Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Looking for a quality "Bridge Camera," perhaps Panasonic fz40 or Canon SX30IS???

posted in wrong section, sorry!

Greetings: I'm beginning photographer, but have a graphic design background so my eye for images is picky! I'm looking for an easy to use camera that can take pretty high resolution images that crisp, clear with good color. My use is photographing my kiddos and their activities (dance, play, sports). I would really like a model that offers burst/continuous shooting as I'm finding I currently miss so many of the little smiles while waiting for my point and shoot to reset. Something that performs relatively well in low light would be nice. I've been leaning towards one of the bridge models, perhaps a Panasonic fz40 or a Canon SX30IS. Would like to spend under $400. Image quality and burst shooting are my top priorities and ability to do video is an added bonus. Based on these qualifications, what camera would you recommend?
    Last edited by paloalto-noslo; 11-02-2010 at 12:12 PM. Reason: posted in wrong section, sorry!

I am surprised that you have not also looked at the Sony HX1 as well. It is capable of 10fps in Burst Mode, and might be just perfect for you.

Here is a photo sample:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/So...8_mdQoB-XL.jpg

Sarah Joyce

I don't think Panasonic fz40 or a Canon SX30IS will do great in low light. And there are smaller cameras that offer the same features.
    Sony NEX 3 with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. Canon 300HS, Fuji F70, Panasonic ZS19.

Some of the problems with superzooms are edge and barrel distortion in the lenses and they are not very good in low light. These types of cameras are a big compromise. The lenses are trying to do too many tasks and non of them that well. Make sure you see a review of either camera that measures distortion, light falloff, pincushion and low light performance. Remember that programs like Photoshop can correct the distortion of most main stream manufacturer's DSLR lenses. No such settings exist for point and shoots or superzooms. Personally I use Nikon DSLRs for serious stuff and carry a Canon Powershot S-95 in my pocket almost everywhere I go. I love Canon point and shoots and the S-95 is a fantastic camera. For the price of either superzooms you mention you could buy a Nikon D90 or Canon equivalent and in the end have a much better experience.