Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I was woundering about the 400mm primes some more?

I posted a couple days ago about my older Sigma 400mm 5.6 AF prime lens i was having trouble with. But i really like the lens I know there are a couple differant models out there.
    400mmAF5.6 prime
    400mmAF5.6prime APO
    400mmAF5.6prime APO HSM macro
    These are all SIGMA lenes that they came out with it seems the first one on the list has a real problem with Sony Alpha's and the AF tends to strip out .
    I have been looking at a used Sigma 400mm AF 5.6 APO At the local camera store for about 200 with a 30 warranty i was woundering if these have the same problems as the first 400mm sigma prime lenes.

can you can still use it in manual???

Talking Har-dee-har-har

Quote Originally Posted by SONYNUT View Post
    can you can still use it in manual???
    Steve ... anticipating lightning striking twice, are we? Very funny.

Well, the experience and wisdom states that the SONY 70-400mm f4/5.6 G SSM is almost guaranteed perfecto mundo results. Except for the price, it is the "be all, end all" in the range. Typically, you probably will not need another lens.

I do look forward to the release of the SIGMA 120-300mm f/2.8 EX DG OS APO HSM though. Weighing in at 5 pounds, it will be the "indoor go to" in that range. SONY and Minolta have never had anything like it, so it will be a class leader.

No, it may not be 400mm ... but, what it can shoot will be awesome ... and a full two-stops brighter.

Obviously, both lenses are a far cry from the SIGMA 200-500mm f/2.8 APO EX DG (33 lbs) which will require a mule and a Sherpa to tote around. You would also need a box of gold to pay for that bad boy, but unfortunately it does not come in the α-mount, so there is that.

Lord, let there be light!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-31-2011 at 05:10 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Don, the Guy is looking at a $200 lens and you are talking about the Sony 70-400mm.
    I don't know if your camera has a choice of drive speeds, look in the Custom Menu. If it does you might be OK, but you're already down a couple as it is.
    The Sigmas were built down to a price and plastic gears were one compromise too far. In the UK, Sigma have no parts for the 400 F5.6 APO telemacro (the latest), don't know where you are.
    Cheap 400mm primes are pretty thin on the ground so I don't really know how to help you.

Red face Practicality

Peter, I know what lenses cost (believe me, it is painful). Been there, done that. Got me a T-shirt and it says, "The future ain't what it used to be" - Yogi Berra

The only lens that is priced close to a few hundred or so and can hold up to the SONY focus motor's acceleration is the ...

Tokina AT-X 840 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 (Model I)

"]

@ 30 oz ... lightest in the class.

If he could find one of those bad boys in the α-mount, then you would be golden. Obviously, it is a zoom, a film lens and not coated for digital shooting, but ... c'mon ... it is low-priced glass and will get you there. It does not internally focus (IF) so you will have a true 400mm-shot at 10-feet as you will at 29-feet.

The one person who might part with his is Sean. But, that would be quite a question. That would be my best suggestion for keeping the lid on the budget. It may be a difficult find. They are kind of rare.

The SONY 70-400mm f/4-5.6 G SSM (54 oz) is when you are ready for prime-time imaging. It took me a while to get there, personally, but I bit the bullet and here we are.

Another possible alternative would be the TAMRON SP AF 200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD ... which carries a higher price, but offers a nice working image. It only weighs 43 ounces, so you won't herniate yourself lugging it around.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-31-2011 at 07:08 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

How is the Tamaron 200-400mm .I really thank you guys you have made me say no to buying another sigma 400. i might see if sigma repair shop will repair it but i'm not holding my breath if they do i'll only use it in manual .That is even starting to stick in the sweat spots .That sucks.

Question Yo, Frank!

I cannot remember, but Frank may have had the AF gears removed from his Quantaray 70-300mm f/4-5.6 to get it operating smoothly in MF. That may be a cheap "fix".

BTW: Here is a link to the Dyxum lens database concerning the TAMRON AF 200-400mm f/5.6 lens. It rates 4.39 out of 5, which, in my estimation, is pretty good, actually. I have never seen that lens, so I cannot say how well it works.

Hope it works for you.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-31-2011 at 07:32 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Thanks don i looked at the dyxum site and was woundering about that to. About the fix did he do it him self or send it off?

Thanks everyone for all your help the last couple of days. If you can send me in any direction for a lens let me know.

I had the same problem with my Quantary 70-300 Lens as Don mentioned. I never got it fixed but I did remove the drive pin on the back of the lens and now I can use it as a MF lens if I need too. I just removed the screws on the lens mount and the drive pin came right out. I replaced it with the Tamron 70-300.

Hope this helps
    Frank
    Last edited by sparkie1263; 02-01-2011 at 02:58 AM.
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM