Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Possible malware exposure

A security hole in our ad server allowed a hacker to inject malicious code into some of our ads. It's not clear if this malware actually does anything, but Windows users should use antivirus software to make sure that your computer is not infected. The hole in the ad server has closed, and I have removed the malicious code from the ads. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
    Jeff Keller
    Founder/Editor, Digital Camera Resource Page

Just did a scan, nothing was found

Thks for the heads up
    Nikon D40|Nikon D5100|AF-S 50mm f/1.4|AF-S 18-105mm DX|SB 900|SB 400|AF-S 35mm f/1.8 DX|AF-S 10-24mm DX

Canon A610

Flickr

Do you have more information about the potential malicious code? Like what scanner is capble to pick it up and with what malware definition?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Keller View Post
    A security hole in our ad server allowed a hacker to inject malicious code into some of our ads. It's not clear if this malware actually does anything, but Windows users should use antivirus software to make sure that your computer is not infected. The hole in the ad server has closed, and I have removed the malicious code from the ads. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Avast picked it up immediately

Cheers, Don
    Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photography

Olympus E-3 ~ E-30
    ZD 50 ~ 7-14 ~ 14-35 ~ 14-54 ~ 12-60 ~ 35-100 ~ 50-200 ~ EC 20
    Velbon tripod/ball head
    Slik tripod/Jobu Jr 2 Gimbal

Sites complain about people using ad blockers and other such software to avoid ads, but then they serve up ads with viruses. It?s not fair to the site to blocks their ads, but neither is it fair to users to risk damage to their systems. It?s a difficult situation for everyone.

I fully support the death penalty for hackers.
    ________
    Mercury sable picture
    Last edited by Graystar; 03-11-2011 at 09:34 PM.

FYI, this happened again yesterday, November 2nd. Please scan your PCs for malware. OpenX seems to have a lot of security holes. Apologies for the inconvenience.
    Jeff Keller

Hi Jeff. Sorry this is happening. My Avast captured it multiple times. About six actually. It seems to be continuing alright. I don't see any actual damage to my computer or files, so I'm not particularly worried. However, that malicious code is STILL affecting your site (I'm thinking mostly the ads though I can't detect which one(s) are doing it). I hate to even bring it up but you may have to temporarily suspend your ad(s) to address the problem if this continues. Better to risk losing some advertisers than risk losing your viewers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Cobra View Post
    Hi Jeff. Sorry this is happening. My Avast captured it multiple times. About six actually. It seems to be continuing alright. I don't see any actual damage to my computer or files, so I'm not particularly worried. However, that malicious code is STILL affecting your site (I'm thinking mostly the ads though I can't detect which one(s) are doing it). I hate to even bring it up but you may have to temporarily suspend your ad(s) to address the problem if this continues. Better to risk losing some advertisers than risk losing your viewers.
    You're still getting warnings today?
    Jeff Keller

DC, I installed Avast this morning to see if it was catching something that MS Security Essentials was not, but I'm not getting any warnings. If you do get a "hit" please send all details to my email address, with screenshots if possible.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Jeff Keller

Hi Jeff. Yeah, on Friday morning (11/4) when I woke up my Avast had detected the issue. Unfortunately, I deleted the offending gremlin as is my common practice. Then when I went to your site I read all that you had posted. The good news is that Avast has not detected it again. I've visited the site all weekend so far and clicked on your ads but I cannot detect or reproduce the problem anymore. So that's good news.

If I do detect it again I will certainly screen capture whatever it says and forward it to you privately. Meanwhile, I see on the forum that another member (Don Kondra) managed to capture it as well on his Avast. You may want to contact him to see if he still has it quarantined so he can forward you the information.

Again, it looks like the trouble has passed. These things happen and as I said no worries here and no damage. I'll keep you posted.

Dark Cobra