Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Question Are you ready?

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    you cant be switching brands with every release just cos one model may be slightly better than another. the EXPECTATION should be that the a7XX would be better than the 7d since its got a full year worth of development up its sleeve since the 7d was released. you can be sure that if...and i say IF...the a7xx is a better specced model then the 8d will trump it again and so on and so on.

at the end of the day there are 2 things to help people decide. whats the system like ? clearly canon is miles in front right now when comparing the system options and the performance of its dslr's. secondly, whats the system's history like ? again, canon clearly in front. 2 years worth of BS dslr models hasnt done much for sony's reputation as a system of choice for serious hobbyists or pros. and their new dslr's follow the same vein really. people speak with their wallets and sales dont lie, sony if losing ground in dslr and its

sony needs 2 solid years of churning out high level models of quality rather than gimmicks before a lot of people take them seriously as a system of choice.
    I cannot refute your expectation, my friend. I also believe that SONY has a solemn obligation to its "high-end" users. The intro cameras are low hanging fruit, in that regard. They are bringing their P&S crowd into the fold, as it were.

But, now that we have the intro-DSLR well-developed, as you surmise, it is time to cater to the demands of true artistic/professional photography for the line to truly develop. SONY has prepped the entire market for a revolution ...
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I cannot refute your expectation, my friend. I also believe that SONY has a solemn obligation to its "high-end" users. The intro cameras are low hanging fruit, in that regard. They are bringing their P&S crowd into the fold, as it were.

But, now that we have the intro-DSLR well-developed, as you surmise, it is time to cater to the demands of true artistic/professional photography for the line to truly develop. SONY has prepped the entire market for a revolution ...
    So we've all been hoping since the release of the +30 models way back when.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post
    10fps isn't all that great the way it was implemented. It's quite limited especially given the AF abilities. The true continuous rate is 6 fps.

Also the movie mode does not support any form of 24 frames per second, although it can do 1080i at 60fps. Also the NR is way too heavy on this camera for it to have clear high-iso results. Given the price of ~750 though it's not bad for who it's really comparing against. But to say everyone is going to trade in their 7D would be dreaming.
    dr4gon, you're confusing the A55 with a true DRLR. It's more like a video cam that takes great stills.
    The AF in Video is unmatched by any DSLR and the stills AF isn't too shabby at the price point either.
    24fps is irrelevant at this price point, 30fps is fine for the target market and anyway most of them will perceive 30fps as better than 24fps.
    There's a big market for the A33/55 and unless CaNikon catch up Sony will clean up the sector.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    you cant be switching brands with every release just cos one model may be slightly better than another. the EXPECTATION should be that the a7XX would be better than the 7d since its got a full year worth of development up its sleeve since the 7d was released. you can be sure that if...and i say IF...the a7xx is a better specced model then the 8d will trump it again and so on and so on.............
    I don't know whether the A7xx will be better/worse than the 7D or 8D but the A700 was not competing in the 2000USD sector of the market. The A700 was introduced at 1300USD (I think) so to go for the 2000USD price would be quite a step up in the market and in expected performance.

You're right that users can't be switching brands with every new camera release, just not feasible, and is why Sony can't easily dent the CaNikon user base. I've said it before many times but Sony's only workable strategy is to target new users and P&S up graders. That's what all those entry level cameras were for, and the strategy continues with first the NEX and now the A33/55 and A560/580. Sony will see how sales go and cut their cloth accordingly. They've certainly stirred things up and there's no doubt all eyes are on Sony to see what's coming next. I wonder whether they will follow current form with an A7XX and A77? and an A9xx and A99.

