Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Smile Alpha 33, 55 or 580??

I've had an A200 for the last 3 years and have enjoyed most things about it. Although one thing I hate is the grain at high ISO.. with mine I find anything over ISO400 gives noticeable grain.. which is a real shame.

So I was wondering if anyone can tell me if the newer A33, 55 or 580 have the same issue? I'm thinking about upgrading and these are the 3 models currently on my radar.

I have also been thinking of ditching the Sony and converting to a Canon or Nikon.. I hear they don't have this problem. This is a last resort I guess.
    -------------
    Sony Alpha 200
    Minolta AF 50mm f1.7
    Tokina AF 28-70mm f2.6-2.8
    Sony DT 18-70mm f3.5-5.6
    Minolta AF 70-210mm f4

noise is the nature of high iso..

Quote Originally Posted by SONYNUT View Post
    noise is the nature of high iso..
    Understandable.. but there's an acceptable level of noise, I find my A200 when compared with other brands produces more noise.. which is why I'm hoping Sony would have fixed the problem with the newer models
    -------------
    Sony Alpha 200
    Minolta AF 50mm f1.7
    Sony DT 18-70mm f3.5-5.6
    Minolta AF 70-210mm f4

don't have much of a problem with a900 or a55

Thumbs up Alpha 580

The α580 is the newest dslr.

It has a completely new sensor rated at the highest ISO SONY has ever released. If I already did not have two other dslrs, it would the one I would choose, based on your α200 experiences.

If you have noise issues after using this new camera, going to Nikon or Canon will not improve on it, because you are probably shooting too dark. Shooting "to the right" (meaning, with the meter indication of +1) can usually reduce noise significantly on your sensor. Light starvation, more often than not, is the culprit.

Along with your new camera, pick up a TAMRON SP AF 60mm f/2 Di LD MACRO lens, which will offer very good light and a robust portrait and MACRO capability to your shooting.

If you cannot get it done with the α580 ... then you are done with SONY.

BTW: Do yourself a favor and toss that 18-70 lens as far away from you as you can IMO, that one lens will do more against you in your photography than it ever will for you. Probably ranks among some of the worst corporate calls SONY has made. It certainly did not make any friends on this website and true waste of $100.

Thanks to AMW (Alpha Mount World), another fine SONY support avenue, here is an excellent camera review of the α580
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-03-2011 at 08:38 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

To some extent it's a "cake and eat it thing".
    Your A200 has a CCD Sensor which are known for sharp imaging but not so good at high ISO.
    As you rightly say, over ISO400 the noise starts to intrude.
    The latest Sony CCD camera is the A390 and unfortunately it may well be the last.
    CMOS Sensors are better for High ISO but at the expense of IQ.

Other factors which affect the high ISO capability are the AA and colour filters.
    IMO, the strengths chosen by Sony result in better IQ but at the expense of high ISO performance.
    Those choices handicap Sony in the (ludicrous) race for ever higher ISOs.

As to choice of Camera, you don't really give us much to go on as the A33/55 and A580 are quite different in terms of capability.
    If your overriding concern is performance at higher ISO then the A580 wins.

Thanks for the replies.. I'm gonna have a look at the 580 as you've said, see if I can convince the sales guy to let me play around with it.

@Don - I've been meaning to upgrade from the 18-70, I was thinking more in the line of CZ 16-80 or the Sony 16-105.. both around the same price. I still like having the wide angle option and it makes a good walk around lens.
    -------------
    Sony Alpha 200
    Minolta AF 50mm f1.7
    Sony DT 18-70mm f3.5-5.6
    Minolta AF 70-210mm f4

Lightbulb 16-??? What to do?

The SONY CZ 16-80mm 3.5-4.5 is a much better lens than the 16-105mm. There is quite a bit of comparison out there, but the long and short of it is ... Zeiss glass. Give yourself a leg up with better glass.

Good luck, however you decide.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Yes, if you can afford it, the CZ is optically the better of the two.
    At 16mm, you may be disappointed with the amount of distortion, vignetting and CA's but it gets better as you zoom in.
    Still this is a 5x zoom and there's no free lunch as they say.