Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thumbs up Wedding festivities

My niece married her childhood friend ... and another couple join the ranks of "Married, filing jointly".

My brother got her safely to the church ... and when they opened those doors ... I knew me and the Sun were going to have issues.

Name:  _DSC9081-crop-adj.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  405.5 KB

Name:  _DSC9106-crop-adj.jpg
Size:  559.8 KB

After the ceremony, there was a three hour delay before the start of the reception, so I booked home and produced the next two images in 13" x 19" prints to quickly give to the bride and groom.

Name:  _DSC9119-crop-adj.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  420.5 KB

Name:  _DSC9128-crop-adj.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  395.4 KB

They wound up being posted at the sign-in desk with other images of the couple ... and it was hilarious when the other three wedding parties at the reception hall were amazed and shocked to see the fresh-from-the-ceremony images ... posted right there. Even the "paid" photographer was a bit stunned. That EPSON 3800 can really bust some chops ... LOL.

Anyway ... I have hundreds of images to sort through, but one caught my eye of the bride during one of the line dances.

Shot at ISO-6400, I was able to increase my shutter speed and got some interesting results ...

As the bride shook out a little visual magic on the dance floor ...
    Name:  _DSC9600-crop-adj.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  558.7 KB
    a850 w/ SIGMA 24-70mm f/1.8 DG EX IF HSM
    @ 24mm - f/2.8 - 1/60 sec - ISO-6400 - WB=Tungsten - Ambient lighting? - Handheld - SSS="On"

Just a little more ...
    Name:  _DSC9563-crop-adj.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  595.4 KB

It's ready ... everybody dance, now!
    Name:  _DSC9459-crop-adj.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  735.8 KB

Stuff the wedding photographer would never experiment with. You need to bear in mind that the human eye cannot really see (real time) what the camera was able to capture, as the DJ's projection lights were constantly in motion and changing. I just wanted to share the dazzling captures ... and have people know there is a lot more going on than what you believe you are seeing.

During their "first dance" as hubby and bride ... I went for an unusual lighting angle to produce a novel shadow effect.

Shadow Dancin'

Name:  _DSC9285-crop-adj.jpg
Size:  329.6 KB
    a850 w/ TAMRON SP AF 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD
    @ 90mm - f/8 - 1/60 sec. - ISO-400 - Spot Metering - Manual - Mecablitz 75 MZ-5 flash down on deck

All in all, an awesomely fun time was had by all, with singing, dancing and hilarity the likes I have not seen in ... geez, forget it ... this was a true original. The attendees really wanted to be there and they made the most of it.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-21-2010 at 12:20 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

got to have smoke with lights

I think there will be plenty of that ... after the lights go down ... later.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-15-2010 at 01:35 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Smoke it up
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Red face Always horsin' around ...

I think you are just trying to throw a cloud over the situation, Steve. Thank goodness that Life is not quite that dramatic, in the overall ... and the human race continues ...

flickr & Sdi

It appears to me that the horse was eating a good spicy chili prior to the shoot, and should have gotten a good dose of "Beano" before being mounted.
    Joe Holmes
    Sony α550
    Sony HVL-F42AM Flash
    Sony DT18-55 F3.5-5.6 (Kit Lens)
    Minolta Maxxum 50 1:1.7(22) Prime
    Minolta 35-70 F4 (Mini Beercan)
    Minolta 70-210 F4 (Beercan)
    Minolta 28-135 F4-4.5 (This beast is pretty heavy)
    Minolta Maxxum 100-200 F4.5
    Quantaray D28-90 1:3.5-5.6 Ver 5
    Tamron DiII 55-200 1:4.5-6

Thumbs up Why not shoot a SONY?

All in all, as a wedding shoot, of all my other camera systems, the SONY was a decent choice and the 24-70 & 70-200 lenses got their chance to play.

As expected, in the lower light, the TAMRON was a test to work with. Normally, most people are not shooting long in the dark ... so, it worked. The shoulder bag is a bit lighter toting it over the 70-400.

I did not deploy slave flash, as the "paid" photographer was running around with his, keyed to his Canon system. I have a notion that he was eyeballin' my mecablitz 76. It's kind of hard to miss.

Anyway, the rest of the worked up images can be found here.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-21-2010 at 12:09 PM.

flickr & Sdi