Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Angry How to deal with Neanderthals?

How would you deal with an idiot like this?

This past weekend, I was covering a major college football game (in Idaho), and it was the biggest game ever played in that state, and arguably the biggest event of any kind ever in the state (crowd size, national media attention, more reporters and photographers than has ever been to a game at Boise St.). So in this day and age, you would expect security to be tight...

I arrive 3 hours before game time, and as soon as they start checking anyone in, I'm there, so it wasn't a last minute situation. The security person is checking bags and gear, as he should, so I open my bag and tell him "This is my camera, and this is my lens." (my 70x200) He takes it out, and decided he needs to shake it by his ear like it was a thermos bottle. He's probably never seen a lens that size, and has no idea how heavy it is, so in the process of shaking it, he promptly drops it! On the Concrete!

Fortunately, it survived ( http://www.buildingthedam.com/2010/9...s-past-beavers ).

I leave not only the lens hood (reversed) on the lens, and also the bipod collar mounted, and that saved the day, because they are what took the brunt of the fall.

I tested it on the camera body then and there, and told him he should be careful, but I could tell by his expression and reaction that he still had no clue. He not only wasn't sorry he dropped my lens, he was annoyed with me for thinking what he did was a problem. He said he didn't believe a lens could actually have very much value.

So how do the rest of you deal with the unqualified (minimum wage can't get any other job) event security staff being hired by the subcontractors showing up these days? (There wasn't even a supervisor available to complain to!)
    A350, A200
    Tamron 70-200 SP AF DI-LD 77mm, Tamron 70-300 58mm, Minolta AF 50, Minolta AF 100 55mm, Sigma 20-70 52mm, Tamron 200-400 77mm, Tamron 28-300 XR DI-LD 62mm, Tamron 28-80 58mm, Minolta AF 70-210 55mm, Tamron 1.4 teleconverter, Sony 75-300 55mm, Sony 18-70 55mm, Sigma EF 530 flash, Canon S3.
    Go Beavs!

Red face Glassy-eyed revenge!

He can praise the "lucky star" he was born under that it was not me he had done that to, otherwise we would have both been in the newspaper, today!

1) The first story about him, just barely surviving a viscous beating with a rather heavy 70-200 lens, horribly scared after being beaten to a pulp and probably will not be fathering any children in this lifetime, due to the emergency rectal surgery that had to be performed to remove the aforementioned lens from his ...

2) The second story about a rather perturbed spectator, who went off on security and had to be taser'd and restrained, but not until after severely altering the exterior and interior of a rather clumsy security guard, who won't soon forget that photographers can be brutally direct when you mess with their equipment. A valuable lesson was learned and witnessed by several spectators, today ...

Yeah ... just depends on how much you get involved with your gear, I suppose. Nobody touches my stuff, especially some moronic butterfingers. You did not see that coming ... and it does demonstrate the lack of mental acuity some people have. I am positive this was a justified beating-to-be ... and that jerk would not have gotten an ounce of sympathy from me.

I truly feel for your gear, Andy. That's not right and this clumsy arse needs to be held completely accountable for his actions, to avoid such issues in the future, at the very least. It is a good thing for both of us that it did not happen to me. I would write a couple letters and see what falls out, other than your lens.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-27-2010 at 09:07 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

You say, "This cost $1200. I need to speak to your supervisor, immediately." And if the supervisor is also a neanderthal, you repeat the process.
    Adam
    -------------
    Canon 60D & lenses & flashes & stuff
    A bunch of cheap vintage film cameras

My Etsy store

Had the lens been knocked out of service, he would have died on the spot.

Normally, I don't let anyone touch my gear, and normally, those types don't insist. That's why I proactively showed him the stuff. In this case, you had to let them touch stuff or there was no getting in, and no doing your job.

Reasonable people in those roles, when told about something in advance, even if they don't understand, will work with you, and that's fine, if frustrating.

I do intend to follow up with a letter, to the University who hired the subcontractor. But that does no good at the moment of truth.
    A350, A200
    Tamron 70-200 SP AF DI-LD 77mm, Tamron 70-300 58mm, Minolta AF 50, Minolta AF 100 55mm, Sigma 20-70 52mm, Tamron 200-400 77mm, Tamron 28-300 XR DI-LD 62mm, Tamron 28-80 58mm, Minolta AF 70-210 55mm, Tamron 1.4 teleconverter, Sony 75-300 55mm, Sony 18-70 55mm, Sigma EF 530 flash, Canon S3.
    Go Beavs!

I USED TO GET SO PISSED WHEN THE GUY AT THE AIRPORT WOULD TAKE A DOZEN PICTURES TO MKE SURE THE CAMERA WOULDN'T EXPLODE.....HELLO, FILM ISN'T FREE

I open the bag and remove a lens cap if needed. No one should need to touch it.

I might write a letter to the security management about having clumsy wankers on duty.
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/

Quote Originally Posted by SONYNUT View Post
    I USED TO GET SO PISSED WHEN THE GUY AT THE AIRPORT WOULD TAKE A DOZEN PICTURES TO MKE SURE THE CAMERA WOULDN'T EXPLODE.....HELLO, FILM ISN'T FREE
    I had a guy open the back of my film camera ... with a half-shot roll in it. So much for those pictures.

As far as lenses, I keep my 70-200 attached to the camera when going through security. In my experience, most people seem to think that a camera with a really long lens on it must be REALLLLY expensive and they handle it like it might break if they touch it in the wrong way.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

I'd have politely as possible gotten his name and taken his picture and asked for his supervisor's contact information. I'd inform him of the lens value (70-200 f2.8 IS ver 1 sells new online for $1800 + tax/shipping) and how exact calibration is critical and his company will be paying to have it calibrated - or repaired if suddenly one of the several exhotic-glass elements is now cracked or damaged in any way. He couldn't do a damned thing about it and if he tried he'd just increase his plight.

In other words; I'd be a real pain in the A.

There's no cause to do anything illegal like threatening him, cursing, or even being rude. But; since the company sent him there to check the arriving photographers he needs to be trained a bit - particularly on the fact that he could just look thru the thing since it's hollow. Shaking it would hardly uncover a bomb much less a crafty rocket or other weapon. Of course; taking a photo with it would be smart.
    Lots of Canon DSLR stuff.

How about negotiating with the university to reimburse you for an inspection service of the item to confirm they didn't damage it, and follow through with getting the inspection, sending a report and a bill. Money gets attention, a pain in the A is a nothing.
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

I still tend to like my "optical suppository" or semi-permanent "colonoscopy" idea. He would not have seen that coming! Muahahahahaha
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-28-2010 at 07:34 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi