Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Photokino

Thumbs up Give us ...

32MP FULL FRAME ... w/o video, but RF flash control and a new focusing system to f/2 and terrific noise compensation.

Yeah, baby ... I am in!
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    32MP FULL FRAME ... w/o video.
    stubborn and ridiculous at the same time. good stuff. lol
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Question Oh, say ... what's your "movie" about?

Video is a memory PIG (oink oink) ... and is rarely viewed more than once. Heck, I posted a recent video on the Internet ... it has all of five views. That's it. People cannot be bothered. I cannot say that I blame them. I'm not Spielberg ... and neither are the other 50 million SLR/DSLR camera owners. Video in the DSLR is a marketing tool to simply $ELL more cameras, and that's about it. People, traditionally (<- important word, there), look at the STILL shots a whole lot more, it is quicker and usually gets the message across ... and video, by its very nature, takes a tremendous amount of time to properly produce, especially as it moves along from one venue to the next. The investment is rarely worth the effort ... unless you just are playing.

Nah, this is not outdated thinking ... just experience which "newbies" do not YET enjoy. They will eventually see that the "MOVIE" button is more pain than pleasure. Personally, I won't waste my time with playing with it any further. My suggestion is JUST take better photographs ... and forget about running a streaming scene.

I'll be honest, I and everyone else on the planet, by now, seem to know that the bride and her loyal troop of ladies are going down the aisle. Seeing hours and hours of this kind of footage is redundant and quickly becomes rather annoying. The longer the aisle, the more agonizing it becomes. Impact is "THE MOMENT' ... not the multi-minutes or even hours of dragging your audience through it ... all over again, with sound! You hear the wonderful, blaring organ music (or whatnot) and then someone leans over and asks, during your presentation, "Psst - Excuse me, but is that annoying 'whirring'-sound your camera's lens sawing back and forth?" ... yeah, real professional.

Of course, there are some places where it has tremendous value, but there are many, many more places in the grand scheme of things where it holds no value and is ... wasteful of resources and irreplaceable time ... and probably just over the top and bothersome. Normally, a good video requires far more planning time than a photograph, unless you are some ad hoc shooter who simply does not care what happens ... and in this "hurry-up-and-get-the-heck-out-of-my-way" world of ours ... that is not "normally" conducive to a good flow. These things are at odds with each other. There have to be better things to do with your time. Oh yeah, why not try taking better images and not be worrying about sound levels and flow-lighting?

Hey ... one man's opinion ... but, it is YOUR time to blow off. Do as you will. ::: Don waves his hand dismissively :::
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-23-2010 at 09:49 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Video is a memory PIG (oink oink) ... and is rarely viewed more than once.
    only if you use it.

Heck, I posted a recent video on the Internet ... it has all of five views. That's it.
    thats cos your video sucked.

People cannot be bothered.
    ever heard of youtube ?

Video in the DSLR is a marketing tool to simply $ELL more cameras, and that's about it.
    no, its not. marketing tool in the context you are talking about means that its something thats pretty useless but the company disingenuosly sells it as an important feature. you know...like built in HDR, 10fps shooting that doesnt work, using words like EXMOR etc.

People, traditionally (<- important word, there), look at the STILL shots a whole lot more, it is quicker and usually gets the message across ... and video, by its very nature, takes a tremendous amount of time to properly produce, especially as it moves along from one venue to the next.
    yeah, lets say they do look at the shots a whole lot more...so what ? how does that prove a thing or reduce the need for video ?

Nah, this is not outdated thinking ... just experience which "newbies" do not YET enjoy.
    it is outdated, ridiculous and stubborn. you have zero experience cos you dont shoot video with a dslr.

They will eventually see that the "MOVIE" button is more pain than pleasure.
    nonsense. people have been shooting video for decades. people are shooting movies with their cellphones now ffs. video doesnt need to be some awesome production. sometimes it just needs to be a moment captured forever.

My suggestion is JUST take better photographs.
    if you;d followed that advice for only half the times you post it, you;d be much better at doing what you profess to do.

I'll be honest, I and everyone else on the planet, by now, seem to know that the bride and her loyal troop of ladies are going down the aisle. Seeing hours and hours of this kind of footage is redundant and quickly becomes rather annoying. The longer the aisle, the more agonizing it becomes. Impact is "THE MOMENT' ... not the multi-minutes or even hours of dragging your audience through it ... all over again, with sound! You hear the wonderful, blaring organ music (or whatnot) and then someone leans over and asks, during your presentation, "Psst - Excuse me, but is that annoying 'whirring'-sound your camera's lens sawing back and forth?" ... yeah, real professional.
    gobbleydegook.

Of course, there are some places where it has tremendous value, but there are many, many more places in the grand scheme of things where it holds no value and is ... wasteful of resources and irreplaceable time ... and probably just over the top and bothersome.
    so only use it where it holds tremendous value.

why not try taking better images and not be worrying about sound levels and flow-lighting?
    refer above.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Red face Obviously ...

There seems to be some disagreement with my position on this subject and while some would say "that is unfortunate", I have to arrogantly suggest that I am entitled to my position on the issue. We all see the world through different optics.

