Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Experiments in filtration

Here is the story.

D300, 50mm f1.8 lens, f8. Camera on tripod. Sun high overhead above my right shoulder and slightly behind the camera.
    Shot in RAW imported into LR3.3, camera landscape and lens correction setting applied (sync'd to all photos). No other pp.

No filter 1/800 sec

CP Filter 1/125 sec

ND2 Filter 1/400 sec

ND4 Filter 1/250 sec

ND6 Filter (2+4) 1/100 sec

ND8 Filter 1/100 sec

ND10 Filter (2+8) 1/40 sec

ND12 Filter (4+8) 1/25 sec

ND14 Filter (2+4+8) 1/13 sec

Edited to add shutter speeds.
    Last edited by K1W1; 12-24-2010 at 04:28 AM.

Does a circular polarizer alter the white balance? I see a bit more of a yellow tint to the trees in the circular polarizer picture.

The only other thing I can think of is that the sun in that picture went behind a small cloud.
    Nikon D40|Nikon D5100|AF-S 50mm f/1.4|AF-S 18-105mm DX|SB 900|SB 400|AF-S 35mm f/1.8 DX|AF-S 10-24mm DX

Canon A610

Flickr

It may be the angle of the sun it wasn't really ideal for either the shots overall or the CP Filter. The main thing I was interested in was the effects of the various filters on the surface of the water.

Great comparison, always wanted to see real world differences.
    I see alot of Lukas's photos with various filters but would not know
    where to begin on which to use. The softening of the water really
    changes the image. What were the ss on first and last?
    - Rich

Nikon: D50, 18-70mm, 50mm, 70-200vr
    Kenko: 12mm, 20mm, 36mm Ext Tubes
    Manfrotto: 486RC2
    Benro: A-327 tripod

My Flickr Photos Here

Quote Originally Posted by rawpaw18 View Post
    What were the ss on first and last?
    I have added them.

Rawpaw, I don't really used solid NDs yet, but I am looking to add something to my filter collection. Has anyone tried to make a variable ND filter with linear and circular polarizer? I think they might be called faders as well. I'm curious how well they work.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by TheWengler View Post
    Has anyone tried to make a variable ND filter with linear and circular polarizer? I think they might be called faders as well. I'm curious how well they work.
    That sounds interesting. I'm curious too.
    Adam
    -------------
    Canon 60D & lenses & flashes & stuff
    A bunch of cheap vintage film cameras

My Etsy store

I read something negative about them on the net Lukas but no personal experience.

I'm guessing auto white balance which affected the colour due to more sand in the shot as the CP is blocking blue in the foreground by allowing you to see through the reflection to the sand.
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

Yeah I did a bit of research on them yesterday. Sounds like they have issues when they're dialed up to block more light at a wide angle. I think I'll look for a couple 4x4" filters that will fit into my filter holder.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

The CP pic is interesting. Not only are some reflected light waves blocked, but looks to me that most of those blocked are on the blue or high end of the visible light spectrum. I didn't know that CPs were selective in terms of the wavelengths (= color) of light blocked. Or maybe it's just that a lot of the light coming in at that angle happens to be quite blue, given that the sky is quite blue. (The shutter speed is also slower - perhaps giving the lower energy wavelengths on the red and orange end more time to reach the sensor?)

The reason I mention this is that when you take underwater photos, you lose reds, yellows first with depth - those lower energy colors are filtered out first. Using a strobe (or some creative post processing) can bring back those colors to your shot. Your CP shot looks like one of my post processing tricks for those.
    "No matter where you go, there you are."
    -Buckaroo Banzai

Nikon D90 | Nikkor 18-105VR | AF Nikkor 50 f/1.4D | AF Micro Nikkor 105 | AF Nikkor 20 f/2.8D | AF Nikkor 70-300VR |
    Canon IXY 810IS | Canon UW Housing

My Picasa Site