Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

SU-800, Should I?

Experimented with Cactus V4 as the 'cheap' solution in off camera flash. Last week one of the two receivers developed the oft reported problem of false triggering. If I have the audacity to move the stand during the shoot, begins uncontrollable rapid firing - and dead flash battery during the shoot. Not to mention 'concern' of the person's home who I am shooting as they know something is wrong. Yesterday, got fed-up and mid shoot switched back to Nikon CLS, D90 master with pop-up to trigger the two SB600s. It was like a breath of fresh air - even when positioning outside line of sight and relying on interior reflection for signal. 95% of my shots are inside. Only problem, the pop-up can't be turned off so set at -3 and had firing reflections in artwork, windows, etc. Easy enough to cleanup in Photoshop.

Easy solution is get another V4 for $25 and take my chances, as they are essentially throwaways. When I initially bought them, they were the cheap (minimal investment) to test the wireless waters and subconciously if mechanical performancs issues - replace with quality. Problem is, when I look at quality - Cybersyncs, Skyport, RadioPopper, and Pocket Wizard - they are expensive and providing the same manual wireless triggering as the V4s (although some models add "studio" on-camera adjustment). When just for a little more there is the TTL capable RadioPopper PX and the and the perpetually coming, now shipping but never in stock PW minitt1/flextt5. That may be an advantage as it keeps me from running out to the store.

Now enter the SU-800 - am I missing something here? Since I don't use on-camera flash, and SB-700 or SB-900 on-camera for master triggering with flash turned off would be a waste. Radiopopper PX requires one of those or the pop-up flash to generate the signal to translate. Pocket Wizard does not for "basic" operations, but does for "advanced" opertation - and is cheaper than the RadioPopper. Downside of the basic, other than the lack of advanced features like adjustments within zones etc, is battery drain and it would almost make sense to skip the minitt1 with it's button battery and get the extra flextt5 as a transmitter with AAA batteries. Phottix Stratos TTL is on-camera only as it passes through the signal to the flash mounted above it and remotes remain manual.

Should I go with the SU-800? The other advantage of the SU-800 (like the Cactus V4) is that I can also use my old Vivitars as fill/hairlight with optical triggers that otherwise would fire with a pre-flash. For the rare outdoors, I have one working V4. Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by tizeye; 01-22-2011 at 05:02 AM.
    Digital: Nikon D40; Nikon D90; Nikon D7000 Nikkor 18-55; Nikkor 55-200VR; Sigma 10-20; Tamron 17-50; SB-600; SB-900; Pocket Wizards
    Film: Canon AE-1; T70; FD 28mm 2.8; FD 50mm 1.8; FD 135mm 3.5
    Wish List: Unlimited! Let's not go there.

Buy a Pocket Wizard and use it instead of your pop up flash to trigger the off-camera flashes.
    CJ

Nikon D90, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S, DX Zoom-Nikkor, 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor, 55-200mm f/4-5.6G AF-S DX VR, Induro AT-214 w/DM-12 ballhead, SB-800, SB-600 + diffuser, Light stand and umbrella, Hoya Polarizing Filter 52mm, Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW, and Lowepro Nova 170 AW for daily carry around

My FlickR account

Dude, that's cheaper than a pocket wizard, lol.
    CJ

Nikon D90, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S, DX Zoom-Nikkor, 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor, 55-200mm f/4-5.6G AF-S DX VR, Induro AT-214 w/DM-12 ballhead, SB-800, SB-600 + diffuser, Light stand and umbrella, Hoya Polarizing Filter 52mm, Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW, and Lowepro Nova 170 AW for daily carry around

My FlickR account

Phottix do now have the Atlas wireless triggers but I think there is a problem with selling them in the USA. I'm sure that could be overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
    Phottix do now have the Atlas wireless triggers but I think there is a problem with selling them in the USA. I'm sure that could be overcome.
    What I understand it is frequency difference that is regulated limiting universal worldwide sells for all triggers. The haven't apparently adaped the US frequency.
    Digital: Nikon D40; Nikon D90; Nikon D7000 Nikkor 18-55; Nikkor 55-200VR; Sigma 10-20; Tamron 17-50; SB-600; SB-900; Pocket Wizards

Why not just get the Radiopopper JrX Studio set and be done with it? I use it with 2 receivers on my SB-800s and it works without problems. I just checked their site and they are in stock for $160.
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by jcon View Post
    Why not just get the Radiopopper JrX Studio set and be done with it? I use it with 2 receivers on my SB-800s and it works without problems. I just checked their site and they are in stock for $160.
    In all probability, that is what I am going to do - and particurally like the studio option, controlling flash from camera. It is $160+99 for the extra receiver, plus jury rigged velco attachment and the RP cube thanks to the receiver design not having a hot shoe and the SB-600 doesn't have PC terminal. In the end, you have a reliable $320 manual system - but manual none the less. The much cheaper "E-bay" triggers have much better integrated design and can even double as stands - just not willing to experiment with other cheap brands. Certainly nothing wrong with manual, and arguable, at time more preferable. Just have to give up on the iTTL systems that are hitting the market with PW's application perhaps better (and cheaper) than RP's PX application. PW appears to handle the signal internally where RP captures the pre-flash transmission externally then translates it.