Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Well I took the hint and stopped being cheap over something priced less than a pizza.

What get's my goat most though, I feel I've been extorted into an online transaction with a 3rd party that should have been avoidable if the software from Microsoft or Nikon had worked better.

Maybe I'm just being a dinosaur but the more online transactions for tiny amounts of money the more I feel my finances are insecure.

Edit. Loaded the software and it just worked, problem solved.
    Last edited by Dread Pirate Roberts; 12-22-2010 at 05:14 AM.
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
    Well I took the hint and stopped being cheap over something priced less than a pizza.

What get's my goat most though, I feel I've been extorted into an online transaction with a 3rd party that should have been avoidable if the software from Microsoft or Nikon had worked better.

Maybe I'm just being a dinosaur but the more online transactions for tiny amounts of money the more I feel my finances are insecure.

Glad to hear that it works. At about the same time, I posed the same question on another forum. Same suggested solution and like you, bad tase in my mouth that had to pay a 3rd party. I also check Microsoft tech support "Answers" forum and they have no solution.

Look like I am going to have to pony up the $15. Wouldn't be so bad if was limited to Windows Explorer, but even Photoshop was bringing up the NEF icon in preview so you had to know the correct file number to open the intended file.
    Digital: Nikon D40; Nikon D90; Nikon D7000 Nikkor 18-55; Nikkor 55-200VR; Sigma 10-20; Tamron 17-50; SB-600; SB-900; Pocket Wizards
    Film: Canon AE-1; T70; FD 28mm 2.8; FD 50mm 1.8; FD 135mm 3.5
    Wish List: Unlimited! Let's not go there.

If it helps: I had to buy a codec for the .CR2 files the canon 5D MKII produced aswell, 'cause I couldn't find any free way to get them displayed as thumbnails in win7 x64 either.

64 bit gets no love..
    Last edited by photowerkz; 12-28-2010 at 06:21 AM.

Im not sure MS should be blamed. Its an OS, cant be expected to run RAW from camera manufacturer X natively well, if even at all.

In my other life, I spent a lot of time castigating MS for the many sins of Vista, and before that XP.

But Win 7 really works pretty well.

Now why Nikon doesnt provide a free codec, that just sucks. Hate 'jealous' proprietary stuff like that.

Nikon, I love the cameras and lenses I bought from you, $10k and counting, that is what you do well, please dont make me use your software if I dont choose to.
    D7000. Nikon 24-70mm 2.8, 70-200mm VRII, 16-85mm, 50mm 1.4G, 35mm 1.8G. SB 600.

There is an interesting comment on Thom Hogans web site this week about this very subject.
    He points the finger squarely at Nikon and I definitely agree with Thronsen that this is not something Microsoft should be held accountable for.

Would Microsoft even have the rights to poke around into Nikon's NEF file formats so that they could be previewed? I am thinking Microsoft could not even do anything even if they wanted to without Nikon's assistance/agreement
    Nikon D40|Nikon D5100|AF-S 50mm f/1.4|AF-S 18-105mm DX|SB 900|SB 400|AF-S 35mm f/1.8 DX|AF-S 10-24mm DX

Canon A610

Flickr

I suspect that the way it would work would be that MS would make SDK's available to manufacturers of third party items (software, printers, scanners, cameras, anything that interacts with the OS). The manufacturer of the particular product then develops drivers or an interface that will happily work with the OS and if they want to pay the money submit it to MS for certification.
    In this case Nikon have been tardy in doing the software development at heir end, I doubt that MS care particularly it's only one very inconsequential piece of software in the overall scheme of things (how many copies of capture NX get sold compared to Office or Photoshop?) and Nikon would only be making pennies in royalties on each copy.