Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Photokino

Cool Again ... we are talking Photokina

Forget the SLTs that were introduced ... the SONY gang cannot even get a A560 or A580 DSLR, in the US, for the time being. We're not even sure it will come at all, at this point.

I would like to see a mirror-lifting DSLR with the translucent mirror option ... for high speed fps when you lock it down. That's the real magic that could easily be in one of these ... and no one is offering it.

Leave it at that.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Leave it at that.
    so you agree then that there is ZERO IQ degradation on a dslr that has movie mode.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

... I would like to see a mirror-lifting DSLR with the translucent mirror option ... for high speed fps when you lock it down. That's the real magic that could easily be in one of these ... and no one is offering it.

Leave it at that.
    They can't offer it, it's just not feasible.

.........The old guard or Minoltans are still awaiting their "king of the hill" camera, which will deliver true DSLR operation and not some misdirected, through-the-mirror, set-your-camera-on-fire Full Frame video.
    I guess I qualify as "Old Guard" and I've got my "king of the hill" camera in the A900.
    Ok, there's no Video, but I'll manage regardless.

Opting to use the translucent mirror for high-speed fps is one thing. That is a compromise for serious still capture .. and people realize it. Having the mirror do both in-place and the standard mirror-lift to allow true OVF pentaprism operation is always going to be the best solution.

I mean, it does seem simple enough ... and it really deflated my expectation when SONY did not drop that shoe into the ring.
    It's not simple, in fact the technologies are mutually exclusive. You simply can't have an OVF + reflex mirror + semi-transparent mirror.
    The high frame rate is simply a side effect of using the semi-transparent (call me old fashioned) mirror for Phase Detect.
    Frame rate is determined, in this case, by the speed at which the Aperture can be closed. The e-mount has the advatage here.
    The whole point of the SLT is to enable PDAF in Video.
    You may have a point about the Mirror affecting IQ but really, the jury's still out on that one.
    I could glibly say, if you don't like it don't buy it, but in reality you probably won't get to choose in the long run.
    People have already voted with their wallets and, like it or not, video is here to stay.
    Right now, you have the choice of an SLT or a DSLR but it looks like the A700 replacement will be SLT although an A7xx is not totally ruled out.

To say that the lifting mirror/OVF is always going to be best is stretching things IMO, even though I'm a firm advocate of the benefits of the A900 OVF.
    You're assuming that an EVF will never be as good as an OVF which is a dangerous assumption (well maybe not dangerous).
    Using past EVF's as your yardstick may lead you to that conclusion but there is no doubt that EVFs will improve hugely.
    Already the SLT EVF is probably better than the small pentamirror of the lower Alphas.
    EVF's also bring other advantages.
    They can display artificial horizons, grids, DOF information, histograms etc (maybe not all at the same time).
    Display a true DOF preview.
    Amplify the VF in low light.
    Magnify the image to assist focus.
    Are substantially cheaper than a Pentaprism OVF.
    Maybe more....

I can envision a FF camera with no mirror at all, OnSensor PD/AF and a Global shutter (no mechanics) that would be smaller, lighter, quieter, cheaper and better than what we have now. The SLT is just a step along the way.

I'm not saying you should abandon your OVF DSLR, I'm certainly not and I expect another iteration of an A9xx to be made. That will give me another 10 years or so with my existing A-Mount lenses, after which I probably won't care one way or the other.

Not that I won't embrace new technology as well.
    I'm expecting the A77 to be something of a killer sports/wildlife machine, 20+MP, 30+ point AF sensor, 10+ fps and oh yea, Video.

The semi transparent mirror may be a flash in the pan. Panasonic is making great strides toward making contrast detect focus legit. My little GF1 never disappoints in the focus department and the new GH2 appears to be even faster. The GF1 never feels slow like a P&S, it locks on quickly, and decisively. I have treated it a little like a point and shoot this year, but it's much more than that. It's a great DSLR like camera in a very compact form. I like it more and more.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    EVF's also bring other advantages.
    They can display artificial horizons, grids, DOF information, histograms etc (maybe not all at the same time).
    Display a true DOF preview.
    Amplify the VF in low light.
    Magnify the image to assist focus.
    Are substantially cheaper than a Pentaprism OVF.
    Maybe more...
    smaller is the key
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Not sure what you mean Rooz.
    They can make the DVF as big as they like, or did I completely miss the point?

Quote Originally Posted by TenD View Post
    The semi transparent mirror may be a flash in the pan. Panasonic is making great strides toward making contrast detect focus legit. My little GF1 never disappoints in the focus department and the new GH2 appears to be even faster. The GF1 never feels slow like a P&S, it locks on quickly, and decisively. I have treated it a little like a point and shoot this year, but it's much more than that. It's a great DSLR like camera in a very compact form. I like it more and more.
    Well, that's micro 4/3 and the lens elements are relatively quite small.
    When it comes to the bigger lenses of the larger formats I doubt that CDAF will be able to compete.
    CDAF seem to have the capacity for greater accuracy than PDAF but I doubt it can ever match the speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    Not sure what you mean Rooz.
    They can make the DVF as big as they like, or did I completely miss the point?
    no mirror box or traditional shutter = the ability to make the body smaller or use that real estate for other things.
    flickr

Question Holy smokin' mirrors, Batman!

Are the smaller video cameras designed for movie-shorts? If you really plan on shooting an extensive video ... YOU GET A VIDEO CAMERA!

Man ... what a circle this is becoming.

Let the heat begin ...

Name:  SLTA55VL-heat-is-on.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  325.5 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-01-2010 at 10:10 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi