Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: Dyi sony 3-d?

Lightbulb Dyi sony 3-d?

Well, 3-D Photography, like anything else, is not all that simple ... or is it?

The biggest issue is identical (almost) photographs taken from twin vantage points. In concept, you need to have two properly positioned and identical light paths to make it look correct. Typically, two identical lenses (aperture and focal length) focused to two sensors. Yeah ... typically.

... or do you?

Check this out, if you are ... creative ... and somewhat "good" with your digits.

DYI 3-D Shooter
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

never have been a fan of 3d....i don't want to ever were regular glasses

Red face Mitsubishi's & Toshiba "no-glasses" approach

At 2010's CES show Mitsubishi's & Toshiba "no-glasses" approach were presented ... and even SONY had a prototype cylindrical 3D approach. There are inroads being made ... because if we are stuck with the glasses ... this technology is not going to become common apparel.

Sorry ... even the most serious 3D devotee' is not going to buy into that idea.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Lightbulb The Loreo 3D Lens

I had found the Loreo to be a truly inexpensive way to experience what it is like to get started in 3D shooting. With the lens costing less than most other lenses, it has to be a bargain.

Name:  a850-w-loreo-3D-lens.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  253.8 KB

So, the question really is ... where is the commitment to the art?

Obviously, shooting with the massive DYI 3D splitter allows you to use most all of your lenses, where the Loreo is simply a lens by itself and far more convenient to lug around. It will fit nicely in your pocket.

Again, my curiosity is piqued for seeing this very affordable lens used on a SLT or one of the new "movie" capable α500s. Again, it is the experimentalist in me. I tend to gravitate back to that ... habitually. Old habits die hard. I hate the idea of having to buy the coming SONY HDR-TD10 3D Handycam,

Name:  HDR-TD10 - alt.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  109.3 KB

Name:  HDR-TD10 - alt2.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  141.5 KB

if we can eek out the same thing with the SLT or the other, for a carload less.

The fact is, a "working" 3D approach is going to be the path to "new money." There just is not that much out there and if well-trained or experienced people can put themselves in as "expert" ... it stands to reason that the public should beat a path to your door.

Make a 30-minute 3D movie for the upcoming cable 3D channel ... and it will get more play time than anything else. How cool would that be? Exposure beyond measure.

Please, bring an idea to the table.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-23-2011 at 07:32 PM.

flickr & Sdi

3d ...no thanks