Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Arrow Nikon D70 flash problem

This is my first experience using a forum, so I hope I'm doing this right and can get some much needed help. Just last week I bought a Nikon D70. I am not a professional photographer...just someone who enjoys taking pictures and using them to make things for family and friends. I previously had a Sony Mavica CD250, so this is only my second experience with a digital camera. I am amazed and overwhelmed with the capabilities of the Nikon D70, but I have one problem. No matter what I do, in following the instructions in the manual, I cannot get the built-in flash to work. I really hope someone here can help me! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by pamertz
    This is my first experience using a forum, so I hope I'm doing this right and can get some much needed help. Just last week I bought a Nikon D70. I am not a professional photographer...just someone who enjoys taking pictures and using them to make things for family and friends. I previously had a Sony Mavica CD250, so this is only my second experience with a digital camera. I am amazed and overwhelmed with the capabilities of the Nikon D70, but I have one problem. No matter what I do, in following the instructions in the manual, I cannot get the built-in flash to work. I really hope someone here can help me! Thanks!
    If there is enough light and you have the camera set to "auto ISO" it will take a pretty dark area to make the flash pop-up.

You can manually activate the flash by pressing the flash release on the left side of the flash. Make sure that the flash icon shows active flash mode on the top LCD. Should work all the way up to 1/500 sec. shutter speed.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Flash

I tried what you said, George, and it doesn't work. I took it to the store where I purchased it today, and even the guy there couldn't make it work. He didn't seem to know a whole lot about it, however. He thinks it's an "electronic" problem inside the camera and that I will need to send it to Nikon, and said they could charge as much as $700 to fix it! I just BOUGHT it! Very frustrating!

Quote Originally Posted by pamertz
    I tried what you said, George, and it doesn't work. I took it to the store where I purchased it today, and even the guy there couldn't make it work. He didn't seem to know a whole lot about it, however. He thinks it's an "electronic" problem inside the camera and that I will need to send it to Nikon, and said they could charge as much as $700 to fix it! I just BOUGHT it! Very frustrating!
    Where did you buy it? "Reputable" Nikon Authorized dealers will generally exchange the camera if there is a problem in the first 15-30 days. Or at least will send it to Nikon for you.

If the store where you bought the camera will not exchange it (be persistant), Nikon will repair it for free within the warranty period. You need to contact Nikon customer service for a return/repair authorization.

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...to=inc_service
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/