Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is this a good indoor lens?

As some of you know from my first post im new here and was wondering since there are no reviews for this lens if it will be a good lens for indoor photos? If not could you please point me in the right direction?

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921666254721

I was at the sony store today and they didnt have this one but they has 2 50mm lenses and they were just too close for indoor use IMO.

For indoor photos you generally need two things a wider angle because you don't have a lot of room and a fast aperture (low f number) so you have get a reasonable shutter speed in low light.

That lens seems to fulfil both requirements.

Ok thanks alot!

I need to order something soon because my wife will be having our baby in about 19 days and i want some good first pictures.

it won't be a wide angle on your camera since it is not a full size sensor..

1.5 x 35 =52mm equal to normal vision..basically its just like what you see with your eye...not wider or closer

what do you have for a lens now?

Switchblade,
    We are just repeating ourselves with this post.
    It's best to keep questions about the same thing in the same post, then we know whats gone before and don't tread the same ground.

Quote Originally Posted by SONYNUT View Post
    what do you have for a lens now?
    The one that came with the a33.

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    Switchblade,
    We are just repeating ourselves with this post.
    It's best to keep questions about the same thing in the same post, then we know whats gone before and don't tread the same ground.
    I wanted to get more opinions from otheres. The first post wasent really about lenses just had that question in there, this post is just about what indoor lens people think would be best.

Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade906 View Post
    Ok thanks alot!

I need to order something soon because my wife will be having our baby in about 19 days and i want some good first pictures.
    As SonyNut indicated, that lens on your camera would be equivalent to a "normal" lens. Remember to convert the mm focal length to your camera (or asks the sales person or check to see if the packaging gives equivalent mm measurements). The focal length will not only affect how much area of a scene you will capture with your shot, but will also affect how objects and people look in your shots, the latter particularly influenced by distance to your subject.

A "normal" lens (in the range of 50mm equivalent) is called normal because the focal length renders objects close to how the eye sees them.

A wide angle lens (around 35mm equivalent or lower) tends to stretch objects -- especially so the closer you get to your subject. SPOUSE ALERT - A close up of your spouse with a wide angle lens will make him/her look really wide, about 50 or more pounds wide. This tends to make spouses think your new expensive camera sucks and tends to make spouses less accommodating to future lens purchases because they get the mistaken impression that the expensive DSLR does not produce as good of images as that cheaper point and shoot camera the spouse is still using.

As you get into the "long" or "telephoto" lens range (around 70mm or greater equivalent) objects in the scene tend to compress making them look closer together than the actually are.

Since it seems you will primarily be photographing wife, new baby, and family, you might want to consider getting a lens that covers the favored "portrait" focal length range of 80mm to 135mm equivalent.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

If 50mm is close inside wouldnt 80-135 be REALLY close? I dont want to have to stand back 10-15 feet to take a picture of my baby......or my wife.

IF THIS IS WHAT YOU HAVE YOU ARE FINE...JUST PRACTICE WITH A FLASH ...

Optics/LensLens Type : Sony A-mount
    Lens Mount Type : DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6
    Aperture : F3.5 - F5.6
    Aperture (Max.) : F3.5 - F5.6
    Aperture (Min.) : F22 - F36
    Focal Length (35mm equivalent) : 27mm - 82.5mm
    Filter Diameter : 55mm
    Lens Construction : Plastic
    Lens Groups-Elements : 7 groups, 8 elements (2 aspheric surface)