Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

For "InfoLITHIUM" Battery Only?

I picked up a couple of aftermarket batteries so I have a few more on hand in preparation for football shooting season, and unlike any battery I've had before, after fully charging, when inserted, the camera powers up fine, and you can go to a menu, take a shot, etc. But after about 30 seconds, the message For "InfoLITHIUM" Battery Only appears, and then the camera shuts off.

The batteries are lithium ion, with the same power specs.

I see a lot of chatter about this problem with Sony video cameras, with a lot of crazy ideas about shorting the batteries to discharge them, and recharge them, etc. Most of it seems to be old postings.

But when issues like dirty contacts, etc., are eliminated, it seems to be an issue with the battery pack not having the chip to feedback the remaining battery power level, and the camera shutting down because it isn't receiving this feedback.

Anyone seen this message before on a Sony D-SLR, and if so, is there a resolution? Other than sending the batteries back and demanding a refund?

Also, anyone know of anything that identifies what aftermarket batteries work, and which ones don't, other than trial and error?
    A350, A200
    Tamron 70-200 SP AF DI-LD 77mm, Tamron 70-300 58mm, Minolta AF 50, Minolta AF 100 55mm, Sigma 20-70 52mm, Tamron 200-400 77mm, Tamron 28-300 XR DI-LD 62mm, Tamron 28-80 58mm, Minolta AF 70-210 55mm, Tamron 1.4 teleconverter, Sony 75-300 55mm, Sony 18-70 55mm, Sigma EF 530 flash, Canon S3.
    Go Beavs!

Oh dear, not so good. I'd say they need to go back.
    I have two non-Sony batteries and there's been no problem in an A700 and A900.
    Name:  NP-FM500H.jpg
Views: 4344
Size:  1.13 MB
    I can't really remember which is which but I think the bottom one may be the fake.
    I think it's a bit of a lottery unless you know the supplier.

Cool My experience ...

I got kind of a similar result with the two non-SONY batteries I had purchased ... and what I wound up doing was matching one with a SONY original NP-FM500H ... in the Vertical Grip and eliminating the problem that way.

It has seemed to work ... although the non-SONY battery does not seem to indicate drainage, until it is exhausted. I do not use it as a "stand alone" battery in the camera, as the VG is usually attached.

Just for the record.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

make sure you are using the right number....many look alike but they are internally different

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I got kind of a similar result with the two non-SONY batteries I had purchased ... and what I wound up doing was matching one with a SONY original NP-FM500H ... in the Vertical Grip and eliminating the problem that way.
    Just for the record.
    For the record, I tried that, and the Sony battery worked, but only until switching to the third party battery. As before, after about 30 seconds (the battery left function must periodically poll the battery pack, not constantly monitor it), the message appears, and then neither battery would work, until the grip was removed, and either the Sony battery was put in, or the grip was loaded with two Sony batteries.

I'm thinking the only aftermarket ones that aren't a total crap shoot at best will be the ones from a source that states something like "Supports InfoLithium Technology", since they have probably been burned, then actually done some research and testing, and know this is a selling point.
    A350, A200
    Tamron 70-200 SP AF DI-LD 77mm, Tamron 70-300 58mm, Minolta AF 50, Minolta AF 100 55mm, Sigma 20-70 52mm, Tamron 200-400 77mm, Tamron 28-300 XR DI-LD 62mm, Tamron 28-80 58mm, Minolta AF 70-210 55mm, Tamron 1.4 teleconverter, Sony 75-300 55mm, Sony 18-70 55mm, Sigma EF 530 flash, Canon S3.
    Go Beavs!

Whilst on the subject, here's some info on L-Ion batteries, some of which may surprise you.

Unhappy No handy spares ... what?

I must say, Peter, there were some eye-opening revelations in that article you submitted ... which really will make the way I work with these batteries a bit different than the accepted battery practices of the past. To say the least, it lends more confusion to the overall approach.

While my camera batteries are an event by themselves, the portable (HVL-FxxAM) flash battery cycle is a heck of a lot more "bothersome" and frequent. They are usually exhausted after most day-long shoots or sooner.

The one aspect that really caught me off guard, from the aforementioned article, was the idea of not being able to carry a conveniently charged set of spare Li-ION batteries for my α700/α850 bodies.

But, it really sounds more like a "getting around to them" kind of deal w/o long-time storage in a camera bag. According to my understanding of the article, we probably should be recharging the Li-ION batteries after a serious dent in their capacity and not waiting until "switch over" in the VG grip @ 0% (which was my normal practice). So, in this case, a convenient third battery would probably be best ... to be switched out at, say, 20%, instead of 0, to provide the most flexibility for the battery and after 30 uses ... a full drop to 0% and back to full to keep the internal metering working correctly.

Again, that makes the whole shebang kind of weird, in that your second (#2) battery in your VG would not be "envoked", as after replacing the #1 with a fresh one, the #1 would, again, be at 100%, thereby making the #2 the point of long-time storage. A relatively simple work-around could be during the battery change, swapping the #2 for the #1, and then putting the "fresh 100% spare" into the #2 spot, instead. This way, the #2 gets cycled and not subject to "long term" idleness.

This "work-around" does not require more attention than I can practically give the system, but something I will incorporate into my process. As it stands, I have 5 of these Li-ION packs in use ... and there is no way I can, at this time, tell them for one another. I suppose I could run a chart, color coding each cell, in order to keep track, but that really is becoming serious and superfluous overhead, when you think about it.

Portability has a price. I am also noticing some batteries drain differently than others. That may be directly due to this "unusual" charging cycle these devices have. I have to say, in my opinion, this is not much fun to deal with. And with the idea that keeping "ready spares" are impractical along with it ... well, just seems like more salt-in-the-wound.

I also need to remember that my camera use is exceptionally high compared to most of the other members of the SONY DSLR forum. It really is nothing to fully exhaust both batteries in a day or two. Filling the 64GB card will do it with no problem whatsoever. The wedding shoot from last weekend was nearly 800 images ... just the wedding and reception. None of the rehearsal stuff or formal setting shoots. The Rockford Airfest, if I had stayed the full day, would have rung up, easily, 2000-shots. I was shot by 2PM ... that sun was murder.

Anyway, Peter, thanks for sharing the info.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-21-2010 at 09:26 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I thought the information would raise some eyebrows.
    It sure surprised the hell out of me and old habits die hard.
    This old dog is having to learn some new tricks.

Red face Good info.

Thanks for posting the link. That site has a lot of other useful battery technology info. as well.

Given the high cost of these things, and the problems with third party products, knowledge is really valuable.

I mostly rotate my batteries, but its obviously an inexact process. The down side is still that the whole fleet goes south at about the same time unless you deliberately introduce new units periodically.

And who knew keeping these batteries in the refrigerator would be a good idea! Excess heat I understand being a problem, but I was surprised to learn room temperature is significantly worse than refrigerated for L-ION.
    A350, A200
    Go Beavs!

Thumbs down Substantive alternatives ...

Andy,

I do not know of many photographers running around with refrigerators in their cars. Keeping batteries on ice is a little too much to consider to be practical about it.

It seems to be a rather simple debate of what would make me madder ... finding my two Li-ION batteries at 50% in my case ... or having forgotten them, altogether, in the home refrigerator, trying to keep them well-charged ... when I am miles away!

Clearly, some improvements should be offered. Heck, I'd even like the option of going with an emergency "AA", like the older Minolta Maxxum/Dynax SLR cameras could.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-21-2010 at 09:24 AM.

flickr & Sdi