Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

a900 firmware 2.0 update.....

Last edited by SONYNUT; 01-02-2011 at 10:41 PM.

I updated mine last year.

Unhappy Hangin' back ...

I have waited, due to issue concerning focal speed on the SONY 70-400mm f/4-5.6 G SSM reports.

Peter, have you heard about any of these?
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Yes Don, I did hear something but gave it short shrift.

Any improvement in focus speed and accuracy comes from better recognition algorithms. That is to say that the software now never (it seems) sends the lens in the wrong direction to start with, the calculation of position seems to be more accurate and the lens appears to snap into position more quickly. This last observation is pretty subjective so I may be being fooled. In any case, AF is definitely improved, but I don't see how a software improvement would cause an issue with the 70-400mm in particular. Having said that, most of my lenses are screw drive so there is the possibility that SSM reacts differently, but I don't really buy that either.

In any case, AF seems much better. I generally use centre focus and this FirmUp may possibly allow more use of wide area focus, will have to see.

BTW, I have heard also that the improved accuracy is advantageous to Flash ADI.

Thumbs up Feedback

Thank you for the timely feedback, Peter.

I may just go ahead and "get 'er done", tonight.

Class starts back up in a week.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Wonder how long till they fix the firmware for the a55

Thumbs up Movin' on up

Okay, version 2 of the α850 firmware is installed in my camera, widening the bracketing function to +/- 3 stops, instead of just two and allowing a manual (non-electrically contacted) lens to be operated in "A"-mode (aka "crippled-A").

Additional flexibility is always good and with the high-end camera bodies ... expected.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-25-2011 at 04:33 PM.

flickr & Sdi

How's the 70-400?