Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Currency parity - Wake up Nikon Australia!

DSLR camera and lens prices haven't altered to any great extent in the last two years in Australia. The problem is that this situation doesn't match the reality of our currency value.

In January 2009 Aus$1 = US$0.70. In Dec 2010 Aus$1 = US$1

(before people say Nikon is a Japanese company in Jan 2009 Aus$1=62Yen and in Dec 2010 Aus$1=82 Yen)

Our currency has appreciated significantly and imports are costing less. When the dollar dropped in late 2008 companies were quick to add 5-10% to the list price due to "exchange variations". Strangely Nikon and others seem to think we are all lemmings and don't understand exchange rates and haven't altered things the other way.

What is their head in the sand rip off Joe customer attitude costing? Well grey market importers are thriving the difference between what the grey guys are offering and what approved dealers can offer is now so large that nobody in their right mind could contemplate buying from a local dealer.

Have a look at these prices and see what I mean (prices taken from web sites today)

D7000 body only legit $1685, grey $1355!

D700 body only legit $3219 less $300 rebate = $2919 net, grey $2124!

18-200VRII legit $1109, grey $614!

24-70 f2.8 legit $2327, grey $1723!

If Nikon and other camera importers don't get their act together soon on pricing they will have no local dealers left in business to support their products.

its not just nikon, all of the retailers of all goods, especially electical, need to wake up and smell the roses. they are complainign that customers arent spending...BS !! they are spending but they;re buying online cos of all of the price hikes we dont have to put up with anymore !

gf1/20mm kit....599 shipped to my front door in 3 DAYS. purchase cheap retail ? $800. purchase from a major chain like harvey norman or teds ? $1k. pissoff.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

The situation isnt much different in New Zealand. The Kiwi dollar has gone from .50 to .80 while Ive been here, and there has been little if any adjustment in prices. I buy all my stuff in the US anyway when I travel there, but it has gotten ridiculous. And the US gives a 5 year warranty on the lens.

'When the dollar dropped in late 2008 companies were quick to add 5-10% to the list price due to "exchange variations".'

Lol this reminds me of all the fuel surcharges the airlines put on when the oil price went up. When it came back down, it remained. (and really, isnt fuel something that is just an operating expense? Will there be 'pilot charges' or 'wing charges' next?)
    D7000. Nikon 24-70mm 2.8, 70-200mm VRII, 16-85mm, 50mm 1.4G, 35mm 1.8G. SB 600.

Quote Originally Posted by Thronsen View Post
    Will there be 'pilot charges' or 'wing charges' next?)

No they just charge for baggage now.

I bet there are contracts and other things to take into account. And maybe Nikon Australia paid previous AUD value for its stock, so it is slow to change prices b/c of that.
    "No matter where you go, there you are."
    -Buckaroo Banzai

Nikon D90 | Nikkor 18-105VR | AF Nikkor 50 f/1.4D | AF Micro Nikkor 105 | AF Nikkor 20 f/2.8D | AF Nikkor 70-300VR |
    Canon IXY 810IS | Canon UW Housing

My Picasa Site

Quote Originally Posted by umijin View Post
    And maybe Nikon Australia paid previous AUD value for its stock, so it is slow to change prices b/c of that.
    So please explain these two things;

Why are the high Nikon Australia prices on brand new products like the D7000? Did Nikon Australia buy and pay for those cameras 12 months before they were released?

Why do prices go up almost instantly when the exchange rate drops but stay up when the rate increases? Are there contracts in place that only work one way?

OK, you got me - I'm just postulating. Clearly, dealers and Nikon are reluctant to lower prices at all.

I can't understand why Japanese prices are higher than in the US for Japanese brands when you adjust for exchange rate. It's frustrating, because I get paid in $$, have lost 30% of my buying power in 5 years here in Japan.
    "No matter where you go, there you are."
    -Buckaroo Banzai

Nikon D90 | Nikkor 18-105VR | AF Nikkor 50 f/1.4D | AF Micro Nikkor 105 | AF Nikkor 20 f/2.8D | AF Nikkor 70-300VR |
    Canon IXY 810IS | Canon UW Housing

My Picasa Site

Change your salary to Aus$.

K1W1 -- it seems Nikon Australia have been listening to you! Prices from authorised dealers on the D7000 have dropped considerably in the last day or so -- even Ted's (which used to be one of the most expensive) now has it for $1599.95 (body only). However, I couldn't go past Digital Camera Warehouse, who are knocking out the D7000 (body only) for $1485 -- with free delivery Australia-wide until Xmas! When you take into account this price includes GST and a 12-month Nikon Australia warranty, there now seems little point in buying grey with a possibly dodgy warranty at almost the same price (when you include shipping costs).

Actually, I believe the scarcity of product in the dealers' stores plus Nikon Australia's ridiculously high original RRP caused many people to import the D7000 from places such as the US, Hong Kong and Singapore, where the RRP was much lower. Plus Nikon would have received feedback from their dealers regarding customers' reactions when told the Australian price. ("Well up yours, mate - I can get it for $1200 from B+H!!") Whatever the reason, at last Nikon Australia have seen the light -- and God saw that it was good.
    Nikon D7000 and a bunch of Nikon stuff oh, and some Canon p&s's too

I'd hate to be an Australian retailer at the moment, they're getting screwed at both ends.

Still there's always someone prepared to pay a price premium for no good reason.

I'm always amazed how many people next to me in the chemist say "no I want the brand name one". It's the same chemical and the same quality control for heavens sake!
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate