Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Cool The current view of SONY DSLR ...

So, when you consider the "current" SONY line-up of tangible goodies...

SONY DSLR Class Picture (Aug 2010)
    Name:  SONY lineup 2010.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  266.4 KB

obviously, the heavy-weight lenses are still missing (500/4), as well as the "upgraded" performance FF (a9xx) and high-end APS-C class (a7xx).

Cripes, it seems like it has been a long wait behind my viewfinder ...
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-31-2010 at 07:15 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Cool An accounting ...

Name:  SONY lineup 2010.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  266.4 KB
    Click twice on ABOVE IMAGE for access to the bigger picture

Here's the object identifier for you:

NEX Row:
    NEX5 Black
    NEX5 Silver
    NEX3 Silver
    NEX3 Red
    NEX3 Back

DSLR Camera row:
    a900
    a850
    a580
    a560
    a55
    a33
    a390
    a290

1st Lens row:
    e-mount 16mm
    e-mount 18-55mm
    DT 30mm f/2.8 Macro
    16mm f/2.8 Fisheye
    CZ 85mm f/1.4
    135mm f/2.8 [4.5] STF
    CZ 16-80mm f/3.5-4.5 Zoom
    16-35mm f/2.8 Zoom
    DT 55-200mm f/4-5.6 Zoom
    50mm f/2.8 Macro
    20mm f/2.8 Wide-Angle
    DT 50mm f/1.8
    28mm f/2.8 Wide-Angle
    50mm f/1.4
    DT 35mm f/1.8 Wide-Angle
    85mm f/2.8

2nd Lens row:
    a-mount to e-mount adapter
    e-mount 18-200 f/3.5-6.3
    35mm f/1.4 G Wide-Angle
    DT 18-200 f/3.5-6.3 Zoom
    DT 18-250 f/3.5-6.3 Zoom
    CZ 135mm f/1.8
    75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Zoom
    70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G Zoom
    CZ 24-70mm f/2.8 Zoom
    28-75mm f/2.8 Zoom
    100mm f/2.8 Macro
    DT 16-105mm f/3.5-5.6 Zoom
    DT 11-18mm f/4-5.6 Zoom
    DT 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Zoom
    CZ 24mm f/2.0

3rd Lens row:
    70-200mm f/2.8 G SSM
    300mm f/2.8 G SSM
    70-400mm f/4-5.6 G SSM
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-31-2010 at 07:13 AM. Reason: The prettier image
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

NICE CHECK LIST..

Red face Things come and go ...

It's a weird and ever-changing image, that's for sure. There have been 22 individual SONY DSLRs in the past four years. You see only 10 (without the repeat of the colored NEX units) of them here. Also, SONY has reduced the lens inventory, also, by a few they no longer carry from the original (2006-2007) count.

I expect to see the "new" α780 introduced at Photokina 2010, next month ... and the massive 500/4 G SSM, too.

BTW: I did a total of ALL of the SONY GLASS, in the image above, at the price SONY Style has them at (normally) with the exception of the NEX 18-200 lens ($?) and came up with the rather mind-numbing result of:

$30,209.67

Remember, this does not include any of the cameras, as they come and go every three years ... glass lasts ... well, some A-mount lenses are at least 25 years old and still going strong. So, that's the real investment.

Try to buy great glass, when you can.

BTW II: If your want to get totally anal about the cost of ALL the stuff (cameras included) in the above image, assuming the cost of the NEX 18-200mm lens is around $500 and we add the duplicate NEX cameras, too ... ~$42,200.00. I mean, just in case you are wanting to impress your spouse or something, with the parade of little orange boxes you get all this
    stuff in.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-31-2010 at 07:17 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Lightbulb If SONY delivers ...

Should SONY blow everyone's mind at Photokina 2010 and introduce either the α77 or α750, the actual on-the-shelf or pre-order better be quick, because looking back, this is a "transition year" for them.

Stepping into the mine-field of a "Video-augmented" DSLR, this camera will represent one of the largest comparisons ever done, especially in light of how long it has taken SONY to ... respond "properly."

With SONY's long experience at driving the video bus ... it demands being simply the "best on the market." Anything less and, well, they knew that going in and have obviously accepted and stepped up to the challenge with the announced production release of the two mid-level α5xx entries and the translucent mirror fraternal twins, α33 & α 55.

The α7xx standard represents something "special" in the line ... a departure from the consumer level devices we have witnessed in the past two years ... and having a nearly professional feel and quality to it. I sincerely hope this departure from "the norm" is maintained ... and, like the α700 before it, something truly special is delivered.

But hey, that's just me.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-31-2010 at 07:18 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Hi there, Don-

Thanks for the Sony insights, they were well thought out. Obviously there still are some unanswered questions.

1. How does the introduction of the SLT cameras, the A33 and A55 affect the viability of the NEX line? They seem to take a big bite out of the Nex's potential market.

2. Taking a long term viewpoint, don't you think that it would also seem that the SLT cameras force the current Alpha line into some kind of radical re-organization, at least regarding the A-2XX, and A3XX cameras? Perhaps the existing A-500 and A-550 will become the lower end of the Alpha DSLR line, with the A-2XX, and A-3XX cameras being phased out.

3. Don't you believe there is a lot of user pressure to see an A-700 replacement at Photokina? Ideally an A77 could merge smoothly into the SLT line and provide a proper place for the much expected and demanded A-700 replacement, while adding strength to the SLT line.

4. is the fact that we are seeing more utilization of features from the P+S line and the NEX line landing in the Alpha SLT/DSLR line any hint of more camera line homogenization? Could the SLT technology be dropped into high end P+S cameras?

Perhaps there is a whole lot more going on at Sony Headquarters than we are now being told about in any detail. You have created an excellent thread Don, please stay with it.

Sarah Joyce

Lightbulb Consider the future of DSLRs ...

Quote Originally Posted by speaklightly View Post
    Hi there, Don-

Thanks for the Sony insights, they were well thought out. Obviously there still are some unanswered questions.

1. How does the introduction of the SLT cameras, the A33 and A55 affect the viability of the NEX line? They seem to take a big bite out of the Nex's potential market.
    Hi Sarah,

The NEX is a camera with its own future, consisting of a completely different mount (the "E"-mount). Yes, there is an adapter ring for the A-mount, but it would appear that if you do not have "α"-mount lenses, using the "E"-mount keeps the NEX-series camera reasonably small and convenient. For what it does, I think it has its own niche. I do not see myself running out and getting one, but Steve certainly has found a use for his. Guess we shall see what develops in that regard.

2. Taking a long term viewpoint, don't you think that it would also seem that the SLT cameras force the current Alpha line into some kind of radical re-organization, at least regarding the A-2XX, and A3XX cameras? Perhaps the existing A-500 and A-550 will become the lower end of the Alpha DSLR line, with the A-2XX, and A-3XX cameras being phased out.
    I am of the opinion that you should consider the differences of Optical Viewfinder (OVF) vs Electronic Viewfinder (EVF) Photography. Arguably, EVF is a migration, for all intents and purposes, from the P&S camera design, where instant identification and determination by the human eye is kind of secondary. I struggled with this aspect of the P&S when I was shooting a race car booking around a track. I was totally frustrated at not being able to "track" or pan with the car as it moved along at nearly 150+ mph.

The struggle becomes moot when you can assume your subject is, for argument's sake, "constant" in location or trajectory, because there is that inherent delay between image buffering and the next shot. As such, you stand a good chance of losing a high-speed or a radical target not being where you expect it, as you shoot a 'still shot' this way.

You will find that with the Optical Viewfinder (OVF) ... it is real time and as such, you can instantly redirect your camera's view to capture the redirection of high-speed action. This is the type of DSLR response that we traditionally think of. The α2xx and α3xx provide a lost cost entry point into the traditional OVF solution for the masses. Elimination of that would require the prices drop substantially on the a5xx series to fill in for it. I suspect marketing might have
    something to say about altering their plan.

To be kind of visionary about it ... I could see the rapid development of an α22 design (w/o video), allowing
    for a low-cost P&S "feel" to the DSLR ... as an INTRO-interchangeable lens camera.

3. Don't you believe there is a lot of user pressure to see an A-700 replacement at Photokina? Ideally an A77 could merge smoothly into the SLT line and provide a proper place for the much expected and demanded A-700 replacement, while adding strength to the SLT line.
    To be frank, I think there was a lot of user pressure to see the a7xx last January, when the original α700 was dis-
    continued and everyone stood around, with their hands up, asking, "Where's the replacement?"

The SLT-α77 will have to have some outstanding "professional" touches to be a viable heir to the α700-series, otherwise why bother with it at all? The α55 is rather impressive all by itself, but still lacking items that would make it appeal as a replacement to the α700 system. If you are an α700 user, you know the aspects of which I speak. Those little short cuts that the camera has built-in that make it feature rich and simpler to "get the shot" the way you want it.

