Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Photokino

This thread is funny.

Oh, and BTW, a badger would destroy a skunk.

Yes very entertaining guys lol. Well done for walking the line nicely between good natured discussion/argument & decending into flaming abuse. Who knows if you were to actually meet you might even get on ....eventually
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    It's not stubborn to have the "RIGHT" tool for the job, Rooz. Just ask me ... I'll tell ya.
    who are you to determine the right tool for what job ?

You know ... I did not just wake up one night and make this call. I have grown up around this hobby ALL my life.
    so what ? have you used photoshop all your life ? how long you have been doing something doesnt add squat to your argument. age is no substitute for credibility.

Many of the younger members cannot even remember a decent 35mm-film camera and certainly not the departure from manual focus lenses to autofocus, back in 1985. These were major advancements for the photographic community.
    so what ? who cares if some 18yo hasnt picked up a film camera ? how does that make their opinion any less valid than yours in this context ?

Adding video is not the same. Like you say, it is blending ... increasing workload with no benefit to the improvement of the other.
    it doesnt increase your workflow anymore than shooting the video with a P&S or a bridge camera or indeed a proper video camera would.

I have argued that it is a waste of effort to try and optimize each, together. I simply say ... buy the camera for the real mission or job.
    yes, you have argued...unsuccessfully.

You need to make a "real" movie ... get a real movie camera.
    who said anything about "real movies" ? i just want to record special moments on the same tool that i use to take photos at the flip of a switch.

Don't try to make your DSLR do it. It is not the same, no matter how many people claim it is.
    what video camera can record in low light with dslr capability ? what video camera has a wide angle lens like a dlsr ? none.

Skunks still stink, even if you cannot see them.
    the only thing that stinks is your ability to form a rational argument.

Admittedly, the SLT-α33 & α55 Alpha lens-based cameras are not DSLRs, so I guess we can excuse them from the argument. They are "interchangeable lens P&S cameras .. with better video capabilities."
    dont get caught up in the labels. SLT, DSLR...there is no fundametal difference in their use.

Look, I missed that "Academy Award for Novelty Short Drama" by quite a number of votes. I know that. I had 'students' for actors, not 'acting students.' There is a monstrous difference. You don't have to rub it in, as I assure you that the "paycheck" was not that big. Putting up with the humiliation of a critique was more than enough payback!
    i didnt bring your video into this. you did. you tried to use it as an example of how video is somehow a poor cousin to photography cos you only got 5 views on a crappy video. i mean pls...what does views on your video prove at all or bring to this argument ? all it proved was that no one was particualrly interested in your video.

BTW: Rooz, I apologize if you do not know what a North American skunk is ... but, believe me ... you will know it is there, before you ever see it ... or, at least, you will hope you did. Phew!

pls learn how to debate to point and form a rational arguement without all this diversion out of desperation. try and keep up old man...
    Last edited by Rooz; 09-24-2010 at 01:29 AM.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Question Moving to a new middle? Mediochrity?

This point-by-point assault is getting nowhere. I understand that you disagree. That is regrettable, because it serves no real purpose other than to antagonize this member of the DCRP.

Rooz, if you have a true "SIDE" to present, make it so. In so far as your tear down of my contentions go ... it seems almost arbitrary. I have tried to present a side that says ... keep the two separate. Like church and state. Video may seem like photography, but it is intrinsically different. Homogenizing (STILL/MOVIE) is nothing more than torturing your DSLR in ways it really was not designed to do. There are plenty of alternative ways to do this and do it CORRECTLY, without heaping this kind of nonsensical drama into your camera's workload.

It has nothing to do with age or experience, although having that view certainly allows the argument to be reflective. As a purist, I am happy with the SONY Full Frames not having to share this "burden" of obligation on the camera. There is no expectation of a MOVIE with the α850 or α900. When and if it gets used ... I know when I yank out the CF card or Memory Stick ... they are not full of animated, poorly laid out or poorly lit/composed footage, taking up all my shot space!

In essence, what I am saying is: If someone wants footage ... get a "footage-maker." Leave the DSLR alone and do not tempt people to do with it what they should not. Pushing the two together makes a murky and terrible distinction/expectation. YOU of all people should be able to realize this. YOU need to re-evaluate and measure the issue more closely. Yes ... my friend, YOU. It's all about YOU. Take a picture of the man-in-the-mirror. Tell him that he should not change his ways. Not all changes are for the better ... are they?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-24-2010 at 07:56 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Video killed the radio star!

Trouble is Don, you're trying very hard to push water uphill.
    Like it or not DSLR Video is here to stay.
    Many users (even though I'm not one) do want the option of Video even if it's crippled video.
    Sony have received a thorough shellacking in the press for not offering it.
    What were they going to do other than fall into line.
    Don't think the A9xx is immune either.

Cool Corrupting your work ... unnecessarily

I suppose tucking the convenience into a low-end camera makes some sense, but corrupting the integrity of the Full Frame DSLR for the sake of a cheap video solution ... seems rather ludicrous. When you are spending that kind of money on something ... you are probably a purist, to some degree.

The argument stands that sleazing your images through a Translucent Mirror solution would be ... unnecessarily silly for 100% of your work, just to have a 1% (maybe) chance need for making a MOVIE!

I suggest that it would be better to have the new SLT-α77 on hand as not only a "backup", but your movie-maker (if you must) ... it would be a lot cheaper, too, when you need to purge that desire for a 'quickie-movie.' I guess we all have our urges ... uh, oh nothing, sorry, I was just musing aloud.

Wrecking a 100% of my work ... for a simplistic movie feature ... borders on cutting your nose off to spite your face. I suggest you reexamine your approach to your photography. Regardless of how you look at it, that mirror is an inherent corruption to the light.

Name:  pelliclemirror.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  36.4 KB

I do not know about you, but I did not spend thousands on my well-ground lenses and optically pure filtration just to have some cheap semi-permeable, dust-collecting, fingerprint-harboring mirror corrupt all of them.

Okay, how's this for a rather coherent objection?

"GET OUT OF MY LIGHT!"
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-24-2010 at 10:33 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Don,
    The people have spoken, and they said they want video in their DSLR. Camera manufacturers are therefore putting it in in the hopes of selling equipment. People then buy them. It's called a free market economy. You don't need to buy them. But they are being bought and sold, and that's good for the economy.

That said, the video feature in DSLRs is allowing people to create content not possible before. An example of this is the season finale of House, M.D. They said they could not have done scenes with regular video equipment due to the location. They got it done, and aired the show and sold advertisement (you can look this up yourself on the Internet, not just take my word for it). See, it's good for the economy, like I said earlier . You're not against people making money, are you?

Just take really good care of your A850 so you never, ever have to have a DSLR with video in it. Because that would be terrible.

The whole draw to video dslr isnt the fact that it is a dslr..it is the abillity to use regular lenses to get tight dof....it wouldn't matter realy if it was a dslr or looked ,like a box...(red)...video dslr are just a cheaper way to go, than a red ,or simular...and does just a good a job for internet and tv productions, commecials ect.

This is why canon is king right now in my biz.......right now its 75% canon 20% red usage..5% film....depends on budget...

Red face Musically stated ...

To the tune of Michael Jackson's "She's Out Of My Life"

[1st Verse]
    Get Out Of My Light
    Get Out Of My Light
    And I Don't Know Whether To Scream Or Yell
    I Don't Know Whether To Say “What The Hell?”
    This May Cut Like A Knife
    Get Out Of My Light

[2nd Verse]
    It's Out Of My Hands
    It's Out Of My Hands
    To Think For Four Years That SONY Was Here
    And I Took That For Granted, I Was So Cavalier
    Now The Way That It Stands
    It's Out Of My Hands

[Bridge]
    So I've Learned That Light Is Important
    And I've Learned That Light Will Fade
    Now I've Learned That Light Needs Caressing
    And It Won’t Be Delayed

[3rd Verse]
    So, Get Out Of My Light
    Get Out Of My Light
    Silly Technology And That Cursed Mirror
    I Wish They Would Have Kept It Out Of Here
    It May Cut Like A Knife
    Just Get Out Of My … Light

It probably won't be the hit that MJ enjoyed, but it gets the message across.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-24-2010 at 11:19 AM.

flickr & Sdi