Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Talking Megapixels - 8"x10" and 4"x6" prints

Right now I own an Olympus Stylus SW 8010 and get average quality 4x6 prints and very grainy 8x10 prints. I am looking to buy a Pentax Kx SLR (which is 12.5mp) and I was wondering if I will get better looking prints? I print out every image as a 4x6 and select a few good ones to get blown up into 5x7 or 8x10 so I would like to have very clear images.

Also, I've heard that anything over an 8mp results in clear 5x7 and 8x10 images but grainy 4x6's...is that true?

8MP is plenty for printing at 8x10, 5x7, or 4x6. The quality of the images, and how you process them can have a greater impact on the final quality of the print.

If you can print a clear 8x10 with an image there's no reason you couldn't print an equally good or better 4x6. Whatever you've heard is wrong. It probably has to do with someone not knowing how to set up a printer image.

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    8MP is plenty for printing at 8x10, 5x7, or 4x6. The quality of the images, and how you process them can have a greater impact on the final quality of the print.

If you can print a clear 8x10 with an image there's no reason you couldn't print an equally good or better 4x6. Whatever you've heard is wrong. It probably has to do with someone not knowing how to set up a printer image.
    Thank you so much! I had read a lot of contradicting statements, but I figured they must be doing something wrong because I had never seen an image be distorted when the print size was smaller, but clear when it was larger. I wonder why my Olympus isn't printing as clear as possible. It's 10MP but the images that I print as 8x10 look very grainy and "pixel-y." Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by peaceoutaly View Post
    It's 10MP but the images that I print as 8x10 look very grainy and "pixel-y." Any ideas?
    Can you post the original image and provide us with a link to it? Either you have JPG compression turned up too high, shot in a smaller image size, over processed the image, or shot with very high ISO and you're seeing noise.