Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

No autofocus while zooming in video mode

I am in the market for a new DSLR, I am very tempted by the Canon 550D and 60D.
    However, neither camera can autozoom while zooming in/out in video mode. This seams
    to be an important omission limiting the otherwise very impressive film feature.
    But perhaps this isn't such a big thing after all. If it is, I might wait until Canon implements
    it in the future or take a look at the Nikon D70000, although my first choice is a lightweight
    camera. In other words, I would like to know how the filming goes without autofocus.
    Willy

For those who need this, they pull focus manually.

Generally, this means that the scene is set, you zoom out, set focus, then zoom in, set new focus. While zooming out you simply -manually- return to your initial focus.

Setting lil duct tape marks or the like can be helpful though its mostly an experience thing.

The current batch of dSLRs are primarily -photo- oriented cameras, not -video- cameras. Therefor alot of features are lacking, the video is simply a gimmick, afterthought, or sale boost. And not the primary concern.

This is slowly starting to change as they notice how much people are liking the videos, but they are not likely to override the more expensive and dedicated video cameras.

Unless you think canon would be stupid enough to make an entire product line obsolete.

So, if you want video, get a video camera, if you want to take pictures and do a lil side video thing knowing its limited, knock yourself out.

That being said, complaining about video features to photographers is not nearly as effective as complaining about them to videographers So you're in the wrong place
    Hey! Look its a shiny link! Click it!
    CasePhoto.ca

Don't click this one, no seriously... Don't!
    The Mandatory Blog

thanks for the reply.
    I do think this is the right place since I specifically want to know what owners of
    the 550D or 60D think of the video capabilties, focusing while zooming in this
    case. I ask this on a photography forum since the cameras in question are photographic cameras.
    I don't know what Canon thinks about their product lines, but I do know that they
    might think again about this issue since Nikon is "leading the way". And, if I am
    not mistaken, Canon already has cameras with autozoom (not DSLR)
    Fututre will tell
    Willy

The AF on the D7000 while filming is, from the few samples I've seen, a joke. It hunts a lot, and has problems tracking simple objects.

Go to 08:20 in this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZPNw...eature=channel

If the AF can't even handle that, it's next to useless.

Any decent handycam/camcorder currently in the market will outperform any DSLR video autofocus/handling. The only thing DSLR videos can win at is in IQ (low-light performance coupled with nicer lenses). However, I find they are still pretty inconvenient to use.

I suggest you not to buy a DSLR based solely on video performance. Yes, it's possible to make really good videos from a DSLR, but the effort it takes is much greater then using a regular camcorder.

I took a look at the Youtube video. The Nikon's autofocus is not very impressive, is it
    One illusion less then
    Willy

The sony alpha slt a33/55 cameras seems to be your best bet, if you want a DSLR for video where you're going to use AF.

Although I didn't have a Sony DSLR in mind, I will take a look at the 33/55/.
    Video performance is not my primary concern in a DSLR, but if I buy one with
    video capabilities, I would them to work to a satisfactory level, having the means
    to shoot some moving pictures does seem to be a bonus in certain conditions.
    If it is not possible to buy a DSLR with good working autofocus while zooming in
    video mode at this time, I may wait for a while to buy one, hoping that Canon
    will bring a DSLR to the market with this feature in the near future.
    Willy

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    I may wait for a while to buy one, hoping that Canon
    will bring a DSLR to the market with this feature in the near future.

You will be waiting a long, long time.
    There is no incentive for Canon, Panasonic or Sony to produce killer video features on DSLR's as it will simply ruin their sales of professional level video equipment. Sony and Panasonic are known to be working on video cameras that use APS-C size sensors and can use DSLR lenses this is where their development of video will go.
    Nikon of course have no video market so they have a reason to want to develop video in DSLR's but they have so far not displayed either the will or the technical expertise to go through with it.
    Tax issues in the EU will also limit the development of DSLR cameras with full video capabilities.