ANOTHER DAY, ANOTHER COMMERCIAL NOT SHOT WITH A SONY
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I don't think Sony will replace the Canon video models anytime soon until they can perfect it on a FF sensor.
    Till then Canon still has the advantage with 24fps, manual gain control and FF.
    But Sony can definitely make a dent in this segment for sure.
    I predict they will overtake Nikon as the second choice for a DSLR with video if that were ever a consideration for a VDSLR.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr®
    FLUIDR

Quote Originally Posted by Elisha View Post
    I don't think Sony will replace the Canon video models anytime soon until they can perfect it on a FF sensor.
    Till then Canon still has the advantage with 24fps, manual gain control and FF.
    But Sony can definitely make a dent in this segment for sure.
    I predict they will overtake Nikon as the second choice for a DSLR with video if that were ever a consideration for a VDSLR.
    cant agree with any of that elisha. i dont think sony having video in full frame makes the slightest of difference. the vast majority of people who want video in dslr as a high priority will be amateur/ hobbyists...not pros with full frame.

they wont be second choice either, if sony are smart enuf to target that bottom and middle sector, they will be the first choice. people who still value photography as their first choice and video a "nice to have" wont pick sony yet en masse.

the top end FX type of people you're talking about make up a tiny infintisimle part of total sales so are essentially irrelevant as far as this goes imo.
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Spot on, Rooz.

Exclamation Continuous Video limitation - read this

Okay, so now we are into video in the DLSR ... and if you go to the continuous video portion of the manual, you read this:

• Each continuous recording time value indicated is depending on the temperature or
    status of the camera.
    • The recording time is longer when you disable the SteadyShot function that calls for
    using a tripod or a similar device.
    • Each continuous recording time limit indicated for a movie is available for about
    nine minutes (SLT-A55/A55V) or for about 11 minutes (SLT-A33) at a room
    temperature of 20°C (68°F). When you disable the SteadyShot function, it is
    available for about 29 minutes (SLT-A55/A55V/A33).
    • If is indicated or the camera is turned off automatically since the temperature
    inside the camera is too high, you can record movies again after turning off the
    camera for several minutes.
    • The maximum size of a movie file is about 2 GB. When the file size is about 2 GB,
    the recording stops automatically when the file format is MP4, and a new movie file
    is created automatically when the file format is AVCHD.
    • The maximum continuous recording time is 29 minutes.

The last portion of this is IMPORTANT that you understand why it is 29 minutes. It is a European-restriction because of EU-taxing rules. If a video recorder records continuously longer than 29-minutes, 59-seconds ... it is considered a "camcorder" and subject to a higher tax base. So, we are effectively SCREWED because of a European tariff regulation restriction, not something the camera is really not physically capable of ... but a silly software instruction.

Thank you, Europe. Please notice "Land of the Free", over here.

Who says politics do not play a role in our photography? Cripes, it is imposed in our friggin' software and we are not even subject to the law!
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Okay, so now we are into video in the DLSR ... and if you go to the continuous video portion of the manual, you read this:

• Each continuous recording time value indicated is depending on the temperature or
    status of the camera.
    • The recording time is longer when you disable the SteadyShot function that calls for
    using a tripod or a similar device.
    • Each continuous recording time limit indicated for a movie is available for about
    nine minutes (SLT-A55/A55V) or for about 11 minutes (SLT-A33) at a room
    temperature of 20°C (68°F). When you disable the SteadyShot function, it is
    available for about 29 minutes (SLT-A55/A55V/A33).
    • If is indicated or the camera is turned off automatically since the temperature
    inside the camera is too high, you can record movies again after turning off the
    camera for several minutes.
    • The maximum size of a movie file is about 2 GB. When the file size is about 2 GB,
    the recording stops automatically when the file format is MP4, and a new movie file
    is created automatically when the file format is AVCHD.
    • The maximum continuous recording time is 29 minutes.

The last portion of this is IMPORTANT that you understand why it is 29 minutes. It is a European-restriction because of EU-taxing rules. If a video recorder records continuously longer than 29-minutes, 59-seconds ... it is considered a "camcorder" and subject to a higher tax base. So, we are effectively SCREWED because of a European tariff regulation restriction, not something the camera is really not physically capable of ... but a silly software instruction.

Thank you, Europe. Please notice "Land of the Free", over here.

Who says politics do not play a role in our photography? Cripes, it is imposed in our friggin' software and we are not even subject to the law!
    What is you would want to record that's greater than 29 minutes and yet less than the 2GB file limit size anyway?
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II