Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Control your Nikon DSLR from your iPad

I know that there are some actual iPad owners here and even some who are considering purchasing. onOne have now announced an extension to their iPhone app to allow remote control via iPod Touchs and iPads.

Link here.

The app is dues to be available for sale in late November,

Thanks for the info and link.... I have been re-considering the iPad for a while now. I had one for 3 days and did not get along with it as internet speeds were slow and I hate being tied to iTunes. No flash was a bummer as well....

I have been waiting for a nice Android pad to surface but am getting impatient! ;-)
    Nikon D90 & D5100
    Nikon 18-105 VR
    Nikon 35mm f/1.8
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8
    Nikon 55-200 VR
    Nikon 70-300 VR
    f/8 and be there...
    My Flickr

Hmmm - I'll have to try this. I have iPad and connection kit - haven't been using it w/my D90 b/c it doesn't (or at least didn't) let me download directly from it. Had to use the sd card attachment.
    "No matter where you go, there you are."
    -Buckaroo Banzai

Nikon D90 | Nikkor 18-105VR | AF Nikkor 50 f/1.4D | AF Micro Nikkor 105 | AF Nikkor 20 f/2.8D | AF Nikkor 70-300VR |
    Canon IXY 810IS | Canon UW Housing

My Picasa Site

New iPad apps for photography seem to be coming as fast as iPhone ones did 12 months or so ago.

I saw a new (to me) photo editing app for iPads today and for what I can see it seems pretty good bearing in my the limitations of the iPad.

Photogene (available for iPhone/Touch plus iPad) At $3.99 it's a neck of a lot cheaper than CS5!

"With Photogene you can:

* Enhance photos with multiple color adjustment: adjust color levels, exposure, contrast, saturation or manipulate the RGB.
    * Apply filters such as the sharpen or the pencil filter.
    * Crop, straighten and rotate your image.
    * Add fun effects like text balloons, frames or special filters.

Photogene introduces a powerful, yet very simple to use interface and lets you focus on making your photos better. With Photogene around you are guaranteed to keep more photos than before."

Developer home

App store

I have a few of the photo editing apps. I'll mention those I actually have:

Filterstorm ($3.99) is pretty good in terms of number of features and performance. I chose it over Photogene after looking at various reviews. Photoshop Express is OK, but limited - gives a hookup to PSE and their web service, plus some basic features (it's free). Photonasis HD (free today) is just filters, no real editing, but easy to use. Diptic lets you make Diptichs (sp?). PhotoBox (free for now) is nice for previewing your photos and displaying on an external monitor, but no editing.

The question is are they useful? Well, so far I'm not getting much use out of them. If I'm not going to be home for a while, it's nice to view and futz with photos on my iPad - maybe send a few to Picasa or Facebook. But that situation isn't happening much for me right now. Furthermore, if I'm traveling and taking lots of photos, that means a lot of storage space - even for my 32GB iPad.

I like the idea of tethering to a camera, but not sure the onONE app really does that elegantly. The iPhone/iPodTouch version is already available, and in order to use it your camera has to be connected via USB to a computer. The iPad version seems to just extend that functionality to the iPad screen size. It would be way cool if you could tether TO the iPad directly.
    "No matter where you go, there you are."
    -Buckaroo Banzai

Nikon D90 | Nikkor 18-105VR | AF Nikkor 50 f/1.4D | AF Micro Nikkor 105 | AF Nikkor 20 f/2.8D | AF Nikkor 70-300VR |
    Canon IXY 810IS | Canon UW Housing

My Picasa Site

Head north 'til you smack a polar bear, then crank it back 50 miles.
    What would be cool is wireless tethering. I'd be all over that.
    Critique most definitely desired...

Thanks for reminding why I hate Apple K1W1.

Downloaded DSLR Camera server, setup the wireless connection between my Touch, downloaded the newest version of iTunes to get the client...this Apple ID has been disabled for security reasons.

Bloody Steve Jobs
    My Savior, My Leader, My Father and My Shepard.
    I praise thee Lord All Mighty

D700/Nikkor 14-24mm 2.8/Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8/Sigma 70-300mm 4-5.6 APO/ Nikkor 50mm 1.8