Being a man with larger-than-the-norm hands ... without some kind of vertical grip attachment, I know I would be inconvenienced when mounting the larger lenses. The ergonomics of the α77 would have to take this issue into consideration, by redesigning the camera so that the right-hand becomes optional and the left-hand bears most of the weight, instead of the traditional way it is now, where you hold the camera mainly in your right-hand.
    Also, that EVF-issue needs to be addressed by having the data buffering inconsequential to what you see as you shoot. It has to be "real time" to make it truly viable.

The focusing system of the α700-series has to be much better than the previous versions. It has been one of the biggest knocks against the camera from the beginning. If they have truly improved on that, then we have a contender.

4. is the fact that we are seeing more utilization of features from the P+S line and the NEX line landing in the Alpha SLT/DSLR line any hint of more camera line homogenization? Could the SLT technology be dropped into high end P+S cameras?
    Actually, I could imagine a rather massive reduction in the P&S line, at this point, if not even the total elimination of that type of camera in preference to the Alpha and NEX camera's. It would make things at lot simpler than constantly having to buy a "whole" new camera every time new technology arrives on the scene. At least with a DSLR-type of design you can keep your lenses and not have to pay over and over for, effectively, a toss away.

Perhaps there is a whole lot more going on at Sony Headquarters than we are now being told about in any detail. You have created an excellent thread Don, please stay with it.

Sarah Joyce
    Thanks, Sarah. I do have my own concepts when it comes to some of this. SONY has seemed to adopt a few solid ideas from the user community, out here, and we are now seeing the superior results, unlike what Canon and Nikon users usually get from their respective companies.

When you look at what SONY has done with their approach to Live View and, now, their stabilized video and autofocusing solutions ... something good is going on. Our biggest enemy has seemed to have been the time to get the stuff to market. I know the camera groups are pounding on the walls for Full Frame options of all the advances.

SONY is not sharing their side of communication other than producing the cameras ... and optics, but by these advances, you can easily see that they are at least "listening" ... and that provides a source of hope for a future.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-31-2010 at 07:21 AM.

flickr & Sdi

i dont think the SLT cameras effect the NEX potential market at all. they are still too big to be considered a viable P&S alternative. and i highly doubt the a700 replacement would be an a77 in the SLT mould. if it is all hell would break loose. it'd be funny to see just from the POV of Don ranting and raving...but highly unlikely.
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Contrast & Compare

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    i dont think the SLT cameras effect the NEX potential market at all. they are still too big to be considered a viable P&S alternative. and i highly doubt the a700 replacement would be an a77 in the SLT mould. if it is all hell would break loose. it'd be funny to see just from the POV of Don ranting and raving...but highly unlikely.
    I want to be clear, I am no "fan-boy" or "tag-along" when it comes to this exercise of my "spending capital." I am expecting certain things out of my equipment and will raise an objection when I do not get the results I seek. I certainly am what I would like to think as "fair", despite your often contrary views.

Spending more than I have to for expected results ... well, that's nonsense. Canon and Nikon still refuse to give their users in-the-body-stabilization, which is quite useful when you have lenses that do not have this feature.

What has it been? Five years, now? Still nothing?

The world is changing, once again ... and SONY seems to be kicking down the door and saying, "if you guys won't do it right ... stand aside, here we come."

Personally, I admire the stand. I am a little miffed at the length of time to get to market. I mean, it should have been here, yesterday, right?

I do agree, as far as an α77 ONLY replacement/upgrade ... that would be kind of weird, in regards to the current α560/α580 release, as we have seen. Obviously, someone still thinks OVF has a place in the market. That's sound thinking, in my book. I fully expect an OVF α7xx to be released and soon. The market is more than ready for it.

MAKE IT SO(NY)
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-31-2010 at 07:22 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I want to be clear, I am no "fan-boy" or "tag-along" when it comes to this exercise of my "spending capital." I am expecting
    certain things out of my equipment and will raise an objection when I do not get the results I seek. I certainly am what I
    would like to think as "fair", despite your often contrary views.

Spending more than I have to for expected results ... well, that's nonsense. Canon and Nikon still refuse to give their users
    in-the-body-stabilization, which is quite useful when you have lenses that do not have this feature.

What has it been? Five years, now? Still nothing?
    surely you jest...you are actually the most pure definition of fanboy i've ever come across !! lmao

as for the in body stability...the argumenet has been done to death over and over. you get hammered every time and i like you too much to do it again.

and can you PLEASE reduce the size of that silly image distorting the page.
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr