Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need help with "end-of-file" message...

Ok so here is the timeline-

-I shot a wedding ceremony.

-Imported .nefs from ceremony to Ibook G4 through card reader from 16GB card. (About 7GBs)

-Formatted card and shot the reception.

-Imported .nefs from reception to Ibook G4. (About 5gbs)

-Took the original ceremony .nefs and copied them from G4 BACK to my SD card into a separate created folder.

-Came home and used ViewNX 2 to import reception .nefs and then used a card reader to pull off the ceremony pics as none of my camera softwares would read the ceremony pics as "being there".

-The reception pics open fine and imported fine but now I can't open any ceremony pics except the first 5 in the folder. All other get a "Could not complete your request because an unexpected end-of-file was encountered."

-I get this message in Lightroom 3.3 and Photoshop CS5!

So I thought I could fix it so I tried a data recovery program and it just recovered the corrupt files.

Then I thought I could delete the good .nefs out of the DCIM folder on the SD card and put the corrupt .NEFs in and import through ViewNX 2. Well it worked and ViewNX 2 can read them just fine. But when I try to take them out of the ViewNX folder and import to lightroom or CS5, they are still corrupt.

Equipment-
    Macbook
    Nikon D7000
    Lightroom 3.3
    Photoshop CS5
    ViewNX 2

So any solutions... or do you need anymore information? I tried to be thorough, haha

-E
    |Nikon D7000 | Nikon D40 | Nikkor 18-105mm F/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 18-5mm F/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 55-200 F4-5.6G | SB-800 AF Speedlight | MB-D11 Grip | ML-L3 Remote

You say you imported the Nef files after the ceremony to a IBook G4. In that case, unless the files were corrupted when importing the first time or you overwrote or deleted them, the files should still be on the IBook in the original, uncorrupted state.

I don't know how you can get corrupted files back to work (except by using data recovery software, but you already did that). If the files do open in ViewNX2, just use that program to get the white balance, shadow protection and exposure compensation right. After that, export them as 16bit Tiff files and then you can edit them in any program you like without a loss of data in the RAW file.
    Nikon D-50
    // Nikkor 70-300 f/4-5.6 VR // Nikkor 50 mm f/1.8
    // Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 ...// Nikon SB-600
    // Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6......// Nikon Series E 135 mm f/2.8
    // Kiron 105 f/2.8 Macro....// Manfrotto 190XPROB + 488RC4
    // Nikkor 35 f/1.8..........// Sigma 500 mm f/8

My website: http://www.dennisdolkens.nl

The IBook G4 isn't mine, belonged to the girl I was shooting with and is now in Orlando! So I will try converting to tiff and see what that does. It is just so weird that it did this!

So converting to tiff I wont lose anything?
    |Nikon D7000 | Nikon D40 | Nikkor 18-105mm F/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 18-5mm F/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 55-200 F4-5.6G | SB-800 AF Speedlight | MB-D11 Grip | ML-L3 Remote

Is your lightroom/CS5 camera raw plugin updated so that it recognizes D7000 .nef files?

Yeah, updated to 6.3. I have edited a lot of photos already, including the reception ones from that night.

Quote Originally Posted by gsusmaniac View Post
    The IBook G4 isn't mine, belonged to the girl I was shooting with and is now in Orlando! So I will try converting to tiff and see what that does. It is just so weird that it did this!

So converting to tiff I wont lose anything?
    A rawfile contains 12-14 bits of image data and while a Tiff file can contain 16 bits. You therefore shouldn't lose any data when converting to the tiff file.

However, I think it's best to make sure the whitebalance and exposure are correct by adjusting those in ViewNX before converting to TIFF to get the best results.
    Nikon D-50
    // Nikkor 70-300 f/4-5.6 VR // Nikkor 50 mm f/1.8
    // Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 ...// Nikon SB-600
    // Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6......// Nikon Series E 135 mm f/2.8
    // Kiron 105 f/2.8 Macro....// Manfrotto 190XPROB + 488RC4
    // Nikkor 35 f/1.8..........// Sigma 500 mm f/8

My website: http://www.dennisdolkens.nl

Well after opening ViewNX and trying to edit them I cannot. It too reads them as an unsupported file even though they are .nefs!

Are the files to large to post one and see if anyone else can open it ?

I belive somebody else had the same problem a couple of years ago and the files were corrupted - I could recover the first 1/3rd or so of the image and the rest of the image was blank.

Thats alot of transfering.... youre just opening yourself up for some sort of error.
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

Is your computer Windows or Mac?
    Windows PC's often have issues with importing files from media (cards and USB sticks) where that media was written on a Mac especially an old mac which a G4 is. OIder Macs seem to do some strange formatting on media they write to.

Your first problem was not having enough SD cards to shoot without requiring moving files. That's unforgivable imo and hopefully a lesson learned.

I would be contacting the Mac owner and making sure that she can see the files on her computer and that she does not delete them. I would then ask her to burn the files to a CD or DVD and then confirming that the CD/DVD can be read on a computer similar to yours. You need to ensure that the originals are not lost.

The next step I would take is find somebody with a Mac if you don't have one and see if they can read the files off the card.