Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

Exclamation how to capture fast moving subject???

Good day everyone!

i am new here, guys i have a question i hope you can answer me, See i have a Sony A200 SLR camera, and i want to shoot some image in action (Sports) with the current lens kit supplied when i purchase my A200 whenever i take the shot on a fast moving object it's either the subject is blurred, subject and background is blurred or half of the subject is blurred and half is ok, i try to adjust the shutter speed and the apperture but it is still the same the max shutter speed is only 1/8.

Can anyone suggest me of how to capture a fast moving subject without getting the result blurred? or i can only buy new lens, if so, can you suggest me what type of lens is okay for capturing fast moving subject like 1/4000.

Thank you so much, hope you can give me advice guys....

i will be very grateful

michael

are you shooting in manual?

this is indoor i take it...

you need to shoot at least 150 shutter speed...
    wide open on aperature (even though this will make your focus zome pretty tight)
    try iso 800 if to grainy 400

if you shoot in using raw you can always bring the light up later..

practice at home in low light to see how it works...take a fairly dark picture then run it through the software that came with the camera to see its potential..

now if you can afford to buy lenses then go for something with an f stop of 2.8 or lower........zooms will be 2.8....or you can go with a 135 1.8..

i used to use a zoom...but now with such big files i can crop the heck out of pics and still retain quality with my 135.zeiss
    Last edited by SONYNUT; 11-13-2010 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelts View Post
    Can anyone suggest me of how to capture a fast moving subject without getting the result blurred? or i can only buy new lens, if so, can you suggest me what type of lens is okay for capturing fast moving subject like 1/4000.
    First of all it will be real helpful to know more details about what you are shooting and what the lighting conditions are but here are some basic tips.

Set the camera into aperture priority mode.
    Set the lens to the largest aperture it has (that is the smallest f number).
    If the light is poor crank the iso up as much as you can 400 or 800.
    You need a shutter speed of at least 1/500 sec for sports where movement is random like football. You can get away with a slower speed where movement is defined like car racing. Play with the aperture and iso settings until you get an acceptable speed.
    Set your camera to continuous focus mode. If the sport is random (football) then follow the action through the viewfinder and keep the camera moving in the direction of the action (the ball if it's a ball sport). If the action is defined like car racing pan with the movement of the vehicle and you will get a sharp vehicle with a blurry background which will give the impression of movement.
    There is plenty of advice and tips on the web from sports photographers Google is your friend here.
    Once you have read up on things practice, practice, practice and practice some more. The film is cheap.

do you have focus set to spot?