Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony A-580

Hybrid View

Sony A-580

Ordered one last week - should have it shortly. I considered the A-55 as well as the Canon D60 and T2i but in the end I thought this was the best camera for me.

now all you need is some good lenses,flash,tripod,head,memory,batteries,case,
    filters,software,faster computer.......

Question Doesn't that come ...

in the accessory bag?

Congrats on your decision, "palermo22". The α580 is, perhaps, the best choice in APS-C DSLRs at this time. It seems to be offered at a fair price and with the battery life reportedly at over 1000+ images, Niiiiiice.

The SLTs are not even close at half of that!

The α580's Optical Viewfinder ... means power-economy. Running a set of "ready spare" (one or two) $ONY rechargeable batteries for an α55 is not cheap. Throw in "time-to-charge" each battery (one at a time!) ... and it gets to be a rather cumbersome overhead. I've done the battery shuffle with BOTH flash units and the various cameras ... and I hate having to dance to that tune.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-27-2010 at 03:00 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by SONYNUT View Post
    now all you need is some good lenses,flash,tripod,head,memory,batteries,case,
    filters,software,faster computer.......

LOL !!!

So true !!

Actually the first item I did get was Gary Friedman's new book on the A580 - it's a wealth of information. Highly recommended!

almost forgot..52" plasma to watch your videos..

a580 Flash Questions

I just got the email from Crutchfield today. My a580 body only, which I ordered on Dec 19th has finally shipped. Can't wait.
    Now, my question: does anyone know if my old Minolta 3600HS D flash will work with the a580?

Not fully but good enough with the right settings

3600HSD Flash

Thanks for replying Sonynut.

I read in the a560/a580 manual that ratio flash isn't supported. Do you have any idea what other limitations I might expect? Aside from it being pretty wimpy in the first place.

I use one all the time..........i actually like it better than the fully auto ones......you can dial in what you need manually with no surprises