Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fixing my older sigma 400mm prime lens

I talked earlyer last week about my older sigma lens i bought off ebay and got burned on . Well everone told me it would be hard to take apart a lens and put it back together well today i dove in and did about three time and could not figure out what was wrong till i got a magnifying glass out and found this .Go here to see the gears.http://www.flickr.com/photos/hobosnob/5423409859/
    The one on the right is the one that i need to replace. so now i'm going on the search up and down to find a new gear so my purchase was not such a waste. The auto focus gear was fine but the one it matched up to is the one on the right and one on the left is the one that matches up to the main gear that goes all the way around the lens which was fine to.

If you know of anywhere to get parts or have any ideas i'm game i think tomorrow i'm hitting the thrift stores and pawn shops to see if i can find a use lens that i think might have the same gears its worth a try.

try sigma........

they are no help at all from what i have been thru with them . I just need to find someone where i can buy gears or old lenes.

Man, this sounds all too familiar, doesn't it?
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I take it some one else did the same ? Did they get it to work right?

Any friends in Engineering? or how about a local College? They might take it up as a practical exercise.

Lightbulb Let me tell ya ...

Quote Originally Posted by ericst11 View Post
    I take it some one else did the same ? Did they get it to work right?
    Again, the only person on the forum that dove in to a problem very like this was Frank.

My experience with getting a lens fixed is limited to taking the unit over to the local repair depot, which is only a few miles from my home. United Camera and Binocular Repair routinely provides the necessary support for most lenses. Yes, you pay for labor and whatnot, but they have usually given me terrific service.

The only real issue I have had was when I returned a Minolta lens (24-105mm 3.5-4.5), that I had just purchased from the used department of B&H Video (with a evaluation grade of 9+), for repair and, of course, SONY refuse to fix it because back in 2005-2006 they did not buy the parts support for these legacy lenses when they bought the Minolta Camera Division from Konica-Minolta. My practical guess is that they did not want the hassle of having to re-catalog all that repair stuff. There is not too much profit in it, to be honest, and knowing SONY, it is easier to say "We're sorry" than it is to do the work to make it ... well, customer oriented.

You want SONY support ... you BUY it!

Anyway ... legacy glass ... forget about it.

The lesson learned: Buy new or it's forget you.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-07-2011 at 07:15 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I don't need someone to repair it i need the part .

http://www.hpcgears.com/
    This is a UK gear company and I know that they have a company in America although not with the same name. You could contact the UK company and see if they will tell you the suppliers in America and see if they have a product that small.

The problem is you need to know some technical details but I would assume it would have metric dimensions.

How about a model/hobby shop ?
    Last edited by Anthony; 02-07-2011 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Forgot the link!

Red face I guess...

what I am saying is CALL United Camera and Binocular and see if you can have some one lead you to the all-powerful "parts bin in the sky" for it.

Although, I will not be surprised if you get redirected to searching online all over again.

flickr & Sdi