Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Global Cooling

Global Cooling

It's official, the Met Office says last month was the chilliest December in records stretching back 100 years and one of the coldest months ever recorded in the UK.
    And while globally 2010 has been one of the warmest years on record, provisional figures show that in the UK it was the 12th coldest year in records dating back to 1910.
    Temperatures in this country averaged 8C over the year, the Met Office said. The average temperature for December was minus 1C, significantly colder than the long term average of 4.2C and lower than the previous coldest December in 1981, when temperatures averaged 0.1C over the month.
    December 2010 was the coldest month in England and Wales since February 1986, the coldest in Scotland since February 1947 and in Northern Ireland it was the coldest on record.

Here's a David Kilpatrick (Photo Club Alpha) video taken in the Scottish Borders.

Nice for those of us that like to watch snow fall Thanks for the link. Very well done.
    Spook
    Canon EOS 50D,7D and some lens and equipment.
    Fuji F200 Exr

the ice age is coming....start driving your big gas guzzling suvs quick

Gas guzzlers are becoming like the Dinosaur, an endangered species, at least in Europe.
    With pump prices at a dollar equivalent of over $9 a gallon, the second hand value of these vehicles is dropping like a stone.
    I guess it's happening to a lesser degree in the US.

In other news, a man has rolled the number six on a dice 5 times in a row. I'm not saying there isn't anything to global warming etc but we do need to keep sight of the fact there are statistical anomalies and a cold winter means absolutely nothing.

Incidentally, Peekayoh, where do you live? If dinosaurs are only an endangered species there I want to visit!
    Gear List:
    Canon 40D + Sigma 18-50mm + Canon 55-250mm

My Gallery

In the UK and dinosaurs still exist here. Birds!

I take your point about anomalies but there are rather too many around for my liking.

What does global warming have to do with a photography website?

I'd love to agree with you but firmly believe it is unscientific and hysterical to look at a short period of geologic history (whether it's 1 or 100 years) and draw "wild conclusions about either heating or cooling".

A few years back we had one of the hottest years and idiots were trying to say that alone was proof positive of warming.
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

What does global warming have to do with a photography website?

EVERYTHING...YOU GET TO TAKE PICTURES OF SNOW.......NOT TUMBLEWEEDS

Although this forum is dedicated to photography it would be a boring place if we couldn't mention anything else.
    The title, "Global Cooling", was obviously tongue in cheek although evidence seems to be mounting for "Global Warming".

My reason for posting was mainly the A55 Video which seemed to me to be a good showcase for the A55 and also topical in view of the snowfalls in both the UK and the US.
    I mentioned the Record breaking December UK weather as a point of interest and also in follow up to my previous observation about the record breaking November weather...
    Quote...
    "This November has been a record breaker for both the highest Nov Temp (19C in St James Park) and the lowest -18C (here in Wales).
    The middle of November saw heavy rain and flash flooding in the South West and the end of the month saw the most significant spell of November snow since 1965"

I'm not a Met Expert so I can't ascribe these unusual climatic conditions to Global Warming but they have surely caused a great deal of discomfort or inconvenience and two record breaking months in succession does give pause for thought.
    Nothing scientific or hysterical, just observations.

Nice Sony video but please don't cite "local" weather conditions in the UK as any evidence for or against "global" warming.

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    evidence seems to be mounting for "Global Warming".
    That is an understatement. Here are facts:

http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

"The current warming trend is of particular significance because most of it is very likely human-induced and proceeding at a rate that is unprecedented in the past 1,300 years".
    Olympus E-PL1 with 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. Canon 300HS, Fuji F70, Panasonic ZS15.