Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question The SLTs are being shipped this week

I don't know how to classify the SLT-series of cameras, because they really do not fit the true definition of a DSLR ... but actually act more like point & shoots.

Sure, they have the novel idea of interchangeable lenses ... but then commonality tends to breakdown. There is no reflex optic for the viewfinder, because it is not optical, but electronic.

1. Lens (Alpha Optic)
    2. Reflex Mirror (normal position)
    3. Shutter
    4. Sensor (or media - film)
    5. Position of Reflex Mirror (during 'shutter release')
    6. Image Focusing Screen
    7. Pentaprism or Penta-mirror
    8. Viewfinder Window

It is a camera somewhere in between digital Point & Shoot and looks kind of like a digital SLR ... I would almost say it is a "homogenization", but not really.

Should they have their own forum?

Is there really room for them here?

Hey, what about the NEX camera?

Perhaps we can solve this by calling the "SONY Digital SLRs forum" the "SONY ALPHA forum" ... that blanket title covers it all (that is, when the NEX is sporting the LA-EA1 Adapter).

Happy Labor Day ... the "summer" is officially over.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-07-2010 at 05:47 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I think we must stay with the DSLR. This is what the forum is all about...

Exclamation Directing traffic with a clear title

I think SONY is seeing it more about "the mount", since they bought the rights to the A-mount from Minolta ... they would appear to be hanging it in front of everything. (P&S {via the SLT}, Camcorders, NEX)

The DSLR has become only another aspect to SONY digital photography.

The confusion reigns with the Point & Shoot (SONY) forum either adopting these interchangeable-lens newbies (NEX and SLT) ... or the waters become muddied in adopting them to the Digital SLR forum. Personally, having people misplacing the resultant postings and threads will make things ... sloppy.

SONY has changed imaging formats and processes ... and there is no going back. In the past three months, they have single-handedly introduced not one, but TWO kinds of new cameras behind the ALPHA mount, making a total of THREE! The "SONY ALPHA forum" would pretty much eliminate that confusion, right up front and once and for all.

I mean, personally ... even I am confused!

I suggest the DCRP get a jump on it, BEFORE the masses arrive with their questions and exchanges ... because, the cameras are in the mail.

Thanks
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-07-2010 at 06:14 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I agree. If you are confused, how do you think I must feel ? lol

No-no-no.
    There is an argument that the NEX is more P&S than DSLR and has a different mount to boot.
    The SLT on the other hand retains the A-mount, uses the same lenses, is possessed of a viewfinder and as far as the user experience goes, handles the same as a DSLR.
    The changes are all about Video so you may as well try to ban cameras with video.
    In any event, the likelihood is that SLT cameras will replace entry level cameras so you will end up banning those users to whom this forum is most useful.

Lightbulb Clarity ... not division

All I am suggesting is that we rename the forum to redirect ALPHA users into one place, not two. We have had the occasional DSLR question wind up in the P&S forum ... and vice-versa. It gets unnecessarily messy, but it is BECAUSE the user did not understand the division. Now, matters are even more ... unclear.

Once the SONY ALPHA forum is established ... it makes direction a whole lot simpler for the new user. The video people can chime in with their advice and whatnot. I see getting ahead of the storm as an advantage, not a negative.

If nothing is done ... well, let the chips fall as they may, I guess. Viva Hurricane Katrina ... the lesson unlearned.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-07-2010 at 10:34 AM.

flickr & Sdi

I thought S3000 proposed DSLR only!

Okay ... we need to be a little more clear, here. LOL

I would appreciate hearing Jeff's insight on this, as he is the "gumba" deciding things massive and site-changing.

flickr & Sdi

THERE IS A SONY FORUM..IT HAS 3 POSTS

Thumbs up You ...

You, Steve,

look like you are one of the main contributors. LOL

Again, it is a matter of where people are going to wind up going for information concerning their new type of camera. I, personally, rarely even look at the SONY forum ... unless something catches my eye as being inappropriately located there when I scan the last post list for all the forums.

Again ... my interest is only in clarity. Most people that have not been on DCRP have no idea how long it can take to get a response to their posted question. I mean, if they went to the trouble of becoming a member ... why not help them to the answers?

I really do not believe any existing SONY DSLR members are going to get lost ... but, then again ... there have been a few that did raise my eyebrows, from time to time.

flickr & Sdi