Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

woundering about some birding lenes.

I Have been looking for a nice birding lens for some time now in the 400mm to 500mm range , I would like to stay in the 500 dollar range. So that means i will have to buy used if i want a good lens. I have been burned with buying a older sigma 400mm prime lens with the AF gear stripping out .But that does not mean i won't buy sigma i just will be doing more research and asking others what they think. I was looking at a Sigma 135-400mm f/4.5-5.6 AF Mt APO Lens has anyone used one of these or could anyone send me in the right direction.
    Thank you
    Eric

Lightbulb My suggestion ...

For the money you want to spend, I have already mentioned the Tokina ATX-840 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 (30 oz). This lens is light, capable, reliable and relatively cheap. The one below is a rare Model II, which comes with the tripod clamp.

Here's the LINK (<- click here) Don't say you did not have the opportunity to strike on this one. Your "golden moment" has arrived.

It even comes with the lens hood. I wound up having to find one for my lens.

Thus endeth the lesson

@ sparkie1263
    : Hey, Frank, you might want to check this one out, too. It was the last type Tokina offered for the Minolta A-mount. Excellent nature lens. Now it shows up, after I went and bought the SONY 70-400mm f/4-5.6 G SSM (54 oz) brute.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-05-2011 at 08:48 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

Looks great!!

Thanks
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

That's quite a find, Don. Hens teeth are probably more abundant.
    Still, it wouldn't be me if I didn't sound a word of caution.
    Most will buy this lens for the long end and at 400mm it is soft and I believe suffers from aberration.
    If you can live with that, fine and the price is in budget. I don't think I'd part with over $400 though.
    Do you get away with Import duty in the US?

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Minolta (Or Sony) - AF Reflex 500mm F8, small, light, sharp and long but slow.
    Of course I doubt you'll get one for $500 but it would be well worth saving up for.

If you're prepared to Manual Focus the thing you could try a Samyang 500mm f/8 Mirror or an Kalimar 500mm for not much cash.

Does anyone know why Tokina stopped making Alpha mount lenses? Looking at what they make now (Canon and Nikon mount APS-C optimized lenses with only one FF model) my guess would be that they made a choice to specialize their offerings.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Thumbs down Angry response ... apparently lasting for years

Quote Originally Posted by DWessel View Post
    Does anyone know why Tokina stopped making Alpha mount lenses? Looking at what they make now (Canon and Nikon mount APS-C optimized lenses with only one FF model) my guess would be that they made a choice to specialize their offerings.
    I talked with Tokina Corporate Sales, back early 2007, and addressed the SONY-mount issue when I wanted the digital version of the ATX-840 (Model III), before I got my Model I. Tokina was only making the 5-contact lenses, so I am assuming they only had limited interest in Minolta's "film" line of cameras ... and not even the newer ADI (8-contact) ones (Maxxum 7 and Maxxum 9).

I went hunting for the new Model III and found out that when Minolta closed its doors, whatever interest Tokina had with the any type of Minolta-A-mount version of their lens kind of went with right along with the closure. SONY, in its infinite wisdom, allowed a lot of corporate ties to vanish and apparently did nothing to court Tokina's lens line with their Alpha line.

• Only Nikon and Canon mounts were available in the newer Model III.
    • Only the Model I & II were available in the A-mount ... and very few of these were produced and available in the A-Mount.

It is only since last year that Tokina began to make just one lens in the A-mount for we SONY users, again, and that is the AT-X 116 PRO DX 11-16 f/2.8 Ultra Wide Angle. It is a very unique offering, having f/2.8 at such a wide focal length, so it looks like a pretty good niche market approach. SONY's own 16-35mm f/2.8 Zeiss ($1899) lens is really f/3.3, but who's looking, right?

A caveat to this particular lens release is: According to the Dyxum lens database, this "new" Tokina lens STILL does not have operating "D-type" (ADI) contacts and is, from my perspective, an AF lens with the "original" A-mount on it.

Tokina is, only now (albeit very slowly), allowing any commitment to A-mount and have what I would term, a "guarded interest", based on SONY's Alpha-camera sales worldwide. Over the years, I have heard, through various vendors, that a 20% marketshare will have to be achieved before Tokina would open the A-mount floodgates, again.

Chances are, SONY is not going to be licensing the 8-contact (ADI) technology and, as we know, SONY, of all companies, has demonstrated they are not the most "sharing" of their own technologies. They love to create proprietary items and that has never been good for the photography buying public. If they ever kill a product or technology-type ... it is a one-off and it is DEAD!

This is one man's somewhat informed opinion (I contest that it is shared by many others) and "the way I see it." If you get a different take on this entire affair when you are contacting Tokina, I would appreciate you posting it here and letting us all know about it. Whatever was going on between Tokina and Minolta ... it is probably more of the same with SONY, only there is even less communication.

Arguably, with Tokina manufacturing only two FULL FRAME lenses (the 100mm f/2.8 MACRO and the AT-X 840 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6) for ANY camera mount, my personal interest is what I would call ... "marginal." But, for the rest of the APS-C sensor crowd, you guys should push for ADI-capable A-mount in Tokina's "DX" lenses as hard as possible, as variety is often key to photographic production.

BTW: Here is the 2007 DCRP thread concerning the Tokina lens issue

Problem is, Darin ... it is the same old question ... four years later! For THK ... that's a lot of lost revenue, but then again, if SONY would quit its continuous vacillating ... life might be better for everyone.

vac·il·late (vs-lt)
    intr.v. vac·il·lat·ed, vac·il·lat·ing, vac·il·lates
    1. To sway from one side to the other; oscillate.
    2. To swing indecisively from one course of action or opinion to another.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-06-2011 at 08:21 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

Don my dad loves his 100mm macro Tokina but he shoots with canon. Don i was woundering I have read the reviews on the lenses i am looking at and this is what i have came up with and can you tell me if i'm wrong but if i go with a 500mm zoom i will get a crisp400mm shot more then likely but if i go with a 400mm zoom i will get maybe a 350 or 300mm crisp shot because fully exstended they tend to wash out on the 400mm or the 500mm.

Here's the lenses
    tamron 200-500mm link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

tokina80 to 400mm http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Sigma 170-500mm f/5-6.3 APO for Minolta Maxxum will this work on sonys dosen't say.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Tamron 200-400mm Minolta Maxxum & Sony Alpha Zoom Lens
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

what do you think .

All those lenses are compatible with your camera.
    Zoom lenses are a compromise and generally not excellent throughout their range.

Go here to the Dyxum database of lenses.
    Find out what owners of those lenses have to say and look at the sample pictures.
    It may be of some help.

I like my sony 70-300g ....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    then again, if SONY would quit its continuous vacillating ... life might be better for everyone.

vac·il·late (vs-lt)
    intr.v. vac·il·lat·ed, vac·il·lat·ing, vac·il·lates
    1. To sway from one side to the other; oscillate.
    2. To swing indecisively from one course of action or opinion to another.
    lol better for everyone bar sony you mean. if sony followed your strategic direction they would still be laguishing a mile behind everyone and continue to be a laughing stock of the industry.

sony's NEX and smaller EVIL cameras, which you thought were a joke and a bad decision, has been the single most important decision sony imaging has made since its inception and has single handedley turned sony into a viable interchangable lens company.

sony is arguabley doing the best job out of anyone in the market today.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr