Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Olympus XZ-1 Compact

I read in reviews that the Olympus XZ-1 can zoom whist taking video. Does anyone know whether it will also autofocus whilst zooming during video recording and is the zooming noise noticeable during playback ?

DPReview will answer your question

Couldn't wait for a sale and tired of my briefcase camera, Panasonic DMC-FX01 from 2006, I broke down and paid full price for the XZ-1 today. Yeah, I read about and investigated the noise reduction issues. I am hoping Olympus will have a nice FW update soon to make us all happy. One of the pluses for me was I have a lot of Olympus accessories that are compatible. My FL36R flash will work both on and off camera. And it turned out that the batteries and charger from our waterproof 1030SW's are identical.

I am not a video person at all. But I did a quick test to answer the original questions here. Yes, you can zoom in video mode and the noise is not noticeable. The camera will autofocus when using the zoom in movie mode, but it is not really fast enough for action in low light.

Baby's First Photo

Overcast day. Found some color in front of the local Home Depot. Nice ability to control DOF at F1.8.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Show me the bokeh

Just a quick overhead grab shot, but I thought folks here would like the bokeh.

I think you are going to have fun with that XZ-1 even though you paid full price for it I'd say from the shots you posted so far it's going to prove worth it.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

I purchased it as my back up, and quick 'bring along' to fit nicely in my wife's purse. It's not tiny by any means but much slimmer than an ILC (EVIL) and obviously a DSLR.

I was intrigued by the Zuiko F1.8 lens....I'll post some photos eventually. It performs quite well for a point and shoot in low light settings.

I checked with 3 different suppliers in the city and compared with LX5 from Panny, Canon S95, and Nikon P300. Although all these cameras are above average or 'as good as a point and shoot' can get for the moment, the XZ-1 was recommended as the leader among the others in terms of low light performance. I'm also a big fan of the 'art filter' as per my E-PL2.

The top 3 'pros' stated at DPreview about this camera are:

Fastest (brightest) zoom lens of any current compact
    Really useful 28-112mm lens range
    Lens impressively sharp with generally good corner sharpness at wide apertures

Kgosden, those are some really nice pics.
    You took a photo of what?

Fotomatix,

Glad you are enjoying yours. I think this is my ninth Olympus digital since my D220L back in the late 1990's. I had some of the original Olympus 'enthusiast' cameras, a C3030-Z and C5050-Z, both of which had great lenses and performance for their day. The menus are nearly all new on this which is taking some learning. I like the OLED display, but wish there was an option for 'large icons' when you actually enter the 'OK' button based settings. Who cares of they cover more of the displayed image as long as it is only larger while trying to do something like change the ISO.

It does bring back a feature that is not well implemented on the E5x0 series, the custom settings. I never figured out how to make it easy to use on my E series. On this camera it is right on the dial. I really like that it can bracket up to +/-1.7EV. And it takes them quick enough for hand held HDR. In fact that is my current custom setup.

I have not tried the remote flash with my FL36R yet, but that was a reason to buy this over the other cameras in this class. I did buy and add the stick-on grip that Richard Franiec has created. It arrived today and so far it seems a great addition. Too bad it covers the shiny 1.8 logo.

This is my first Olympus with the Art Filters. I did not think I would find them useful, but they seem like a fun addition particularly since you can still capture a unmolested RAW image at the same time. I thought I would upload a series of them here for the uninitiated. In order: straight, Pop Art, Soft Focus, Grainy Film, Pin Hole, Diorama and Dramatic Tone

They really are pretty good kg. Certainly adds interest. I think my favourite is the pin hole shot - I didn't think it would be but it is. Looks like Oly's got a nice little camera there.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them