Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    it's a shame people don't research properly and explore enough to make an informed decision, you'd think before they fork out $800 or whatever it's an automatic reflection!

to have expectations from this device that just don't exist when you are reading up on it nor that are claimed by Sony...is inexplicable....

I sold my T1i (Canon) to get this....I'm sure that photo purists...semi-pros....and pros...would think me foolish or mistaken for doing so....but I go back to my reasons**....and they all look good to me to validate my decision....however, I'm sure in about a year, I'll sell my a55 to get whatever offers a few more convenient features that are appealing to me at that moment which are currently unavailable in a model less than $1K.....the battery life is inferior to the Canon, for sure....then again, consistent with other Sony cams....and I've owned a few....

(in no particular order)
    1. compact size from DSLR-like quality
    2. Auto focus HD video....at 1080p!!!!!!
    3. 10 fps...taking photos of my son's karate or soccer events is a pleasure....
    4. less than $1K

I live in a city of over 3 million people.....most shops are sold out and the item is back-ordered....we're all a bunch of gadget whores.....LOL...
    You took a photo of what?

Waiting to purchase a new camera.

like most things..research only goes so far...manf, aren't going to tell you the bad points....people that don't have the demands of a pro will post, yeah its great...ect,ect......
    hands on is the only way to go.....

i.m not saying its a bad camera...i just wish sony would get of its butt and catch up with demands..till then, canon is eating them up

I appreciate where you're coming from....i think sony and canon are going after different clients with regards to this 'junior' category...

in speaking with a friend yesterday he tells me the a55 is too small and does not offer a good enough grip....i can see where he's coming from...so a5xx and a7xx is what he's looking at....and no advanced user i have spoken to would even consider Sony...they say Nikon and Canon are all they need...

vive la difference....

i just picked up an extra battery and basic 55-200mm zoom at the sonystyle store near my home.....will certainly be playing around with this over the weekend....oh and btw, the clerk confirmed no a55s available anywhere across the country until next week!!!!! That's my country of course....also known as the 51st state...LOL...

Quote Originally Posted by fotomatix View Post
    it's a shame people don't research properly and explore enough to make an informed decision, you'd think before they fork out $800 or whatever it's an automatic reflection!
    this makes total sense but then you killed it when you said this...

10 fps...taking photos of my son's karate or soccer events is a pleasure....
    if people did their research they would have discovered that the 10fps is a marketing gimick that doesent work particularly well.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    this makes total sense but then you killed it when you said this...

if people did their research they would have discovered that the 10fps is a marketing gimick that doesent work particularly well.
    in your 'advanced world' perhaps this is true....me..everyday Joe photo taker...works like a charm....it's all about expectations.....I didn't expect master photographer results....which I would say you know 20X more than I ever will based on your Flickr sets....awesome photos by the way....
    Last edited by fotomatix; 10-13-2010 at 01:34 PM.

DID A QUICK AND DIRTY RUN AROUND TOWN...NOTHING COMPARED TO MY OTHER CAMERAS....IT'S OK ON A TRIPOD ..BUT FOR ON THE GO LIKE MOST PEOPLE WOULD BE USING IT AS...NO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAd8eYenV3c

Quote Originally Posted by SONYNUT View Post
    DID A QUICK AND DIRTY RUN AROUND TOWN...NOTHING COMPARED TO MY OTHER CAMERAS....IT'S OK ON A TRIPOD ..BUT FOR ON THE GO LIKE MOST PEOPLE WOULD BE USING IT AS...NO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAd8eYenV3c
    what other dslr cameras do you have, that take superior video, in a moving car, at night?

Quote Originally Posted by fotomatix View Post
    it's all about expectations...I didn't expect master photographer results...
    i stand corrected.
    you are 100% right.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    i stand corrected.
    you are 100% right.

so Rooz, the kit 18-55mm that comes with it is pretty basic, but gives the range, an amateur like me is looking for,...if I would upgrade this 'general use' lens what should I look at to purchase? considering I would want to focus on portraits and my budget is $300 to $500 (US).....thanks

i dont know much about alpha mount lens' so cant really give any advice on this. Don or peek can provide the detail.

what you want for portraits generally is sometrhing like a large aperture 50 or even better 85mm lens. the sigma 50mm f1.4 has been getting rave reviews, am sure it would come in alpha mount. otherwise the sony 50/1.4. i dont think sony make an 85/1.8. tamron 90/2.8 which doubles as a superb macro lens.

good luck.
    flickr