Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Interesting piece on whether being a photographer ruins your hols!!

I must admit I have given this some thought before. Admittedly the guy "against" is talking shite. The satisfaction for me is capturing a photo the way I want and doing so to a certain standard. I also think I immerse myself more in the place by looking at it with a view to capture it. However in the cold light of day I wonder if I would enjoy it more if I wasnt carrying 10kg of camera on my back! Always filled with photo anxiety and judging a good day on how many decent photos I got! Tough one...your thoughts??

http://inside-digital.blog.lonelypla...or-or-against/
    Nikon D700
    Sigma 70-200 F2.8
    Sigma 85mm F1.4
    Sigma 15-30 F3.5 - 4.5

http://www.philipduartephotography.com

"It's better to be hurt by the truth than comforted by a lie"

I started to notice things I didn't notice before since taking up photography.
    Let's admit it, roving eyes of a photographer sees things in a way that non-photographer doesn't.
    However, everything has its time and place, to me at least. When going on vacation with the family I leave all DSLR gears behind and bring a camcorder instead, I did make a few stills from the camcorder and nowadays they are quite good even for large prints.
    I don't think I'd haul a 10 kg bag of gears trying to capture a few shots of the world most ancient monument, simply just for memory sake. A D80+16-85VR will be all I need, should I need to travel light. However, if I make money from the shots I will haul any weight I need.
    There are people who say I won't be enjoying myself because I hide behind the camera, like the case 'against' in herc182's link above. But they forget there is a hole through the viewfinder and they don't even realise I use the zoom lens as binocular seeing things for a good half hour before they start to it; and normally it's me who lead to the things they would have missed.
    I laugh out loud when I read the 'against' comment about inferior photos, it only shows he suckx big time.

PS:
    As an answer to "Interesting piece on whether being a photographer ruins your hols!!"? I'd say NO. I even enjoy holidays more if I have a camera or a camcorder with me.
    Last edited by tim11; 02-21-2011 at 02:22 PM.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

You cannot take a great picture if you do not understand what you are taking a picture of. Before you take a picture, you need to observe your subject closely. Look at the smallest details. Look for unusual angles, to get shots that pictures that stand out. You need to watch the light to make sure you get the best possible contrast and colours. I think that if you want to take a great picture, you have to look at a scene a lot more thoroughly than the average tourist does.

Taking great travel pictures takes patience. Sometimes you need to take the time to wait for the sun to break through the crowds. Other times you need to wait for the inspiration to come up with a compostition that few have thought of before. Waiting is not a bad thing though, it gives you more time to grasp the beauty of a certain scene and sometimes watching changes in light can be fascinating.

Also, photography can force you to make a good planning to make sure the subjects you want to take pictures of are not backlit. This is not a bad thing either, for even if you are not a photographer scenes often look a lot better and are a lot more comfortable to watch with the sun behind you.

To make a long story short, I do not believe photography can ruin a vacation in any way. If anything, it enriches the holiday.

As for the gear, I no longer take all my gear with me. I used to take 6 lenses with me on a trip (but no tripod). These days I only take my 17-70, 35 f/1.8 for low light and the 135 if I need a bit more reach (the last two are very light). Instead of all the other items (10-20, 70-300, 105, 35, flash) I now take a small, light, but fairly steady tripod for taking shots at night. It saves me a lot of weight and a burning pain between my shoulders after 5 full days of shooting
    Nikon D-50
    // Nikkor 70-300 f/4-5.6 VR // Nikkor 50 mm f/1.8
    // Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 ...// Nikon SB-600
    // Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6......// Nikon Series E 135 mm f/2.8
    // Kiron 105 f/2.8 Macro....// Manfrotto 190XPROB + 488RC4
    // Nikkor 35 f/1.8..........// Sigma 500 mm f/8

My website: http://www.dennisdolkens.nl

Playing devils advocate here. Reading prosperos post would tire the non photographer. They go on holiday to relax. Not to go through the thought processes of a pilot on a pre flight check. But I DO that. And realise that I never therefore relax. Unless you can spend time somewhere (like my 9month stint in Budapest) you struggle to sit Back and observe the city. That's my opinion anyway. Went to Rome for a long weekend and for fear of missing something I took photos of everything (admittedly I was new on the scene with my D80). Got back and looked through the photos and Thought I missed the city vibe in a sense.

Other end of the spectrum now. My friend went to south Africa for works cup. Has never been and will never go again. His memory will be in the form of pictures taken out of a moving car with a blackberry phone. I was agog. I couldn't believe it.
    The amount of times I have sat in front of my computer and seen the photos I have taken which not just capture the scene but the MOOD (this is all my opinion!!) has paid for itself. I have revisited the places many times with my photos.

