Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 Pics

Quote Originally Posted by SONYNUT View Post
    you tube can teach you a lot too....
    Great link Sonynut, a video saves a thousand words, as they (almost) say.

Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade906 View Post
    ok so tell me if this one is better[IMG]
    Yes, it's better.
    The image is brighter as a result of shifting pixels from darker to lighter.
    The Histogram reflects that and if you watched the video that Sonynut posted you will understand why.

Name:  Switch.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  306.4 KB

However, the Heron is still underexposed and there is still a blank gap to the right.

Name:  Switch 2.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  312.5 KB

Also remember that, whilst you can improve the look of an o/E image with these fixes, it will not be as good as a properly exposed in camera image.

There is more latitude with a RAW image.

well now i have the histogram turned on and if i remember all of these things while im taking pictures i should have better shots, but its going to probably take me a little while to get the hang of checking all these things before i shoot.

But worth it in the end!

Switch, the following refers to questions you asked in the POTD thread. I'm expanding it here so as not to clog up that thread and to keep your queries together.

In answer to your question "ok so how is there still that much detail in those pictures after being cropped? Is it the megapixels or something else?" and "But come on is there a certain way to crop the pictures to keep all the detail from before they were cropped??"
    I said "Switch, there's no way to do that. When you crop you throw away detail, no way to avoid it."

That was poorly worded.
    You might crop an image for compositional reasons or you simply couldn't get close enough to the subject and you're cropping out unwanted areas.
    That has no effect IQ or fine detail, it just makes the image smaller.
    If you post a cropped image here, because you have to make it smaller in any case, we will have no idea whether you did or didn't crop.
    The two images of the Black Swap I posted in POTD were both cropped but there is no loss of detail. The only lens I had with me was a 200mm prime so there was no way to get any closer.

When it comes down to it, the more pixels you start with, the more scope there is for cropping.
    Ok, so that's pretty obvious but here's a graphical representation of the image size of several popular Sony cameras.

Name:  MPs. combined.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  204.0 KB

The big issue for cropping is when you want to print an image and why Frank mentioned Genuine Fractals.
    Say you have an A4 printer and you're going to print an 8x10.
    You need a print resolution of 240ppi (or more) for a good quality print.
    I use an Epson printer, so my choice is 360ppi which gives the print driver less work to do and produces a better result.
    That means you need to start with a 10.4MP image, (8x360)x(10x360)=10.4MP.
    You can see from the graphic that the A900 offers much greater scope for the crop than does your A33, but you still have something to play with.

If your cropped image is any less than 10.4P, you can either print smaller, use a lower print resolution or resample the image to the required 10.4MP.
    If it's big resample you may fare better with a program like Genuine Fractals. Whatever you use, some degradation is inevitable.

If you have an A3 printer, you can print a 10x16 but the requirements are bigger.
    You now need to start with a 20.7MP image, (10x360)x(16x360)=20.7MP

You should know that my figures will be controvertial in some quarters and it will be said that you can get good results and a much larger print using a print resolution of say, 150ppi.
    This may be true, but requires that you view from a greater distance. A bill board may have print resolution of 50ppi but it doesn't matter when viewed from far enough away.
    The problem with photo prints, is that people start from a reasonable viewing distance, then step in close for a good look at the detail which simply isn't there at 150ppi.

As with all things, the choice is yours. If you only ever print 6x4s, go ahead and crop as much as you like.

how do i know what kind of printer i have? well i know i have an epson workforce 610 but i mean like you said a3, a4 and all the 240ppi-360ppi? What does all that mean??

And so far i dont think ive printed more then 20 pictures in my 20 years but i have had apple print them for me.

Whoops, forgot you're in the US.
    A4 is a letter size printer and A3 is twice the size, I don't know what you call it.
    If you don't print anything then forget everything I've said.
    For viewing on a TV the most you need is 2MP.
    For publishing to the Web, the most you need is 1MP

oh ok, thanks.

PER AREA/ sensor size THE A55 HAS MORE PIXELS THAN THE A900

I HAVE BEEN LIKING THAT....JUST CANT USE FISHEYE

Yes, if you apply the same pixel density to a FF (A9xx) you get 38MP.
    But the A7x is rumoured to have a greater pixel density than the A55, so .....

I went to "Orlando wetlands park" today but it's closed untill February 1st, I could only get a couple pictures from off the road.

One: a Turtle laying in the middle of the road (After taking its picture i moved it off the road)

His name is Bojangles lol

And two: A Bull and Cow

And for Peekayoh look at these histograms and let me know if they are better....