Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: program help

program help

I use the program that comes with my sony slr and its fine in raw but when i resize the picture to jpg it gets real grainy .Can someone help do i just need to get a better program ?

It would help if you post a picture so we can see what you mean by "grainy".
    Also post settings and EXIF.

Here's my Fickr area you can take a look at my photos and see what i mean i have noticed that when i use the sony program that comes with the slr's . the Raw files are nice and crisp and the sized ones are not sharp .
    I'm new to this so can you put it in laymens terms.

my flickr
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/hobosnob/

I see some compression artifacts and some digital noise but not in all of them.
    Small JPEGs are never going to look as good as the full sized RAW and those images on Flickr are pretty small, 10MP down to one quarter MP.
    Resizing and sharpening to small JPEGs seems to be an artform all in itself.
    Are you using IDC?

No i'm using PMB that came with my Sony SLR.

Are you saving as best quality?

How do you do that i have never seen a option on that program as best quality? I Sorry if i sound brain dead but this is all new to me with in the last 1 1/2 off and on and i seem to be getting drawn in and would like to make my images as good as the raw form ,If not close.

Sony describe Picture Motion Browser as "an easy-to-use PC package that sorts all your pictures and videos for easy browsing" so it's no editor but I would expect it to support choices of compression for JPEGs.
    Less JPEG compression = better image (bigger file).

You mention RAW so I presume you use IDC. Surely this program will export direct to JPEG.

Is your problem just with Flickr and do they resize your files after upload?

No i'm resizing before i put them on Flicker they look the same on flickr or not. I have been saving in highest quality the program offeres i noticed that later last night when you guys mentioned that .