Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    i see, so movie mode is a gimick but full panorama and auto hdr isnt ? lmao
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Angry Sounding off ...

I'll be perfectly honest with you, aside from HAVING to shoot a video for class ... and they would have supplied the DV Tape Camera ... I have not felt the urge to make a video with my DSLR. Not even a tickle on my neck.

Not only that, my little video camera is dying of loneliness, because it never gets used.

Yeah, it is just more junk to worry about breaking ... and of little use for taking stills. Also, until they can provide a focusing-sound noise-free input sound system ... forget about it! If you have a noisy lens ... there goes the audio! I can see why they forced users to manually focus, it is quieter ... or buy expensive SSM (USM) (HSM) lenses. Yeah, that's a bargain!

Still are stills and video is video ... merging the two seems ... silly to me. Just take good images ... and let the cinematographer be good at what he/she does. The work load is just too much to do both with equal justice, unless you like living in the digital darkroom. Do not try to force me to like it or express it as a positive. I just do not see that way. One thing that it does do well would be to fill up a perfectly good memory card and crowd out my still shots.

I'm not condemning anyone who cares to waste the effort. We all cut our teeth on some thing of another. We learn ... we conform or abandon. Well, I am getting ahead of the curve ... leave it out of my "still" camera, it will NOT be missed.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-24-2010 at 10:32 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

merging the 2 is absolutely logical. you said you want 14fps...what for ? thats almost shooting video and picking a frame.
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Video isn't high rez

To be fair Rooz wasn't suggesting shooting video, just stills at 24fps. Obviously you could then process to video.
    The A55 does 10fps and it's not hard to image that Sony will want to offer more in higher spec cameras.
    It's technically feasible but preferably not with a mechanical shutter.
    Some P&S use electronic shutters to switch off the sensor but it requires more circuitry which reduces the fill rate (blocks light) and hurts high ISO.
    I'm positive that Sony is working in this direction and the backlight sensor may come into play after all.
    The A55 reduces manufacturing cost (increases profit) by dumping the flapping mirror; dumping the shutter for an electronic solution would bring similar gains to Sony.
    Not bad either, for Users, imagine a FF A99 with a dead silent shutter, I could live with that.

correct peter. what i'm trying to say i guess is 14fps is not far off just filming something. does that not slightly comprimise the art/ technique of photography ? just press the shutter and pick a frame in focus ? i know this is a debate that has raged for a while though...

as for the 10fps, from reading a couple of reviews, it seems just a bit of a marketing gimmick. i dont think you'll see 14fps authentically in a sony dslr in the near future. the major benefit of course that will come of the evolution of electronic shutter is sync speed with flash.
    flickr

I agree with gimmick to an extent. High frame rate per se does nothing for me either.
    I don't think I've ever used fast drive mode except to bracket an image.

I would rather have time lapse. That goes straight to video..

Full time control..
    I have it on one of my sony video cameras but it only goes down to .5 second every 30 seconds... .5 second instead of one frame..wth

Some cams used to have intervalometer but...