I am not covertly doing something unusual, but simply practicing what I preach. That is at issue? I want people to take better STILL images and quit trying to cram two sciences into one device. It is wasting a lot of time ... and that is just the saddest aspect of it all.

Look ... grab a camera and make the next STAR WARS with it. Personally, it matters not. All I am asking is that they just improve my DSLR before they ask me to waste my time evaluating something I do not plan on making use of.

First things first, NEX things next.

flickr & Sdi

you are not tryign to sell it as your opinion. you are trying to sell it on the basis as either fact or that you somehow know better than others based on "experience". neither of which is plausible.
    flickr

Cool Debatable ...

Discussions I have with people who have routinely used these DSLR/Movie combination cameras provide more than enough information to let me know that you keep the STILLs in their design ... and the MOVIES in their respective design. Mixing the two, have been less than "productive" for many.

I have been told again and again the the 7D's overheat when left in MOVIE mode, after 15-minutes. I believe the manual says that even the SONY a33/a55 cuts off recording after 9 minutes. Obviously, that poor sensor is cooking without a break or ventilation. That sounds like a torturous existence to moi with a high likelihood for camera FAILURE.

Why not do it the correct way? These designs are worlds apart.

I cannot see burning the coin to find out, personally. There is no need.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-23-2010 at 05:58 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Discussions I have with people who have routinely used these DSLR/Movie combination cameras provide more than enough information to let me know that you keep the STILLs in their design ... and the MOVIES in their respective design.
    who have these discussions been with Don ? straw men i suspect. for everyone that it has been unproductive for there are just as many who it HAS been productive for. by your logic, if i talk to people who have found dslr too difficult to use and they go back to P&S that means there is an issue with the dslr. this is not evidence of anything.

hybridisation of technology has been around for YEARS in EVERY technology. PC's were originally for work, then became games tools. phones, P&S cameras, TV's, MP3's. why is a dslr immune to this ? answer: no bloody reason.

Mixing the two, have been less than "productive" for many
    this is a nonsense. it cannot be counterproductive becasue the cameras still take great photos. movie is an add-on that one does not have to use. it has not added to the cost, has not comprimised the design or performance. so its either good or its "nothing."

I have been told again and again the the 7D's overheat when left in MOVIE mode, after 15-minutes. I believe the manual says that even the SONY a33/a55 cuts off recording after 9 minutes. Obviously, that poor sensor is cooking without a break or ventilation. That sounds like a torturous existence to moi with a high likelihood for camera FAILURE.
    you seem to think that the only reason to take video is for an ocar winning performance requiring loads of time. this is simply UNTRUE. most video is less than a minute so stop talking out of your behind. it is not designed to replace video cameras used to video tape your 6yo's performance of wizard of oz for an hour and a half.

you;re just being stubborn old man.
    flickr

Red face Eew, what's that smell?

It's not stubborn to have the "RIGHT" tool for the job, Rooz. Just ask me ... I'll tell ya.

You know ... I did not just wake up one night and make this call. I have grown up around this hobby ALL my life. Many of the younger members cannot even remember a decent 35mm-film camera and certainly not the departure from manual focus lenses to autofocus, back in 1985. These were major advancements for the photographic community.

Adding video is not the same. Like you say, it is blending ... increasing workload with no benefit to the improvement of the other. I have argued that it is a waste of effort to try and optimize each, together. I simply say ... buy the camera for the real mission or job. You need to make a "real" movie ... get a real movie camera. Don't try to make your DSLR do it. It is not the same, no matter how many people claim it is. Skunks still stink, even if you cannot see them. Admittedly, the SLT-α33 & α55 Alpha lens-based cameras are not DSLRs, so I guess we can excuse them from the argument. They are "interchangeable lens P&S cameras .. with better video capabilities."

Video is a memory PIG (oink oink) ... and is rarely viewed more than once. Heck, I posted a recent video on the Internet ... it has all of five views. That's it. People cannot be bothered. I cannot say that I blame them. I'm not Spielberg ... and neither are the other 50 million SLR/DSLR camera owners.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    thats cos your video sucked.
    Look, I missed that "Academy Award for Novelty Short Drama" by quite a number of votes. I know that. I had 'students' for actors, not 'acting students.' There is a monstrous difference. You don't have to rub it in, as I assure you that the "paycheck" was not that big. Putting up with the humiliation of a critique was more than enough payback! I had all of three miserable hours (one class period) to select and acquire a shooting site (somewhere on campus), retrieve the necessary equipment (lighting, camera, reflectors, sound equipment) from the check-out, set-up, grip the lighting, direct, shoot evaluative "cinematographic stills" & record each scene location, break down that entire piece for a final grade (no redos).

It truly was a "one-hit-wonder-why-he-made-it" kind of effort. It certainly wasn't my idea ... and I certainly did not have that one-handed miracle "SLT-α55" to do it with. I had to use a REAL movie camera, instead. It is a flippin' miracle it even got done, huh?

BTW: Rooz, I apologize if you do not know what a North American skunk is ... but, believe me ... you will know it is there, before you ever see it ... or, at least, you will hope you did. Phew!

Name:  skunk.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  35.6 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-23-2010 at 10:49 PM.

flickr & Sdi