Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Lens Questions & A33 question

Anyone used the sony 50mm F1.8? I have a nikon version that I love with a passion so hoping this is just as awesome!
    I have looked at some compareable Minolta ones has anyone ever used the Minolta ones? There good priced on ebay!
    Any good random cheap lenses i can pick up on ebay that will AF on my A300?
    Would it be worth me upgrading to the A33 over the A300?
    thanks in advance, you guys always help me
    sony A300
    tamron 17-50 2.8
    Sony SAL 11-18
    Sony 35 1.8

No, I haven't seen or used one but there is an slrgear review here.
    It appears to be a bit better than the Nikon except that it is APS-C and therefore not quite comparable.

The Minolta f/1.7 I do have and it's a great little lens. Not as good wide open, from f4 centre resolution is better than the Nikon but the borders are softer. Of course on APS-C the borders remain unused so it may not matter.

If you want class leading performance (and a price tag to match) there is the Minolta f/1.4. The Sony f/1.4 is the same lens but with ADI information available. They knock spots off anything else you can name.

Upgrade to the A33??
    If you can live with the size (I couldn't) then the A33 has a lot going for it.
    Still, I'd go for the A55 if you can, its' sensor is the latest tech, better than the A33 and a big step up in resolution from the A300.

If you like to take pictures and use manual focus a lot the veiwfinder may drive you nuts...........

If you don't use video...don't get it

hold one and try before you buy.......but if you do get the a55 instead

The old minolta lenses don't have some of the coatings the digital lenses do....mostly noticeable in bright outdoor shots of flash

The surface of a CCD or CMOS sensor in a camera is shinier than film emulsion, so there can be more light
    rays reflecting off the sensor, back thru the lens. Digital lenses have more extensive coatings on the back
    sides of the lens elements to absorb this stray light and preserve image contrast.
    Last edited by SONYNUT; 11-18-2010 at 11:57 AM.

I had one with my a700 and I really liked it. I can put up a few samples if you like.
    -Paul-
    Canon 7D - Canon 17-55 IS USM - Canon 70-200mm f/4 IS - Canon 50mm f/1.8 - Sigma 30mm f/1.4 - Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 - Canon 430EX II Speedlite

Shame on you SN!
    Minolta pioneered in coating technology and Minolta lenses have oodles of coating.
    And before someone says it, there are no special digital coatings.
    What digital lenses do have is more attention to coating the exit pupil because the digital sensor is a pig when it comes to reflectivity.

Quote Originally Posted by fdexclpl View Post
    I had one with my a700 and I really liked it. I can put up a few samples if you like.
    of the 50mm 1.8? yes if you have some of them at 1.8 of the sharp focus.
    sony A300
    tamron 17-50 2.8
    Sony SAL 11-18
    Sony 35 1.8

Quote Originally Posted by SONYNUT View Post
    If you like to take pictures and use manual focus a lot the veiwfinder may drive you nuts...........

If you don't use video...don't get it

hold one and try before you buy.......but if you do get the a55 instead
    I don't use manual that often and will do video maybe never. Also the higher resolution isn't a huge deal nor is the size.......
    Is it still worth getting the A55 over the A33?
    sony A300
    tamron 17-50 2.8
    Sony SAL 11-18
    Sony 35 1.8

then whats is it that draws you to the a33 rather than a regular dslr?

Here's a few shots...

-Paul-
    Canon 7D - Canon 17-55 IS USM - Canon 70-200mm f/4 IS - Canon 50mm f/1.8 - Sigma 30mm f/1.4 - Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 - Canon 430EX II Speedlite