Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

DCRP no longer allowed at Stanford University

Please see this news item for the details. Your comments are appreciated.
    Jeff Keller
    Founder/Editor, Digital Camera Resource Page

ridiculous. what are you supposed to do for your skyline shot ? approach every apartment owner asking for thier persmission ?

this is what alot of us have been goign on about for quite some time and the longer time goes on the more and more of an issue this is becoming. there was a protest in sydney about this exact topic a few months ago but the attendance was abysmal.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    ridiculous. what are you supposed to do for your skyline shot ? approach every apartment owner asking for thier permission?

Well, since that photo is taken from public property, I don't need their permission, but I see your point. I'm going to try escalating things up a level at Stanford to see if they budge.
    Jeff Keller

So basically her view was....."Like what you're doing....but do it somewhere else"

A sign of the times.
    Canon 5D MKlll & Canon 50D
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro | Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 | Canon 430EX Flash | Lowepro Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro Toploader 65 AW | Lowepro Slingshot 200AW | Kata 3n1-10

Panasonic Lumix FZ200
    Panasonic Lumix TZ7 (aka ZS3)
    Panasonic Lumix FT3 (aka TS3)

Ali Baba.....the Thief of Bad Gags

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    ridiculous. what are you supposed to do for your skyline shot ? approach every apartment owner asking for thier persmission ?
    Agree with Rooz on his first comment but I think the second is rather exaggerated.

As Jeff pointed out Stanford is a private organisation and the can control access to their land as they see fit so from that point of view even though their decision doesn't make much sense to me they are free to make it. I haven't really thought through a plan of action but I guess it's either roll over and go somewhere else or fight in some form and that probably depends more on Jeffs decision than any of ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Keller View Post
    I'm going to try escalating things up a level at Stanford to see if they budge.
    Maybe offer them some advertising space on the site in exchange for use of the location for photographs.

Being a university, they should have access to intelligent people who can assure them that you will not suck so much light onto your camera that the whole establishment will fall into a black hole.

I believe you are actually helping them. You are giving worldwide publicity to their organisation, and highlighting some attractive aspects of it, all for free. If they do not want that, they are nuts.

Wow seems a bit heavy handed and "jobs worth" to me. Guess all you can do is politely escalate this as you say at Stanford. You need to get to someone in power with a bit of common sense who's willing to stand up and be counted...hmm best of luck you will need to be pretty persuasive and persistant plus probably quite humble.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

I wonder if you were a student at that university...would they let you take photos ?
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Jeff Keller