of just how NOT to do business ... and it needs to stop.

Plain and not so simple, I guess.

I am getting very tired of this game. It has cost me a lot more money than it should have. That leaves me bitter and quite unamused. The higher my recognition gets, the more exposure to this game I am getting ... and the more exposure of the game I am giving. All I am asking for is a marketing move I can rely on ... and not have to backtrack every six months. It is a fair request and I grow very tired of being disappointed.

Mark it down: Customer Dissatisfaction
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-26-2011 at 07:19 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

they learned from nintendo, apple....let out a little tech at a time...most people are so dumb they will buy it again next week to get that extra button

Angry Treadmarks

No, not trademarks ... treadmarks ... like the shoe prints people who defend this kind of behavior wear as the manufacturers walk all over you ... and you happily lick the soles of the shoes they do it with.

I sit and just shake my head, wondering how people look at themselves in the mirror and say, man, I am so proud of my attitude. Grow a pair, for goodness sake. Only by a unified front, are we ever going snap the manufacturers back into something we all can enjoy, instead of this rather useless nonsense we are get stuck with. Otherwise, I suppose you can just wear their logo proudly on your forehead ...

Name:  Canon Rebel hat.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  217.5 KB

as "the marked" and happily controlled. A "rebel" ... without a cause.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-26-2011 at 10:54 PM.

flickr & Sdi

I dont have the faintest idea what you are ranting about.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

I am in this position now. I am ready to upgrade to a new camera and don't know if I should wait for the A77 or just get the A580. I made the same mistake when I bough my A100 they released the A700. Like Sonynut says there are people who will buy the newer model anyway. I have a week to make up my mind.

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Red face Four years later ...

Frank, after four years ... why, now? Where's the pressure?

The α77 addresses many issues ... and it a much higher level camera body allowing aspects to photography that the α580 does not have in it.

I am going to assume the SLT-α77 will have a pc-sync port for external flash, which is something you still would have to add to the α580 or any 200, 300, 400 or 500-series camera. I believe it is located to the lower right of the lens, in the picture below.

Name:  A77.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  249.1 KB

I know having that little convenience is important for studio work and wherever you might need a trigger. There are other aspects that make the 500-series more like a P&S upgrade, than a semi-pro level device. The SLT-α77 MUST have a "series" of other things that sets it apart from the SLT-α55, otherwise ... I mean, who would buy it and spend the extra coin? I would suspect it may have 1080p HD resolution and at least 24fps to support a decent movie standard. Also, a better focusing system ... over the other two.

Still, it would be nice if they built PocketWizard or RF-controlled flash capability IN the darn camera, with ratio control, if possible. I mean, it appears to be just another refusal to give the consumers what they really need and ask for. How much could the implementation that convenient standard really cost? They even built the PocketWizard cards slots into the Bowens flash heads. I mean, if a cheaper flash company is doing it ...? Admittedly, I would not upgrade just to get that feature, but I would like to see the feature in the upgrade.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-27-2011 at 11:53 AM.

flickr & Sdi

When is the release date? I haven't see it yet. You know with Sony it could be way down the road. Need to make up my mind soon. My birthday is coming and a new camera is at the top of my list.

Thanks
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8