Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Some shots Ive taken on friends wedding this saturday...

The photos were taken in RAW with Canon 7d and 17-55 f/2.8 IS and 700-200 f/4 L IS. Postproduction done in Lightroom 3.
    I will be greatfull for any critisism and tips on what I can improve on...

Canon 40d, Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4 L IS.

Really good job. I love them a lot
    My Savior, My Leader, My Father and My Shepard.
    I praise thee Lord All Mighty

D700/Nikkor 14-24mm 2.8/Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8/Sigma 70-300mm 4-5.6 APO/ Nikkor 50mm 1.8

Thanks
    This was my first wedding shoot for free as a present for my friends. I took the task seriously though...rented a 7d and a 580 EX flash. I used the 2 lenses which I own. Took 652 shots in RAW out of which I lightroomed 213. Eventualy I printed 103 shots on an 8 color plotter at work in 22cm x 18cm format and 5 shots I blew up to 45cm x 30cm (the B&W one with the girl smoking a cigarette is one of them) I put the 103 shots in a nice album and glued the 5 big ones onto a styrofoam-like thingy thing in a xerox place. Eventualy I payed just for the gluing and the album which came down to about 40 bucks. The friends are very happy with the job so it makes me happy too

i LOVE the b&w of the girl smoking..also #1 and #5 are great. i like them all and i think you're gonna be a very good wedding photographer. some are a little processed. it doesn't bother me, but i can see where it will bother a lot of photographers(remember that what you think matters a lot more than some photographer that can criticize anything you put in front of him/her). i think your clients will love them. just try not to fall into that hdrish trap where you're bringing up the shadows and contrast and dropping saturation on everything. you'd be surprised how well a good exposure and a little bump in contrast will look...especially outdoor shots.

p.s. don't be shocked if she doesn't like #6 because of the lines in her face. they will always like the shots they look best in...even if the photography is really good.
    40d | 5d mk II | 2.8/16 zenitar fisheye | 16-35L | 35L | sigma 1.4/50 | sigma 2.8/50 Macro | sigma 1.4/85 | 70-200L IS
    website
    disclaimer: posts are for personal entertainment only...not to be taken seriously...ever.

Quote Originally Posted by adam75south View Post
    i LOVE the b&w of the girl smoking..also #1 and #5 are great. i like them all and i think you're gonna be a very good wedding photographer. some are a little processed. it doesn't bother me, but i can see where it will bother a lot of photographers(remember that what you think matters a lot more than some photographer that can criticize anything you put in front of him/her). i think your clients will love them. just try not to fall into that hdrish trap where you're bringing up the shadows and contrast and dropping saturation on everything. you'd be surprised how well a good exposure and a little bump in contrast will look...especially outdoor shots.

p.s. don't be shocked if she doesn't like #6 because of the lines in her face. they will always like the shots they look best in...even if the photography is really good.
    This is realy informative, especialy your opinion on shot #6...I think You are 100% right - I definately need to take this into consideration. If I will ever do a wedding again that is (its a preaty exhausting job actualy...especialy doing it for free)
    As for the postprocessing, its not easy for me to admit but I've done most of it with 8 free wedding presets that I downloaded for Lightroom 3 - I tweeked manualy only about 20% of the photos. Lightroom 3 has a wonderous automatic lens correction function and some other cool new tools.
    Thanks for the tips, I realy apreciate it !

Edit: I checked out Your flickr and You got some seriously kick butt shots there. I feel like a little kid after browsing thru ur work
    Last edited by koti; 08-28-2010 at 07:37 AM.

thanks, i appreciate that. i couldn't even tell you the last time i updated the flickr and i've probably shot 2 or 3 weddings since.

yea i'm all about lightroom. if it wasn't for lightroom, i wouldn't have the time to keep up with the amount of shots i take..especially from a wedding.

you're totally right on the exhausting part of wedding photography. just wait til you build up your lens collection and you're carrying around a 30lb bag with you. but i think for the creative freedom alone, it's worth it. i love candids and i love documenting things, so wedding photography kinda works out for me in that way.

seriously though, you should pick up some paying gigs after this. those are really good.

did you brighten the eyes at all in #1 or #5? they both have very pretty eyes.
    40d | 5d mk II | 2.8/16 zenitar fisheye | 16-35L | 35L | sigma 1.4/50 | sigma 2.8/50 Macro | sigma 1.4/85 | 70-200L IS
    website
    disclaimer: posts are for personal entertainment only...not to be taken seriously...ever.

thanks, i appreciate that. i couldn't even tell you the last time i updated the flickr and i've probably shot 2 or 3 weddings since.

yea i'm all about lightroom. if it wasn't for lightroom, i wouldn't have the time to keep up with the amount of shots i take..especially from a wedding.

you're totally right on the exhausting part of wedding photography. just wait til you build up your lens collection and you're carrying around a 30lb bag with you. but i think for the creative freedom alone, it's worth it. i love candids and i love documenting things, so wedding photography kinda works out for me in that way.

seriously though, you should pick up some paying gigs after this. those are really good.

did you brighten the eyes at all in #1 or #5? they both have very pretty eyes.
    For #1 I used a preset called "PH Surreal Moment" and a little tweaking - no brightening the eyes, I fired the flash off of the sealing I think...
    For #5 I used the same preset - all light is natural in this shot - no flash.
    The 17-55 f/2.8 is a great lens isnt it
    Heres the link to the wedding presets I used:
    http://www.presetsheaven.com/2009/02...-for-weddings/
    Last edited by koti; 08-28-2010 at 01:04 PM.

the 17-55 is an awesome lens. haven't used it in a while though, mainly because i can't put it on the 5dII. i really need to sell it, but i'm lazy and hate ebay.

when you get a chance, post some more pics from this wedding. at least another one of the smoking girl.
    website

the 17-55 is an awesome lens. haven't used it in a while though, mainly because i can't put it on the 5dII. i really need to sell it, but i'm lazy and hate ebay.

when you get a chance, post some more pics from this wedding. at least another one of the smoking girl.
    Here are a few more shots. I dont have any other "smoking girl" shots, this is the only one. It was shot outside totaly not posed...while lighting the cigarette she turned around to me, saw the big camera with the big flash and got that look somehow
    Shot #1 is the bride and the same girl that smoked the cigarette :

they're gonna be really happy with those koti. how long have you been shooting?
    website