Basically I think the holy Grail is to go somewhere new, don't feel like you are missing a shot, relax and record. I think I lack confidence to achieve the former and will for a while continue to carry large bags and snap away!!
    Nikon D700
    Sigma 70-200 F2.8
    Sigma 85mm F1.4
    Sigma 15-30 F3.5 - 4.5

Quote Originally Posted by herc182 View Post
    The amount of times I have sat in front of my computer and seen the photos I have taken which not just capture the scene but the MOOD (this is all my opinion!!) has paid for itself. I have revisited the places many times with my photos.

But you don't need to let the camera rule your life to do that which is the point of the opposing argument.
    When I go on holiday I'm on holiday and yes I have a camera and yes I take a few photos but photos that allow me to remember the holiday not some artistic impression of an oddly angled brick with the sunrise reflecting off it. I can't think of anything worse than ignoring my family or friends on a holiday simply to get "the shot".

it doesn't need to be one or the other imo. id suggest you can have both. when we go down the coast i'm with my family enjoying the trip for 90% of the time without a big camera handy. but then there is a window of time when i want to go for a walk on my own with my big camera and a bag full of lens' or whatever and not think about anything else apart from taking some photos. its all about balance.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
    But you don't need to let the camera rule your life to do that which is the point of the opposing argument.
    When I go on holiday I'm on holiday and yes I have a camera and yes I take a few photos but photos that allow me to remember the holiday not some artistic impression of an oddly angled brick with the sunrise reflecting off it. I can't think of anything worse than ignoring my family or friends on a holiday simply to get "the shot".
    Thankfully I am not that extreme. If I go somewhere I havent been before its strictly shots of landmarks or city life in my own style (whatever that might be). I certainly dont get up at 5am to get a sunrise (though I did think about it in Rome!) and travel to some perilous rocks by the sea to do a 30min exposure of lapping waves.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    it doesn't need to be one or the other imo. id suggest you can have both. when we go down the coast i'm with my family enjoying the trip for 90% of the time without a big camera handy. but then there is a window of time when i want to go for a walk on my own with my big camera and a bag full of lens' or whatever and not think about anything else apart from taking some photos. its all about balance.
    I think thats where I want to be. I take a lot of pictures of my GF (no kids yet!) and that will shift the focus quite a lot I think.

If I had to put myself in one camp, i would say for me that taking my camera on holiday is a must. First thing I pack. And currently I maybe focus too much on that than the holiday itself. Working towards a better balance!
    Nikon D700
    Sigma 70-200 F2.8
    Sigma 85mm F1.4
    Sigma 15-30 F3.5 - 4.5

And when you go on an el cheapo Virgin the QLD with carry on luggage only is it camera or diapers?

Never get budget flights but Camera with extra lens cloths
    Nikon D700
    Sigma 70-200 F2.8
    Sigma 85mm F1.4
    Sigma 15-30 F3.5 - 4.5

Quote Originally Posted by herc182 View Post
    Playing devils advocate here. Reading prosperos post would tire the non photographer. They go on holiday to relax. Not to go through the thought processes of a pilot on a pre flight check. But I DO that. And realise that I never therefore relax. Unless you can spend time somewhere (like my 9month stint in Budapest) you struggle to sit Back and observe the city. That's my opinion anyway. Went to Rome for a long weekend and for fear of missing something I took photos of everything (admittedly I was new on the scene with my D80). Got back and looked through the photos and Thought I missed the city vibe in a sense.
    Fair enough, I never go on holiday to relax either . I have to add that many of the things I said above only apply when I am somewhere on my own or with a group of photographers. Needless to say, when I'm on holiday with friends I take things a lot more easy. In that case, it is indeed all about balance, like Rooz said.

As for the fear of missing some shots, I think this is definetly doesn't help. Personally, I find that I get a lot better shots if I just take my time and don't worry about missing something. But, again, taking your time is not always possible if your on holiday with friends/family, since you can't keep them waiting all the time.

Thankfully I am not that extreme. If I go somewhere I havent been before its strictly shots of landmarks or city life in my own style (whatever that might be). I certainly dont get up at 5am to get a sunrise (though I did think about it in Rome!) and travel to some perilous rocks by the sea to do a 30min exposure of lapping waves.
    When I'm somewhere I've never been before I generally stick to the landmarks. Since I don't really have my own style anyway, I leave the city life for what it is.

Getting up at 5am to get sunrise photos is a bit too extreme for me too. I generally just go for the sunsets. The only sunrise pictures I have taken were shot when I was still awake .
    I suppose if I would let photography wake me up at 5 am every day it would ruin my holiday .
    Nikon D-50
    // Nikkor 70-300 f/4-5.6 VR // Nikkor 50 mm f/1.8
    // Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 ...// Nikon SB-600
    // Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6......// Nikon Series E 135 mm f/2.8
    // Kiron 105 f/2.8 Macro....// Manfrotto 190XPROB + 488RC4
    // Nikkor 35 f/1.8..........// Sigma 500 mm f/8

My website: http://www.dennisdolkens.nl