Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    How do like the tamron is a alright lens? i was looking at a 200 to 400mm zoom . By the way thanks for the info on the AF pin . I'm pretty handy and was woundering if that was really that hard to take apart a lens can't have that many parts or can it.

Exclamation Industry beghind it

The thing about lens repair is that it usually requires very fine tools, an understanding of the mechanism and INSTRUCTIONS for dis-assembly or assembly.

This may be a simple repair, but I would hesitate assuming that opening a lens with some tools is the great idea.

Get the instructions, first, look them over ... TWICE, no THREE TIMES ... before inserting the tip of any screwdriver.

Words of warning ... it gets deep fast.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Don thanks but i 'm not going to go that route now . I'm just see if ebay is going to go on my side about this the discripton says Sony A330 and the lens should not strip out after 15 or 20 shotsand 10days for 280 dollars. The guy should also state that it should only be used on the older minolta 's if its a known fact that these tend to strip out the AF if used on sonys. We'll have to see. All i can do is hope to see if they go my way in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    The thing about lens repair is that it usually requires very fine tools, an understanding of the mechanism and INSTRUCTIONS for dis-assembly or assembly.

This may be a simple repair, but I would hesitate assuming that opening a lens with some tools is the great idea.

Get the instructions, first, look them over ... TWICE, no THREE TIMES ... before inserting the tip of any screwdriver.

Words of warning ... it gets deep fast.

WHAT ARE YOU, CHICKEN????
    Attached Images Attached Images  

No i'm not chicken just if i bought something that i just spent 280 dollars on i might as well see if i can get my money back so i can get a lens that the gears don't strip out on like the 400mm sigma primes do.

Gears usually get damaged when a lens is out and iT gets hit forcing it in....such as it sits in most camera bags lens down........the lens creeps to the bottom...then when you sit the bag down it gets shoved up....once just a little to hard and its broke................always store your camera sideways

I only had it for 10 days and it never went in my bag it sat flat on my desk resting on the tripod mount. this is what the seller said. It looks like you may have forced the aperture too much to the left/right and the gears broke, because the gears cannot be damaged by itself. There is no difference between 5 pins or 8 pins. The 5 pins minolta is electrical and doesn't effect the mechanical. Each pin does a different job, but none of them effect the mechanical gears. And that is why there is no difference between sony and minolta effecting the autofocus. now is your that hard on your cameras you must not care or they are crap.

Quote Originally Posted by ericst11 View Post
    No i'm not chicken just if i bought something that i just spent 280 dollars on i might as well see if i can get my money back so i can get a lens that the gears don't strip out on like the 400mm sigma primes do.
    thats was for don

Eric
    The problem I think is that the metal drive pin turns on a plastic gear on the inside of the lens. I looked into this and it was common on the Quantary lens. When I took the metal plate off the mounting part of the lens there was plastic pieces that came out. It doesn't have anything to do with the electrical contact pins. If you look at the mount of the lens you will see the drive pin. It is spring mounted so when yo mount the lens it goes in.

Good luck
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

I have noticed that pin that the camera body has one to that interlock with each other thats how the auto focus works i under stand that but this guy i bought it from says i Hemaned the manual focus and thats why i lost the auto focus in my lens he sold me he's just tring to get out of paying because he knows these lenes are prone to this kind of stripping or he know that it was about to go anyhow . Even the camera store near me gives you 30 days on used equipment. .